Absolute Frustration

Options
So I started using MFP about 3.5 weeks ago. I have been exercising a minimum of 4x/week for a minimum of 45 minutes each time. My average weekly calorie burn is about 2500 calories. I've tracked my food. Only once have I eaten more calories than I've supposedly expended.

So why have I GAINED five pounds?

Replies

• allisoncook87
    allisoncook87 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Could be muscle, Take measurements and before pictures :) I feel like your body has to gain muscle before it can burn it's fat.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    It's not likely muscle growth - it takes a long time to build a noticeable amount of muscle weight (more than 3.5 weeks!). Some questions:

-Are you watching your sodium? 5 lbs can easily be water weight. (Also comes into play during certain times of the month for women).

-What is your daily calorie goal? Do you get close to your goal each day, or do you have a lot leftover? Are you eating some/most of your exercise calories? What were your habits before you started on MFP - are you eating more now than you used to? If you're not eating *enough* that can backfire and cause your body to hold onto weight. If you ate too little before starting MFP and are now eating a healthy amount, your body is likely going through an adjustment period and you should just stick with it.

-What types of foods are you eating? Some people lose weight much more easily when they avoid processed foods, gluten, dairy, etc. (or any combination of those).
  • rsbuckell
    rsbuckell Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Definately muscle gain and also you are probably taking on more liquid. Even small amounts of exercise will gain muscle and since it's heavier than fat you will notice a gain. But you will also notice a figure change as well as you tone up. If you can afford to invest in a good pair of bathroom scales that will measure not just weight but BMI, Muscle Mass, BMR, H2O, etc. Keep it up though it does work but remember to increase your protein intake if you are working hard and burning muscle and take time to recover between exercise days.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    Seriously - despite what people are saying, it's not muscle growth. People want to think it is, but it really does take a bit of time to grow muscle, and it's very hard to do (almost impossible, but not quite) while on a calorie deficit.
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    Listen to Trenton, he is correct. It takes a good amount of time to put on muscle, a good bit more than a 3 1/2 weeks. People WISH it only took 3 1/2 weeks to put on muscle. When you begin (and really throughout) you will see increases and drops.

Likely due to :
    - Water retention
    - Excess waste
    - Normal weight fluctuations (if you are just now monitoring your weight maybe this is a normal pattern)
    - Water retention in your muscles
    - Certain foods can cause bloating
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    It's not muscle. Builders try for months to build 5 pounds of muscle. It's not going to happen in a couple of weeks by accident.

Accountant_boi covered all of the main causes, but you might want to open up your diary so people can have a look and comment. Sodium is a main culprit as is TOM. The other main causes is either eating too much or too little so those things people would need to see your diary for.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    I would lean more toward water retention all around, especially in your muscles....so yes, those who said retention in all forms are all correct.....and if you are looking for true help, making your diary public so others can see would be useful as well.
  • newbecca423
    Options
    I've been watching my sodium intake and I don't eat a lot of pre-packaged meals, etc.. I lost 100 pounds on Weight Watchers, put 25 (now almost 30) back on & decided I didn't like the new WW plan so I decided to go for straight calories in & calories out. Some days I eat my "extra" calories, some days I don't. Maybe I'll try upping the calorie intake some.

I'll see if I can figure out how to make my journal public.

Thanks, everyone!
  • GreenTeaForDays
    GreenTeaForDays Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    1. 5 pounds is insignificant in the scheme of things, don't sweat it. As mentioned before, could be water weight, muscle, food build up in your intestines... etc. you would have to be in surplus of 17,500 calories to gain that much in fat. It CAN'T be fat if you are being true in your logging.

2. make sure you are logging correctly, drink PLENTY of water and try and lower your sodium intake if you think it is high.

3. measure yourself every few weeks. if your volume is shrinking and your mass is going up your body MUST becoming more dense (i.e. muscle growth). This is a fact.

4. always weigh yourself in the morning, naked after using the restroom, before eating... etc. this way your measurements consistent.

5. how do you feel? are you letting yourself feel hunger? do your jeans feel tighter? are your workouts getting better? these are all indications that you are dieting and exercising well, so don't be too harsh on yourself.

Best regards,
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    I've been watching my sodium intake and I don't eat a lot of pre-packaged meals, etc.. I lost 100 pounds on Weight Watchers, put 25 (now almost 30) back on & decided I didn't like the new WW plan so I decided to go for straight calories in & calories out. Some days I eat my "extra" calories, some days I don't. Maybe I'll try upping the calorie intake some.

I'll see if I can figure out how to make my journal public.

Thanks, everyone!

Easiest way is to go into your food diary, then go to Settings. The last set of settings is for the sharing options - there are 4 of them. (Private, friends only, public, password protected)
  • newbecca423
    Options
    My clothes are fitting better and my workouts are getting easier (therefore I'm increasing the intensity). I just realized today's calorie deficit (with my planned evening workouts added in) is over 900 calories. So that's probably not good...

I made my journal public. I'm really trying to change my eating habits - I honestly have only been tracking for a solid week (work travels, etc. interfered). I realized my sodium was high so I started watching that.
  • GreenTeaForDays
    GreenTeaForDays Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    if that is the case, i wouldn't be surprised if you body is just holding on to what it has in fear that there might not be any food available in the near future. i'm a big offender of being behind on my calories and i think it definitely slowed down my weight loss for awhile. if you're really far behind on your calories, try a handful or two of nuts or an extra serving of lean protein. i bet you'll start seeing a drop soon.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    My clothes are fitting better and my workouts are getting easier (therefore I'm increasing the intensity). I just realized today's calorie deficit (with my planned evening workouts added in) is over 900 calories. So that's probably not good...

I made my journal public. I'm really trying to change my eating habits - I honestly have only been tracking for a solid week (work travels, etc. interfered). I realized my sodium was high so I started watching that.

A 900 calorie deficit doesn't seem too out-there, since you have a bit of weight to lose (per your ticker), but I personally wouldn't advocate going much higher than that on a regular basis. The less you have to lose, the smaller your deficit should be. I peeked at your diary and overall your calorie consumptions seems pretty healthy. You had a few days where you had a lot of calories left over, but those were typically days where you did a lot of exercise, and you did eat some of your exercise calories back.

Since you are seeing non-scale related signs of improvement (better fitting clothes, improved fitness level,etc.) I would focus on those, keep on exercising and watching what you eat (maybe tweaking things where you feel they need to be tweaked, like sodium levels) and see what happens. In the grand scheme of things, 3.5 weeks isn't that long, and some people just need more time than others for their bodies to get into the weight-loss groove.
  • newbecca423
    Options
    Thank you all so much!! I'll keep on plugging along. I know I didn't put the weight on overnight & don't expect it to come off quickly, but I hate seeing the scale go in the wrong direction! :-)