Hungry girl

Options
Just found out about this site! It has great low cal, low fat recipes, along with other great tips such as eating out and what to eat, and recipes for your fav food that taste great but made to be healthy! I have found it very helpful and thought I would share!

hungrygirl.com

Replies

• ladyluck5210
    ladyluck5210 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    what a cute website :)
  • friedlillies
    Options
    Hey, I just came accross your post and went and checked that site out! I love the cartoon chick! Too cute. AND I found a healthy version of pesto pasta - I'm going to try out this week! Yummy. Thanks for posting.
  • Maggiemaelynn
    Maggiemaelynn Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I saw a recipe for a low cal mcdonalds frappe! Can't wait to try that one!
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    If you search the recipe section on this site you will find many Hungry Girl recipes. For me, a better site is skinnytaste.com because the recipes are more wholesome. But people love Hungry Girl because she makes low calorie versions of the kinds of foods most people are used to eating.
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I love Hungry Girl...I make her recipes alll the time! In fact I made one tonight, I made the fiesta noodle casserole, and the other day I made too ez mac and cheese.... She also has her own show on the cooking channel. I love all of her tricks but there is one downside to her recipes and that is Sodium..a lot of her recipes are packed with sodium but low in calories so pick your poison I guess :)

http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1298
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1485999
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    She uses a lot of "diet" foods. Fat free stuff, processed stuff, sugar free stuff and fake stuff which is a big turn off for me. I'm by no means a clean or green eater but if I'm going to be making a recipe at home I'd much rather use real ingredients. I avoid artificial sweeteners as much as humanly possible (always have, it's just how I was raised) and she uses stuff with artificial sweeteners like they're going out of style.

Generally, when I get her e-mails I just go straight to the ingredients list, if I see fat free anything, sugar free anything, or cool whip of any kind I hardly even bother reading anything else.

The few things of hers I have made I've ended up modifying pretty heavily. Her base recipes were all really bland and so I always swap stuff out and add some seasonings and spices to make things better. Like not using pre-mixed "Cajun" seasoning in one recipe (they're all loaded with sodium) and using a combo of chili powder, cayenne and crushed red pepper flakes instead. Dropped the sodium down and tasted way better.