1 lb. = 3500 calories. :)

A pound of body fat equates to approximately 3500 calories. So if you have a calorie deficit of 500 calories (meaning that you burn 500 calories more than you eat each day) you would lose approximately one pound per week:

500 x 7 = 3,500

It's easy to see that a calorie deficit of 1000 calories would mean that you'd lose approximately two pounds per week. And that's a good number to remember, because two pounds a week is commonly accepted as the maximum rate of weight loss that is healthy. Losing weight too quickly has other disadvantages, too, and we'll be discussing this in the next topic.

Replies

• A pound of body fat equates to approximately 3500 calories. So if you have a calorie deficit of 500 calories (meaning that you burn 500 calories more than you eat each day) you would lose approximately one pound per week:

500 x 7 = 3,500

It's easy to see that a calorie deficit of 1000 calories would mean that you'd lose approximately two pounds per week. And that's a good number to remember, because two pounds a week is commonly accepted as the maximum rate of weight loss that is healthy. Losing weight too quickly has other disadvantages, too, and we'll be discussing this in the next topic.
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Sounds pretty basic and doable eh? It's putting it into real life that is the challenge:grumble:
  • definitely!! :smile:
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Wow . . . I've seen the chemical structure of fat so I know how much energy it packs (a ton!) but that still surprises me somehow. Good to know, thank you!
  • no problem... I was suprised myself.:wink: