Afraid to start exercise again

Options
I've been sick for litterally three weeks, every time I think I'm better I wake up the next day feeling like crap. I have a cough that refuses to leave, I'm sore, I'm congested and basically I feel like poo.

But like I said every fews days I start to think I'm better, I go out there and try to keep up with the rest of the world and then the next day I pay for it.
I really really want to start exercising again(I stoped becasue I litterally couldn't breath or move to do anything but lay on the couch or sit at my desk) but I'm afrid if I do my health will just backslide again because I'm still not well.
I have my wedding shower in 4 weeks and really want to kick things up a notch so I can fit into a nice dress by then!
So to exercise or not to exercise that is the question.....

Replies

• lilcrittert
    lilcrittert Posts: 105
    Options
    Sounds like flu symptoms we've had here. Have you been to the doc?

I wouldn't push the exercise until you've talked to a physician.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I'd start off slow, then gradually get the effort back up to what you were doing before you got sick. The important thing is to do something. Anything. Take a stroll, then if you feel good enough, make it into a walk, then a brisk walk, etc. Once you start doing something, usually the inclination is to keep going since you're already doing it.
  • Daisy_May
    Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I haven't been to the doctors because every time I think that's it I'm going, I feel better, then the next day I feel like poo again.
    My Finace has it as well, as does a lady I work with, we are all over three weeks with it now!
  • kalibsmom
    kalibsmom Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have had the exact same thing for well over a month...keep getting put on antibiotics but just can't shake the fever and cough. I feel like poo too. But I think that I have decieded that today no excuses I am going to workout! Hope you feel better!
  • Lynnah
    Lynnah Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could try some lower impact exercise like pilates or yoga? It's great for toning, and still burns calories - a bit less harsh on your body than running etc though.
    Hope you feel better soon!
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Reading your post was like looking into a mirror I have literally been sick for over a month now. I don't know what kind of cold is going around but it seems to be the cold from hell and no matter what I do it won't release me! I alos have asthma which makes the breathing problems a 100 times worse. I stopped working out for at least about 3 weeks because I literally didn't have the strength or the oxygen. Just this last week I've been able to do a little bit more but nowhere near what I should be doing.

Listen to your body it will let you know when it's ready. Never push yourself when your health is at risk your main focus should be getting better continue to eat properly but I would let go of the exercising till their is no doubt that your ready!
  • picturesing
    picturesing Posts: 228
    Options
    It sounds like Tamiflu would have been appropriate in the beginning. Not sure how effective it would be at this point.
    GO TO THE DOC!!! Anytime these sx last this long or abx don't help it's viral - ie...the flu! Don't excersice until you have at least 2 or more good days in a row. Then start slow....stretching then walking and gradually build again.
    Good luck and hope you all feel better.....oh yeah - chicken noodle soup won't hurt either - comfort food!!!!
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I have had the exact same thing for well over a month...keep getting put on antibiotics but just can't shake the fever and cough. I feel like poo too. But I think that I have decieded that today no excuses I am going to workout! Hope you feel better!

I've been taking antibiotics prednisone, and Advair for over a month now and still coughing! I've been so miserable there is definitely something awful going around!
  • Heather0611
    Heather0611 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    That doesn't sound too good if it's been 3 weeks, might want to get it checked out just in case. Might need some meds to clear it up. I caught a cold two Thursday's ago and it wiped me out! In bed all weekend and going back to work Monday was tough. I work out with a trainer every Tuesday night for an hour, and he pushes me hard. On that Tuesday it happend that I missed two workouts the weeks before. So on Tuesday I was stil very tired and had congestion and a runny nose. But I thought I can't miss one more week. Not to discourage you, but the workout was aweful! My nose was running the whole time, I was weak, I was tired, it was just a bad workout overall. I went home after and cried for a bit (not really sure why, just sore and tired and needed to cry I guess, LoL). So this week I'm feeling much better and am looking forward to my session tonight. Basically my advise is don't push it until you are better, in my case working out didn't make me feel any better, only worse. Let your body rest and get better, watch what you eat, and once you are feeling better get back into it.

My wedding shower is coming up on April 9th, congrats to you! When is your wedding??
  • Daisy_May
    Options

My wedding shower is coming up on April 9th, congrats to you! When is your wedding??

MIne is April 3rd, my wedding is July 23rd. The shower is crazy early for some strange reason, I was hoping it's be in the summer so I'd have more time to lose weight! When's your wedding?
  • Daisy_May
    Options
    I also haven't been to the doctor becaseu he rarley(like unless I have strep throat) puts me on anibiotics anyways becasuse I'm allergic to almost everyone of them so he hates to put me on them unless he has no choice.
  • Heather0611
    Heather0611 Posts: 58 Member
    Options

MIne is April 3rd, my wedding is July 23rd. The shower is crazy early for some strange reason, I was hoping it's be in the summer so I'd have more time to lose weight! When's your wedding?

LoL, that's ok. I'm sure you will be beautiful for the shower, and think of all those gifts :smile: My wedding is June 11th, it seems like everything is going fast this year! Best of luck to you with the planning and the weight loss. Keep me updated if you want!
  • naebear99
    naebear99 Posts: 73
    Options
    My experience here is that there's a lot of nasty bugs on the air this year. DH and I both had flus for weeks. On the other hand, I can name five people I personally know who also got pneumonia afterward. Go get it checked. If your do for does nothing, consider a second opinion, just to be sure. Odds are you'll get better soon, and I wish you well, but I wanted to let you know that this does seem to be a bad year, sickness wise
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    this is week 7 of me being ill - so I know how you feel!

I have since left my gym and just go for nice long walks instead - today I walked for 2 hours and burnt over 900 calories!

I found out on Friday I might have stomach uclers and its possible that its burst already so theres no chance of me doing anything ultra heavy exercise wise at the minute because I dont want to make myself worse but walks are just as good - and if you still feel like rubbish I would have a chat with your GP :)
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    The general rule I've always heard/gone by is that if the illness is above the throat (I.e. headcold, stuffed up/runny nose, etc.) then it's okay, and even beneficial, to work out.

But anything in the chest that causes a cough or painful breathing should keep you benched until it's gone.

So I'd say to keep on with the my working out, and if you really haven't seen any improvement at all, to go see a doctor. One of my staff here at work just thought he had a bad cold/cough but when he finally went to the doctor it was bronchitis.