Applying self tanning lotion

Options
Oompa_Loompa
Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
Do any of you out there have any tips on how to apply it? I cannot get it to look right around my wrist area and ankles. I noticed the other day at the gym that there was pretty much a line at my wrists. my arms were a tint darker and my hand not so much lol. Uughh I wish i could be naturally tan

Replies

• funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Use some latex gloves and make sure you apply it right down your feet. Are you using gradual or instant (like st tropez)? After I finish my whole body and take my gloves off I rub a light layer all over my hands as though I'm applying moisturiser - but don't use too much or they look a ghastly orange and make sure to get right in between the fingers at the base!

I learnt a good tip at the London College of Fashion for doing your own back: Apply the fake tan mousse to a strip on cling film then rub that back and fourth across your back (like a towel)!
  • seemichellerun
    Options
    I'm a natural redhead. EMBRACE THE PALE!!!!
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    put the lotion in your hands and sprinkle a few drops of water in with it.then apply. Also, around your jointed areas, dampen a cotton ball and lightly dab those areas after you apply. I heard that Loreal Sublime is a great product. Good Luck.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    It's reallllly tough to get it to look right in these areas. The two things that have worked alright for me in the past are the aerosol spray versions (don't rub it in, just let it dry) and the Jergen's daily glow lotion (takes a lot longer, like 5 days to develop color, but it goes on really well). Make sure you're exfoliating VERY WELL before EVERY application and make sure you use a good, heavy moisturizer before you apply it. Also, let it dry thoroughly before putting on any clothes.
  • amstein18
    amstein18 Posts: 131
    Options
    look into the Neutrogena Spray Mist!! that's what i use and i've never had an issue :)
  • veniceit
    veniceit Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Arrrggg I hate that too, it's a real pain in the butt.

1. Exfoliate well
    2. Moisturize well
    3. add a bit of extra moisturizer on dry area's and feet, ankles and wrists, leave it a bit thicker.
    4. sometimes I mix a bit of reg lotion with the self tanner for the tricky areas.
    5. Cross your fingers.

Ven
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    Have you tried getting a spray tan from Sun Tan City?

I got to STC but I use the tanning beds. The fastest bed is awesome!! Noticed that tanning brings out the toning & sculpting through out my body! Love It!!! LOL
  • blh_1010
    blh_1010 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    It's reallllly tough to get it to look right in these areas. The two things that have worked alright for me in the past are the aerosol spray versions (don't rub it in, just let it dry) and the Jergen's daily glow lotion (takes a lot longer, like 5 days to develop color, but it goes on really well). Make sure you're exfoliating VERY WELL before EVERY application and make sure you use a good, heavy moisturizer before you apply it. Also, let it dry thoroughly before putting on any clothes.

This is what I use when I want to start looking like I have a tan since Tanning bed scare me...though I will probably have to do a fake bake before the Honeymoon...but I don't really want too...for my hands, I would only put a small amount on them, and I washed them like crazy, and I only do them every other day. My elbows and knees I would do every other day as well. And also like she said here make sure you aer fully dry before putting on clothes you like or sit down anywhere...some of my bedsheets are stained from them (I always put it on before bed...gives me time to dry and not feel so sticky (that's what Lotion makes me feel like) during the day). PLUS with this type of lotion (I use the pale one) it brings out your natural skin tone so it look like you really are tanning and it looks pretty natural :)
  • milehighcritic
    Options

Being a redhead I thought I have heard them all. Thanks for the laugh. :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

I agree. Not a redhead, but a very pale brunette. :)

Although I have used self tanner on my legs from time to time, just to prevent blinding people from the glare off the pure whiteness.
  • Arester
    Arester Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I've found that using a make-up sponge with a small amount of tanning lotion on it and blotting around wrists, ankles, etc works well. If I use the tanning lotion, I add another lotion with some shimmer to it. I feel that the shimmer lotion helps the tanning lotion go on evenly.

I have to agree with some of the other posts about using a spray self tanner (Like Neutrogena). Those do work really well. :happy:

Hope this helps! Good luck on getting that perfect sunless tan. :flowerforyou: