The Right Workout Shoes???

Options
Anyone have any ideas of the right workout shoes for flat footed people? For some reason my workout shoes leave my feet hurting during and at the end of a workout!

Replies

• bird1215
    bird1215 Posts: 1
    Options
    I've been using Vibram Five Fingers to run in. I've also been doing p90x. I think they're great. They really change the way you land on your feet.

Basically, though, you have to be willing to look like a weird frog person.
  • advocatus
    Options
    Do you have a Fleet Feet store in your hometown? If you know you have low arches, spending a little more for shoes picked especially for your feet can really help make your workouts be less painful.

I strongly advise against Vibram Five Fingers... those shoes require special training to use without injuring yourself. We have evolved to need shoes.
  • dkiles
    dkiles Posts: 45
    Options
    I go to a local running store and have them fit me for shoes. I've been doing that for a few years and I am happy with what I get and I get a good price. Good stores like that will let you try them out and if they don't work they will let you return them.
  • jenfaye
    jenfaye Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I'll look into all those suggestions. I use those arch support inserts but for some reason it still not helping.
  • pasturecove
    Options
    There are several articles on the subject of flat vs. contoured shoes. I run quite a bit and have found that anything with a high incline gives me terrible shin splints and hip pain. For basic working out - aerobic exercises and the like - I use shoes just to keep from slipping. I have a high arch and using shoes with inserts designed to prop up my high arch hurt like heck. Keep in mind that anytime you go to a shoe store, especially a specialty store for runners or exercising, they are all going to preach that they are the best. You just have to do your research to determine what choice you want to make.

Here are some articles:

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2008/03/running-shoes-solution-or-problem.html

http://www.therunningfront.com/running-form/1287/
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    I go to a local running store and have them fit me for shoes. I've been doing that for a few years and I am happy with what I get and I get a good price. Good stores like that will let you try them out and if they don't work they will let you return them.

Same here. I have flat feet and just thought it was par for the course until I went to a running store. They check for things like foot measurements, gait, running style among other things. They come with a guarantee too. Since I bought mine at my local running store, I've done three 5k runs on my own to train for an upcoming race and I have had no pain.

I second the running store idea.
  • TenaciousTAZ
    TenaciousTAZ Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. New Balance discontinued my shoes and now I haven't found any that work. I spent over $200 and still no relief. I have orthotics as well. I'm constantly injured due to the wrong shoe, yet haven't found one that works! I have running shoes that are great in heel, but then they give me shin splints due to the webbing in the toe area! GRRR
  • Missevanston
    Missevanston Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I just bought a new pair of Asicis today! Been happy with them in the past. I agree with going to a running shoe store. They will be more attentive and work with you to find a pair that is well suited for your foot style. Best of Luck!
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    I should've added that my running shoes are Asics too!
  • jenfaye
    jenfaye Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the recommendations. Will definitely look into every one of them.