WHAT IS A GOOD DETOX/CLEANSER TO USE?

Options
I AM HAVING SERIOUS STOMACH PAINS AND SOMEONE MENTIONED DETOXING,(THEY JUST STARTED TODAY) TO GET RID OF ALL THAT STUFF IN YOUR SYSTEM THAT I USE TO EAT. I HAVE BEEN EATING HEALTHY FOR THE PAST MONTH, FRUITS, VEGETABLES PLENT OF WATER AND I MEAN PLENTY AND OF COURSE PROTEIN. I WOULD LOVE TO CLEANSE MY SYSTEM OUT ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    if you're having serious stomach pains, you should go see a doctor, not do something that could make it worse.

just MHO, but really safety first my dear.
  • proverbs31chick
    proverbs31chick Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    if you're having serious stomach pains, you should go see a doctor, not do something that could make it worse.

just MHO, but really safety first my dear.

Thanks, it just started today, if it continues until tomorrow I am going to make an appointment. I wasn't sure if maybe it was just the change in my diet.
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    All I can say is cleansing=diarreah!!! TMI, I know. Just make sure not to do those "master cleanses" where you don't eat. That is not healthy. I use a colon cleanser about once a month (and still eat) and I notice a difference. I did research though. Google comparison colon cleanser. Good Luck. If I remember, I will get the name tonight and get that to you.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    Yes, SHBoss hit it on the head. Cleanses are not good. Your body does that on its own, just start eating cleaner and exercise. You should see a doc if you are in pain though. I 100% agree!
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I agree with Banks. I do cleanses, but NEVER if there is serious pain. If you have something going on in your gastrointestinal tract and attempt a first time clease with little experience and knowledge, you are likely to harm yourself pretty bad. First see a doctor, make sure you are ok. Then, if all is well, increase your water, fresh veggies and fruits, and decrease your animal products for a while. Then slowly ease back into meat and dairy if you choose.

I'm not a fan of store bought cleansers/detox programs. You can detox naturally, you just need an understanding of how YOUR body works as well as an understanding of what foods and herbs naturally assist the body in its normal functions.
  • proverbs31chick
    Options
    Yes, SHBoss hit it on the head. Cleanses are not good. Your body does that on its own, just start eating cleaner and exercise. You should see a doc if you are in pain though. I 100% agree!

I have been eating cleaner and exercising, I am wondering if that is causing the pain( really more of a discomfort bloated feeling.)
  • TimarieS
    TimarieS Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Dual action cleanse, by applied nutrition, but don't buy it online, people have been scammed doing that, they sell it at cvs and other pharmacies.
    it has a total body cleanse and a colon cleanse, you do them together, i lost 6 inches from my midsection when i did it last year, because it pushes out all the built up stuff that is clogging your intestines
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Dual action cleanse, by applied nutrition, but don't buy it online, people have been scammed doing that, they sell it at cvs and other pharmacies.
    it has a total body cleanse and a colon cleanse, you do them together, i lost 6 inches from my midsection when i did it last year, because it pushes out all the built up stuff that is clogging your intestines

No offense, but if you really lost 6 inches from doing something like that, then you should probably see a doctor. Our intestines are designed to cleanse themselves (and the liver/kidneys cleanse the rest of the body - remove toxins, etc.) - drink enough water, eat enough fiber and your body will take care of itself. A healthy person will not have anything "building up" in the intestinal tract.

These cleanses/detoxes are unnecessary and mostly a big waste of money, especially when done for weight loss purposes. Furthermore, when someone attempts one of these and has health problems, such a cleanse/detox can aggrivate the health problem. It's not a smart idea to go around telling anyone that some random off-the-shelf detox/cleanse is what they need, especiallyw hen their post suggests they might need to see a doctor.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options

I have been eating cleaner and exercising, I am wondering if that is causing the pain( really more of a discomfort bloated feeling.)

If you suddently increased your fiber intake (from veggies, whole grains, etc.) that can definitely cause bloating/discomfort. Check your fiber intake and if it's a lot higher than it used to be, you'll need to just give it time, or decrease it and then increase it more gradually to the recommended levels. That said, if you really are experiencing pain and the discomfort doesn't go away, a doctor's visit is your best option.
  • honeyandsparks
    Options
    Check your fiber intake. I always get all the fiber I'm supposed to in a day (20-30 g), but when I did the Daniel Diet (where you eat nothing but veggies and whole grains), my fiber intake went up to around 50 grams and I was in so much pain! Bloated, uncomfortable, gassy, you name it. So if you just started eating healthy and your amount of daily fiber has increased a lot, you either need to cut back on fiber, or give your body a week or two to adjust.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options

If you upped your fiber drastically recently that might becausing the bloating and discomfort. Eating cleaner suggests more fresh foods which contain more fiber. If I were you I would drink lots of water, but continue on doing the same thing. I still recommend seeing a doctor if it continues. Basically, if you have been eating clean and exercizing, you ARE detoxing. Try some ginger, it helps with naeusea and bloating. Warm to hot water first thing in the morning will aslo help move things along naturally without stimulants.
  • proverbs31chick
    Options

No offense, but if you really lost 6 inches from doing something like that, then you should probably see a doctor. Our intestines are designed to cleanse themselves (and the liver/kidneys cleanse the rest of the body - remove toxins, etc.) - drink enough water, eat enough fiber and your body will take care of itself. A healthy person will not have anything "building up" in the intestinal tract.

These cleanses/detoxes are unnecessary and mostly a big waste of money, especially when done for weight loss purposes. Furthermore, when someone attempts one of these and has health problems, such a cleanse/detox can aggrivate the health problem. It's not a smart idea to go around telling anyone that some random off-the-shelf detox/cleanse is what they need, especiallyw hen their post suggests they might need to see a doctor.

Oh no, I wasn't trying to cause anything, I think she was just giving her suggestion. I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL OF YALL'S ADVICE. That is what I love about this website, you guys rock.
  • jknoell
    jknoell Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    First of all, I do not think ALL cleansers are bad. Yes, your system will detox and cleanse itself, but if you want to help it along, as I did, use something wholesome and organic - just my suggestion. I've done research and settled on Total Body Cleanse (Organic) by Renew Life. It is all vegatarian and does not have any harsh chemicals. I do not stay in the bathroom all day. It is a series of pills in the morning and at night. I also take OilSmart pills (omega 3-6-9) by the same brand with my morning pills. You can eat with this - I went out and bought all organic produce and natural stuff to prepare my own meals. I do not drink anything but water and no caffeine. I'm only on day four (out of 14) but I feel better about the choices I am making. So far, this has gently regulated me - there is no diarheaa. I still have slight headaches (from the caffeine withdrawl) and cravings, but they are managable and are getting better by the day. I highly suggest this.

Sounds like you are on the right track - if that pain/bloated feeling continues, you should go to see the doctor. Otherwise, it could definitely be the change in diet - changing a diet drastically can always mess with your insides! :)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

could be simply gas. That would be my guess. When we change eating habits, sometimes the fiber changes cause your body to build up gas. But it could be a worse issue to, if it persists yes, see your doctor, but the last thing I would do would be a cleanse or detox. That's not what those are for (even if I agreed with their methodology).