5k End of April

Options
ckncj
ckncj Posts: 183 Member
I really want to do a 5k at the end of April. Right now I can power walk/jog 3 miles in 30 minutes - which I don't feel is TOO bad considering I don't really jog much at all. Anyone have tips on building up endurance? What worked for you? I'd like to be able to jog the entire time.

Replies

• DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Look into the C25K program a.k.a. Couch to 5K
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K program. Google it.
  • HalfofHilary
    Options
    There is a podcast that goes along with the C25K. It plays music for however long you are to run, bells go off when it's time to walk, then music starts when it's time to run again. It's nice. You don't have to be looking at your watch the whole time"
    http://www.djsteveboy.com/1day25k.html

Today I am Week 1, Day 1..
  • discodroid
    Options
    on the same lines as couch to 5k is the podrunner intervals podcasts. it has the addition of a music track with audible warnings when to change from walk to jog etc. search on itunes for it. I'm only on week 2 but so far so good!
  • teachparents
    teachparents Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first 5k April 10th! i jog/walk the 5k in 39 minutes so you are doing great! i"ve been training for about 3 months.. you are way a head of the game.. way to go!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I really want to do a 5k at the end of April. Right now I can power walk/jog 3 miles in 30 minutes - which I don't feel is TOO bad considering I don't really jog much at all. Anyone have tips on building up endurance? What worked for you? I'd like to be able to jog the entire time.

This may be a silly question, but are you postivie you are going 3 miles? If you are on a TM it may need to be calibrated. While not unheard of, a 10 min pace is what an "elite" power walker would do. For some perspective, that is a pace that a lot of runners are quite happy with. You could walk the 5k and still beat some runners.

C25k is what my hubby has used in the past. You can also do your own thing too. When I started, I just ran for 2-3 minutes, then walked for a few minutes and repeated that cycle until I had run for a total of 15 mins (30 min total TM time). Each week I did longer running sessions until I was running for 15 mins straight, then I built up from there.
  • ckncj
    Options
    Thanks for the podcast tips! That's a great idea.
  • joneal1019
    joneal1019 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Do you have a race picked out?
  • ckncj
    Options
    Yes, I was planning on the RUN DRUGS OUT OF TOWN on April 30... It starts at River Valley High.
  • ckncj
    Options

This may be a silly question, but are you postivie you are going 3 miles? If you are on a TM it may need to be calibrated. While not unheard of, a 10 min pace is what an "elite" power walker would do. For some perspective, that is a pace that a lot of runners are quite happy with. You could walk the 5k and still beat some runners.

C25k is what my hubby has used in the past. You can also do your own thing too. When I started, I just ran for 2-3 minutes, then walked for a few minutes and repeated that cycle until I had run for a total of 15 mins (30 min total TM time). Each week I did longer running sessions until I was running for 15 mins straight, then I built up from there.

My calculation on 3 miles may be incorrect. I can re-drive my route and double-check. Thanks for pointing that out.
  • teachparents
    teachparents Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    someone just guided me to runningmap.com. so now i run, then come home and map out exactly where i ran .. it told me tonight i ran 4.76 km from my house and back again.! you can also use miles.....

try it its awesome and can also be used on ipods and blackberries, etc. i believe.....
  • BrendaBlis
    BrendaBlis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I love Couch to 5K, started out wanting, or liking to run, but it helps you build up to being able to run. :)
  • Ally_Clare
    Ally_Clare Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I love Couch to 5K, started out wanting, or liking to run, but it helps you build up to being able to run. :)

I like it too. I'm up to week 2 and am finding it so much fun and can't wait till i progress to week 9!
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    My calculation on 3 miles may be incorrect. I can re-drive my route and double-check. Thanks for pointing that out.
    [/quote]

Try mapmyrun.com. someone suggested that to me and I have used it several times. It's easier and likely more accurate that finding a route by driving, especially if you run facing traffic on one-way streets!

edited to correct a typo
  • BrendaBlis
    BrendaBlis Posts: 165 Member
    Options

Wow, just re-read, I meant to say that I started out NOT wanting or liking to run... :blushing:

This app does make it fun. :flowerforyou: