Weight Watchers Plus??

Options
A friend is trying to get me to join WW with her. I'm just wondering if it's worth the money. I've heard great things about WW but all the calculations seem confusing.

Replies

• egam
    egam Posts: 127
    Options
    I have the same question actually! Thanks for posting this. My mom wants me to join weight watchers with her but I'm not sure if it is a good idea.
  • SAPPHIREPHOENIX
    Options
    it really isnt hard at all, if you already keep track of food on MFP then thats really what its all about on WW your 90% there the other 10% is really just learning portion control.. good luck!
  • Slavic_Spice
    Slavic_Spice Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I did it, and I like MFP better. I am not real big o the meetings, though. Some people find them motivating. I thought $40 a month was expensive. The website was the most helpful thing for me, and I can get that here for free, without converting to points, which I also found to be confusing.
  • asharkin
    asharkin Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I actually quit WW to do this online since it is free. I liked the old WW plan but I didn't care for the new plan. I felt to restricted from eating carbs and a lot of the foods I loved eating I was now learning didn't fit well into the new plan. They focus more on eating a lot of fruits and veggies which is good but I got burned out on them to the point where I would rather be hungry than eat another apple!

Calories in and calories out is a proven fact - this is free and WW isn't. If this is working for you why spend the money?
  • Flacachica
    Flacachica Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I have done WW before and even the new Points Plus program. It's a good program, but you really have all you need right here on MFP. Plus, MFP is a little less confusing and no "points" to calculate. Trust me, I'd save your money.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I have done WW. It does work, but it is expensive. I get the support I need from MFP and really enjoy it much more.
  • Aubs75
    Aubs75 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have been doing both for a month and really don't like the WW counting points. I also find I have to enter in many things manually in WW where MFP already has the brands and foods I eat programmed from other users.
    My opinion, not worth the money. I really like MFP and is working well for free.
  • nicole00lynn
    Options
    A lot of my friends do weight watchers, its basically the same as MFP, only you pay for it and you get a points calculator. If MFP's working for you then I would just stick to it!
  • KickassYas
    KickassYas Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    gonna be honest... i did WW lost 30 lbs couldn't afford the meetings lost the support and gained it all back. I found MFP same support but online same setup slightly better explanations as to how it all works and have been successful so far. :) why doesn't your friend join you here?

however.... I will say this.. the live meetings and weighing in with a bunch of other people was like really owning up. that was fantastic. the rest of the meeting i could live without. but the weigh in and facing each other with the results was amazing.
  • crrc78
    crrc78 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    After 4 years with WW, I just canceled my subscription and am trying out MFP instead. At the beginning, I had great success with WW, but then I would get stuck or bored and stop tracking what I was eating, or stop attending meetings because it was too frustrating to sit there and listen to everyone brag about their weight loss when I hadn't lost in over a month, etc. I did lose 10% of my weight with WW (just before I got pregnant), but after my pregnancy, and now with the new Points Plus program, I've actually gained 4.5 lbs on the new plan. My heart and soul just can't take weight gain while working so hard to lose, so I'm giving this a whirl. I think that either program is fine, but as someone else stated - Calories In/Calories Out is the bottom line.
    The only difference between this and WW is that WW has suggested daily guidelines such as # of fruit/veg servings, mineral/vitamins, healthy oils, lean proteins, etc - where as MFP is really just about calories.

Good luck with whichever you choose!
  • mageepilot
    mageepilot Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I haven't been since they revamped the plan this time, but it was fairly easy to use. I really think the only benefit to joining WW as opposed to using MFP is the socialization. If you like going to meetings and the personal touch then WW will help.
  • emoflosser
    emoflosser Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've actually had more lucky with MFP. I tried the new points system for about 3 months, but I didn't care for it at all so I canceled it. One week I even gained 3 pounds, it was just very frustrating. I was trying so hard and I had nothing to show for it. MFP is a much better plan for me... plus it's free. :)
  • TimWeis75
    TimWeis75 Posts: 30
    Options
    I did weight watchers for a few years and lost over 80lbs. They give you a slider for points and activity in your first meeting to make the calculations easy.

The meetings are great if you have a good leader and the right group. Chances are you'll find one in your area. If you're struggling, the meetings are a great boost.

I used e-tools for a while when I changed jobs and couldn't make it to my "fun" meetings.

I found MFP recently. It's like WW e-tools, but far more flexible.

Oh, and the price is right. ;)