I know people ask this all the time but...

Options
... will I go into "starvation mode" if I eat 1200 cals and then burn 400?

I think not, but then again I haven't lost any this week yet.

Rawr.

Whatchya think? Is every "body" different?

xoxo

Cate

Replies

• amycrims
    amycrims Posts: 94
    Options
    Yes you will. You need to eat more calories to fuel your exercise. i had trouble believing this too when I joined but everyone agreed you need to up your calorie intake to make up for calories burned during exercise so I listened to them and its working.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I would say test it out and see how things go

I eat about 1400-1600 and burn around 600 on average and I am losing quite nicely :]
  • KellieR56
    KellieR56 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I lost 2 pounds last week by eating OVER my calorie goal but working it off. when I was in "starvation" mode all week once, I barely saw any movement on the scale
  • shanhawk
    shanhawk Posts: 44
    Options
    Starvation mode takes more than 1 day to achieve....If you stay below 1200 cals for an extended period of time then yes, you would be in starvation mode. your body needs fuel (food) to function. If your not feeding you body enough it will hold on to what it is given, so you wouldn't be losing any weight. So it's best to stay at 1200 NET cals per day if not more.
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 and burn about 350. I see great results and am not hungry, and no - my body doesn't go into 'starvation mode.'
  • lyndisue15
    lyndisue15 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    yep, i think ever body is different and burns/loses a bit differently. see what works for you...but i'd try it out for a bit longer than a week. make sure your drinking plenty of water and not taking in too much sodium!
  • SoFLYFireman
    SoFLYFireman Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Personally, It's all about your body, some people bodies respond differently to different things, which is why there is so much debate about nutrition and fitness. If you're not loosing, bump it up 500 or 600 calories, for me, I would lose eating under and then gain it right back, now that i'm eating a lot more i'm still losing continuously and keeping it off. Although, make sure you are eating very well balanced meals, and plenty of fiber. Just balace it out and you should be fine :) and again it's all about the way your body reacts. Hope this helps and good luck!
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    While every body is different, this isn't a good idea.

In a sense, you're negating any benefits you might receive from the exercise, because it's hard for muscle to build if you're only netting 800 calories a day. Muscle needs fuel to grow. You're body thinks it's in a famine, so it's making the most of every calorie and holding onto the fat just in case the famine turns for the worse.

Try eating back your exercise calories for a week. It may help you lose.

I've been diligently counting calories and trying to lose weight for almost 2 years now, and I've hit many "starvation mode" roadblocks. When you're serious about long-term weight loss, when you've been fighting your body's tendency to protect its fat stores, you will eventually realize how important it is to eat enough to make weight loss happen.

Fast weight loss, low calories, fad diets....people who approach weight loss this way tend to have a high failure weight. Actual fat loss (not water, muscle, and bone density) takes time. But every pound is worth it.
  • hidonia
    hidonia Posts: 1
    Options
    What if you do not have the hunger to eat and get full real quick when you try to eat. I can eat a box of chocolates and make my calorie intake but I would be putting all that sugar in me too. I am frustrated still hovering at 140 lbs or so.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    i dont understand why people choose to eat so little, yet exercise everyday. in my experience, not neccessary to go so low...

in syaing that, i also agree everyone is different for sure. i'm eating 2100-2400 per day NET. and i'm having no trouble loosing fat...and im not a big guy...in fact on BIG workout days, i even eat over 2500 NET. Actually having trouble keeping my wieght steady at the moment, :p

I think if i dropped to 1200 NET, i'd die, lol.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    remember guys, its Not all about calories in vs calories out...

its about the quality of calories...
  • SoFLYFireman
    SoFLYFireman Posts: 170 Member
    Options

well said
  • beautifulnow
    Options
    SOOO...Can I have high quality ice cream? :) cause I love ice cream...hmmm :love: ice cream....*slap*...whoa ok I'm better :)

well said
  • beautifulnow
    Options
    totally off the subjecto...but dude your like super pretty!!...just sayin :)
    ... will I go into "starvation mode" if I eat 1200 cals and then burn 400?

I think not, but then again I haven't lost any this week yet.

Rawr.

Whatchya think? Is every "body" different?

xoxo

Cate