itchy legs during cardio

Options
I am kind of embarassed to even admit this because I dont know how common it is but...
I find that whether I am in a brisk walk or running, my skin in "chunky" areas, like my thighs, will itch like crazy.
Does this happen to anyone else?
If so do you know why it occurs...?

Replies

• kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    The same thing happens to me!
    I don't know why it happens, but I'm guessing it has to do with the movement of skin (especially when you're going fast). I notice it more when I haven't shaved my legs. I think the sweat affects the hair on my legs juuuuuust enough that it itches.
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if it is the same thing - but I found that if I moisturize before I work out ( I carry a tube of moisturizer in my gym bag), it is better - I would get burning, itchy skin (especially on my lower back and thighs) and it seems it was just dry skin + sweat ... (thank you old man winter!)

hope that helps!
  • Dmonique85
    Dmonique85 Posts: 112
    Options
    I don't think it's a chunky girl thing. What material are you wearing? My boyfriend (who is a RAIL) complains about this a lot. I am wondering if it's the material of his sweats or maybe even fabric softener irritating his skin. Maybe just a need to moisturize...usually when my skin is itchy it's dry...
  • heathera1980
    Options
    Mine too! I've also noticed after a brisk walk that I get tiny twitches in my thighs too. So I'm twitchy and itchy after a good workout but it is a good twitch and itch! :laugh: Anyone have a reason as to why, I would also love to know!
  • nimil
    nimil Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i always thought that it was sweat and friction of movement against clothing. it makes you chafe! i always keep a little thing of gold bond powder handy and run to the bathroom to toss some on if i start to feel itchy like that.

here are some other remedies to combat it:
    http://www.home-remedies-for-you.com/remedy/Chafing.html
  • Vtrembacki
    Vtrembacki Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It happens to me too, and I do think it is beacuse of dry skin and sweat. when I put lotion on before though, then my legs get all slimy from sweat and lotion mixture.....
  • jamielee723
    Options
    Yeah I dont know if I should moisturize because of that slimy feeling from lotion and sweat but I do put lotion on my body every morning after the shower so hopefully its not from dry skin! The whole thing just takes my concentration off of my workout and makes it miserable. i also noticed the itching comes in waves too. its not necessarily constant. Im going to ask my doc on my next visit. Thank you all for the suggestions. Oh yeah I was wearing cotton. Maybe loose clothing would help? Idk
  • mikkimomof3
    mikkimomof3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    This happens to me too..my family used to tease me about it when I was a kid. I always thought it had to do with muscles being used that hadn't been worked out much before..I find that when I work out initally it is worse, but as I start working out more regularly, it goes away....