Visiting relatives & eating

Options
When I go and stay with relatives, Its hard to eat well b/c they dont ever eat healthy. Any suggestions as to how I can stay on track when I'm away from home? Would I offend them if I bring my own food??

Replies

• skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, it would offend them if you brought your own food.
    I'd just consider it a cheat day, but eat everything in moderation.
  • destoni85
    destoni85 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I would definitely focus on finding the heathy stuff... Like if they make fried chicken, pull the skin off and only eat the flesh...

As far as offending them... Maybe, depends on them, I guess.

Suggestion... When you go visit, offer to make them dinner... You can pick healthy foods to fit your diet and do something nice for them.
  • atessieri
    atessieri Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I would eat before I went or while I was out and then you have an excuse for not eating but if they still insist then just put a small amount on your plate so you wont be tempted to overeat, or just snack on low calorie snacks during the day so you have extra calories for their food and walk or find ways to work out and you wont feel so it will cancel eachother out. good luck :)
  • sam363
    sam363 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I always bring my own water bottle and will pack crystal light packets so that I'm not tempted with soda. I also offer to bring things like fruit, carrots, and healthy snack items. Just remember to load up on veggies and take smaller portions of the rest. Also if you are going to eat out check out the nutritional facts from your phone on the way there - that way you can make a great decision. It's ok to have a few fries just not a whole basket. Good luck!
  • jfer1977
    jfer1977 Posts: 139
    Options
    If your relatives are supportive of you it wouldn't offend them if you brought your own food. If it's just a day trip we make it our "free day". My sister-in-law takes a lot of her own food when visiting the in-laws and they don't mind.
  • misslucy12
    Options
    I tend to have this problem too. I suggest at the family get togethers bring some healthy things to share with everyone, and control your portion sizes. If it's not that kind of get together, they shouldn't be offended of you trying to take care of yourself. Do what you think is best, and what's right for you.
  • Evasher
    Evasher Posts: 20
    Options
    Bringing your own food is a good safety net. You might let relatives know ahead that you are planning to bring healthy choices for yourself. Also you can eat light with choices your host/hostess places on the table or suggest cutting up vegetables and fresh fruit. I have been in the same situation for a gazillion years but have learned to have open-face sandwiches or leave off the bread when I can. I drink as much water as possible and clear the table which keeps my hands busy. I try to walk more on vacation. Good luck! Think of how good you will feel if you stick to your plan. It is like going shopping when you prefer saving that money for a grand vacation. Life is about choices. I am not perfect and try for progress rather than perfection. Have fun!
  • lbares
    lbares Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I always bring my own food. I am keeping myself (and my family/kids) on track, and setting a good example. I don't preach about how others eat, but I am prepared to answer questions - always staying polite and sticking to the facts of why I eat the way I eat.

I also agree that eating what the host serves, in moderation, is a good tactic. However, over many days, old habits may creep in, so be careful!
  • verjavec
    verjavec Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    When we visit relatives it is for a week or more at a time. Bringing my own food is not an option. Neither is considering it a cheat day. Luckily I do have understanding relatives, so what we do is sit down and make a menu when we arrive. Then we go shopping together and when they allow it, I pay for some of the groceries. I also help make the meals. Some of the meals are old favorites that aren't great for the diet and on those days, we try to get in a good workout. This is something I'm still working on - we failed miserably at Christmas with all of the cookies out... but every time we get a little bit better.

If your relatives aren't cooperative or understanding, then just eat smaller portions and make sure to get in a good workout every day. Good luck!
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    i hate that, my bf is really understanding of how hard i'm trying to be healthier & lose this weight, so if his family is having junk to eat then i'll pick the better things to try to fill up on, like pulling the skin off my chicken & having extra veggies on my plate & avoiding desserts, but if i'm still hungry after- we'll run out to the drive through to get me a wendy's salad or the equivalent elsewhere & i'll eat before their meal something small (like packing a fiber one bar in my purse) that will curb my cravings or after so i don't ruin all my hard work. :o) good luck!
  • Hiner001
    Hiner001 Posts: 8
    Options
    Im sure they wouldnt mind if I brought a couple apples or bananas. All really good suggestions, ty. Of course, if they cook, it would be rude not to eat what they prepared :-) Ty!!
  • CMcBryer
    CMcBryer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Even if the food is "bad" for you, just use portion control and eat slowly. Log what you ate and make sure you're at your calorie goals. You can eat food that is relatively unhealthy for you and still maintain a caloric deficit. Granted, it's not as good as eating healthy food and maintaining a deficit, but it is a deficit nonetheless. Like other people have said as well, you can always bring an apple or something healthy for dessert.
  • Castonguay
    Options
    Eat an apple and drink a big glass of water before your unhealthy dinner. You'll eat a lot less and like that Colton kid said, don't deny yourself some "bad" food, just eat less of it.
    My biggest problem when around for family get-togethers is alcohol. Get your water and tea ready and just drink less than you normally would.