3 miles in 53 minutes? how disappointing :(

Options
well first off, sore from 90 weighted squats yesterday..........ran/walked today at the gym, and did 3 miles in 53 minutes.......training for my first 1/2 in June...........am I crazy???????

Replies

• CalorieNinja
    CalorieNinja Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Be proud of yourself that you did 3 miles!
  • ileana84
    ileana84 Posts: 163
    Options
    Dont be disappointed.... I for one have never done anything like that, and would prob take longer. Cheer up! You're doing awesome :)
  • arsonsmom
    arsonsmom Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    No girl you can do it when I did my first half marathon I was crazy I was like 12th from last but I was 330 pounds I trained for like a couple weeks and I just walked it...So if I can do it you can too good luck to you!!!! Your time will get better** BTW **
  • janruffin
    janruffin Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I agree. I couldn't run 3 miles without stopping... that was even after months of training.
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    Like you said - you're sore from the squats yesterday. You probably would have had a better time if you weren't. Hang in there - you need the strength training and you need the walk/run time. You'll get used to it and be more faster and have more endurance the more you do. :flowerforyou:
  • Jaca8409
    Jaca8409 Posts: 1
    Options
    3 miles in 53 minutes...that' fantastic!!!! Congrats...many people can't run 1 mile...stay positive :D
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Hey! You did 3 miles!!! Celebrate that!!!! Don't worry about speed.. finishing the distance is always more important for a beginner! Are you using a training guide? I am using Runner's World Smartcoach on my iPhone and it's great for setting up your target pace and distance for each run leading up to whatever race you are planning on.. up to 16 week programs! Just FYI, there are a ton of great resources out there for you!!!

Good luck!
  • goodstarbuck
    Options
    I don't know your training situation, but if this if your first 1/2 marathon and you're just starting your run/walks, 53 minutes isn't bad especially after 90 squats the day previous. Are you following a training regimen for the 1/2?

From my own experience, make sure you have a pair of shoes for your foot type and do proper warm ups before running and stretches before and after. And keep at it. It really does get easier.

p.s. You aren't crazy. I might be though, I signed up for a full marathon in just over two months. My first full, I did the half last year. :)
  • 1111renee
    1111renee Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am doing Hal Higdon's novice training............I didn't run one mile straight yet...........ran when I could......just feeling like I should have done better..........however.....2 days ago did 4.5 miles on the elliptical in 60 min......what a difference on the track trying to run!!
  • 1111renee
    Options
    have my asics I got in feb.....love em.......just feel beat up! :)
  • goodstarbuck
    Options
    Nikstergirl is absolutely right, speed is less important than enduring.
  • goodstarbuck
    Options
    Ha! I've been using the same training schedule from Hal Higdon. The guy gets around.
  • 1111renee
    Options
    run/ walk not pure running
  • JillyBean819
    JillyBean819 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    3 miles in 53 minutes is awesome in my opinion. Keep at it. Soon you'll be back here saying that you did 3 miles in 30 minutes.
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    good job . . . I am amazed at anyone who trains for anything that involves the word marathon!!!!!
    I am training for a 5K in May . . .and I feel like I am progressing at a snail's pace, but I am progressing. Each time out on the track is easier and easier. Keep it up and be proud of your progress as you continue.
  • 1111renee
    Options
    Isn't a 5K 3 miles? anyone know?
  • CalorieNinja
    CalorieNinja Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Isn't a 5K 3 miles? anyone know?

5k is 3.1 miles
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    well first off, sore from 90 weighted squats yesterday..........ran/walked today at the gym, and did 3 miles in 53 minutes.......training for my first 1/2 in June...........am I crazy???????

I'm on week 3 of the 9 week "Couch Potato to 5K" program (Google it, or check out the threads around here for the MFP folks who are doing it). The first week's workouts include intervals of 1 minute jogs and 1.5 minute walks -- if you jog at about 10 min/mile pace and walk at 20 min/mile pace, then you get in about 2 miles in a half hour. So, 3 miles in 53 minutes is very near that pace.

So, it sounds perfectly fine to me, especially if you're just starting into running!

(Of course, attempting a half marathon from the ground up, even though you're giving yourself 3-4 months to prepare? wow... good luck!)