Shin Splints?

3LittleMonkeys
3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
Is it possible to have shin splints in one leg and not the other? What about arch pain?

I increased my walking speed yesterday from 3 at 3.5 and I started to hurt. I actually had to go back down to 3 in order to finish.

Replies

• Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    yes it is...lots of things you can do most obviously is make sure you have the right shoes.. other than that stretch stretch stretch and this sounds funny but believe me it works. three times a day sit in a chair and hold your legs out straight. Draw the alphabet with your toes in the air. It really does help...
  • Happy_JoJo
    Happy_JoJo Posts: 49 Member
    Shin splints are the worst!!! I used to get them all the time on my treadmill, especially when I increased the speed/ incline. I must say 100% make sure you have good sneakers with a proper fit, that has made all the difference for me. I have sometimes noticed that one shin was more sore than the other too for what it's worth.
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    I have brand new Asics Gel Running Shoes.

Stretching, is something I didn't do. :embarassed:
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    one can be more sore for sure. . . perhaps you are stressing that side more when you are working out. . . . like the others said, stretch and good shoes!
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    Should I lay off the treadmill till it doesn't hurt? Or can I go back at a slower speed?
  • douglw
    douglw Posts: 25
    it is possible to have shin pain in only one leg. One possible cause is that one leg is shorter than the other. This puts more load on one leg than the other. One solution is custom arch supports for your shoes. They will measure your legs and increase the thickness to put you back in balance. This will also help your arch pain. One other thing you can do is get good shoes. Go to a shoe store that specializes in runners and get fitted. I'm not talking about a big chain sporting goods store like ****s. Find a place that deals specifically to runners. They will watch you walk and pick out the right shoes for you. You should get new shoes every 500 miles even if they don't show wear on the bottom. The padding breaks down before the treads do.
This discussion has been closed.