HRM eating me alive...

Options
:blushing: Soooo...the skin around where my Polar HRM strap lays is getting eaten alive. I have open sores from it. It's not the sensors themselves, (yes I wet them down with running water) it's something about the strap material itself...anyway, I plan to keep using it M-F for inside training (marathon), but I'm looking for ideas about what to treat the sores with??? What's funny is my Garmin HRM strap doesn't do this, just my Polar...but my Garmin can only be used outside because it uses GPS yada yada yada :wink:

Replies

• MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    okay this is going to sound strange but try Bag Balm. http://www.bagbalm.com/
  • GoGetFitGirl
    Options
    Maybe you are allergic to latex. I have to make sure anything like that doesn't have latex in it before it touches my skin or I will have the same sort of reaction you described. It was especially a red flag when you said that you don't have this reaction with your other band. You can call the company to see if it has latex in it if the information is not readily available on their website. Good luck! Lynn
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    if you're doing repetitive exercises, I would say you can use them each time instead of having to wear it every single time.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    body glide is your friend !
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    would Vaseline work as a barrier, or would it just slip around?
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    okay this is going to sound strange but try Bag Balm. http://www.bagbalm.com/
    i just broke in my softball glove with bagbalm oh and i put it on my tattoos too heh i love that stuff
  • shelli1982
    shelli1982 Posts: 133
    Options
    If it's more of a rash-thing (i.e. itchy) try hydrocortisone? it would help if it's an allergic reaction. But you're probably going to have to cover the sores when you wear the strap to let them heal, maybe with some sterile cotton...

I used to always recommend neosporin for open sores, but my Dermatologist now says that unless it's definitely infected, just covering with Vaseline will help it heal quicker with a lesser change of an allergic reaction to the Neosporin.. so.. give that a try with a latex-free bandage covering it, just in case... hope that helps!
  • JillyBean819
    JillyBean819 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Not sure how long you've had it but have you washed the strap yet? Maybe you need to clean it good with soap to remove bacteria and such. Try using Gold Bond Medicated powder after you shower to keep that sore area dry. I hope you get better!
  • jenX1174
    jenX1174 Posts: 154
    Options
    You could try sewing some cloth together to make a tube around the strap, but leave the section open where the lead is.

Just a thought. :wink:
  • eed_bookworm
    Options
    I like my ECG accurate HRM watch. No band to cause any problems! Once you start the chrono, it starts recording your heart rate. You can check your rate by placing the index and middle finger on the pads on the face of the watch. Get better soon!
  • misssuperstitious
    Options
    Not sure how long you've had it but have you washed the strap yet? Maybe you need to clean it good with soap to remove bacteria and such. Try using Gold Bond Medicated powder after you shower to keep that sore area dry. I hope you get better!
    Thanks Jilly, I've only had it 5 days, I got sores starting day one, I've adjusted the postition several times and get new sores each time. It's quite a puzzle!

I'm loving all the great suggestions! I've got Bodyglide and hydrocortisone right on hand so I'll give them a shot tomorrow and try any other ideas you've got! I sure hope it's not an allergy, but it sure sounds like it might be :grumble: