For all the students out there...

Options
How do you fit working out into your schedule? I am still doing homework and my last class ends at 3! Its hard to work out at 10:00 pm!

Replies

• humblemonkey
    humblemonkey Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    i bring my note cards to the gym and when im WALKING on the treadmill, I go through them (or notes/book/whatever)...then tke a break, run, walk again and go through more notes...etc etc. then I do 15-30 minutes of weights...come home, and do hw/study
  • swiss31
    swiss31 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    My school's gym is open very late for that reason, and is free to all students. Most night classes at my school end at 10pm.
  • Shawnarose
    Shawnarose Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Well you make up your mind to do your thing at a certain time - you block that time for YOU and you alone!
    I like first thing in the morning to work out - I am up at 5am to get it in - work full time and am going to school at night...have a family
    and other commitments. You can do it too!
  • strivingfor130
    strivingfor130 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    It can be tough to workout when you feel you have so many other obligations to fulfill first with school. Maybe you can try working out in the morning before beginning your day? Another option is to take a break in between assignments or something and do some crunches, pushups, a few jumping jacks or something like that to at least get in some exercise. You can also always exercise right after class and before starting your homework since it is only going to take 30 minutes or so.
  • JuneGem6471
    JuneGem6471 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    The last 2 terms I signed up for a pe class, 1 credit, and worked it in to my schedule. I just moved and the school here is a lot different. This one has the gym I'm joining inside though so I can schedule around classes.
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    workout dvd's :o) Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred is only a little over 20 minutes a day & amazing!
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I'm not currently in school but when I was and I worked out I'd bring my notes with me and read them on the elliptical/bike. It might sound crazy, but see if on itunesU (it's free in the itunes store) they have any podcasts to help you study for your classes. I'd listen to the podcasts while I ran.
  • krissy_pooo
    krissy_pooo Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I just workout and get behind in my readings/school work... lol. not funny, I know
  • ksimms
    ksimms Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If I have 2 hours, I scoot to the gym for that time, so what if I only have time for 45 mins of cardio after making my way there and changing and junk, that's 45 more mins then I was going to do if I said I was going to do it later at night. If I have to leave at 830 I'll get up early and put some time in before school if I don't have a break.

You have to work for the things you want in life, you are your only obstacle.
  • leafsan
    leafsan Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Last semester was my last semester of actual classes. I started just going on the weekends (first thing in the morning works great for me) and taking my textbook for the cardio machines or notecards with me. I was very quickly finding excuses to squeeze in an extra hour later in the day during the week because it made me feel awesome!
    Now I'm doing my internship, Weekends I still go in the morning, but during the week I go after I get home. Not as much homework, but you'll find you can make the time somewhere if the gym is open late. Good luck!
  • Tvstarbabe
    Tvstarbabe Posts: 101
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas everyone!
  • hannahbanana441
    Options
    I wake up at 5am to do a workout. At first it was very hard, but now it's just a normal routine for me and my body is use to it.
    Also, whenever I have homework that I can do while cycling, like reading, I do that! Just make sure that you aren't just leisurely doing it- actually get your heart rate up even while you're reading!
  • Ally_Clare
    Ally_Clare Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I usually come home and go straight back out for a run. I find that i concentrate more on my hw when i've done my exercise.
  • erican09
    erican09 Posts: 4
    Options
    I also get up early and go the gym before class. I get up at 4:30, am at planet fitness by 5:15, out by 6:15. Then I also have time to make a good breakfast and sit and enjoy my coffee before class. Feels great :)
  • purpleprose
    purpleprose Posts: 650
    Options
    I get up early and go before class - even sometimes before my 8AM class if I know I can't fit in a workout at any other point during the day. If I'm planning to go after or in-between classes, I always bring my gym bag with me during the day...it motivates me to actually get up and go if I KNOW that my bags are in the car and I have no excuse.

A gym buddy has also worked wonders for me - she picks me up in the morning so we both have accountability to be ready and awake on time.