Sugar?... how to keep it low?

Options
cem2168
cem2168 Posts: 205 Member
So I have been reviewing my diet and I really seem to have a lot of sugar! However, I do not eat processed foods, table sugar, sweets, etc... It seems to be coming all from fruit! Does anyone have any ideas how to keep my sugar under my limit? I feel like it is really halting my weightloss

Replies

• dracobaby82
    dracobaby82 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue only that a lot of my sugar intake comes from my coffee in the mornings :( It has to be sweet or I won't drink it... I need to stop lol Can't wait to see all the replies!
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt worry to much about the sugar, I eat 2-3 servings of fruit a day and its fine :]

The limit is more for added sugars, so it sounds like you are doing quite well!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: If your sugar comes from fruit then change your goal

:flowerforyou: If your sugar is added table sugar or foods made from sugar then stop eating all that stuff and eat something that will nourish your body.
  • lavenda319
    Options
    Look at the positive side - Fruit is good sugar!

I was just reading the other day that certain fruits are very high in sugar.... banana's, watermelon, pineapple to name a few. Perhaps it would be wise to pay close attention to which fruits you are eating and make a conscience effort to eat fruits containing less sugar?
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should worry about sugar from fruit because there is a lot of fiber in fruit which will keep your blood sugar levels from spiking. If they spike (like when you eat refined sugar) then you will crash and have more cravings.
  • HealthyHereICome
    Options
    Try one pack of Splenda for your coffee dracobaby- it's really sweet!
  • charmingopal
    charmingopal Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    plums are pretty low in sugar ... and i like them :wink:
  • MoonlightMerlot
    MoonlightMerlot Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same trouble! I seem to always go over on my sugar, even on days when it's mostly coming from fruit and veggies. I'm trying to be content with the fact that at least they're naturally occurring and packaged up nicely with vitamins and fibre and other good things.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Sugar from fruit is not something to worry about. I do know if you want to reduce the amount of sugar in a banana though ( I eat a lot of them) you shoudl eat them closer to green. The sugar content increases as a banana ripens from what I have been reading. As long as you are reaching your goals and getting your sugar from natural sources you should be fine.
  • alexus052799
    Options
    I started South Beach at my doctors reccomendation and after one week lost 7 lbs. Yes, the first few pounds are typically the quickest, but this is great success for me. Remember that carbs turn to sugar too..I have been feeling great and notice the difference. I am only Phase I and Phase II I'll start to re-introduce some carbs and sugar. So in the end, I would watch your carbs too. Good luck!
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue only that a lot of my sugar intake comes from my coffee in the mornings :( It has to be sweet or I won't drink it... I need to stop lol Can't wait to see all the replies!

If you don't mind Splenda you can get liquid Splenda from www.sweetzfree.com. I have been using it for a few years now and love it. No calories because there are no fillers like the packets. Just Splenda and purified water.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    2-3 pieces of fruit a day is healthy, but if you are eating much more than that (or fruit juice), you might want to reconsider because it is high GI and won't keep you full as long as other snacks. You could also think about the amount of sugar and fibre in the fruit you are choosing: apples have less sugar and more fibre than, say, bananas.
  • Shannon7713
    Shannon7713 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Have you ever heard of *the belly fat cure* ? Its a book/program.... Sounds like another *fad* diet.... but the man who made this up, Jorge Cruise, teaches you how to keep your sugar UNDER 15 GRAMS a day..... I tried this diet for awhile, and did lose alot of wgt, but it really messed with my sugar levels.... anywaaays, my point is.... look into his books or even online.... you can maybe incorporate his tips on keeping sugar low into your own diet? I know when I was on this about a yr ago, I couldnt eat fruit!! Bananas are REALLY high in sugar..... Blackberry and blueberries have low sugar tho if you need that fruit fix.......
    Also look into buying Sugar-Free foods (syrup, dressings, snacks, etc)..... Pay attention to lables, when something says "Low-fat" or "reduced-fat" - they usually make up for taste with sugar :(
    Hope this helps... Good luck!!!!

Oh, and one of my FAV snacks are VitaTops: Sugar-Free Velvety Chocolate VitaTops
    90 calories, 2g of fat, 9g of FIBER! and they taste really good too!! :)

*wow I sound like an infomercial l* LOL
  • kategardella
    Options
    I just had the same issue and had to cut some things out of my diet! It's been a week and I've already lost a pound... sugar was what was keeping me at my plateau and I feel much better with less of it. I used to have a yogurt and granola every morning and fruit as a snack - I was WAY over. I keep it to 25g a day now, and when I usually end up consuming it is in my coffee, protein bars, and dairy... I swear by Pirate's Booty for a snack, peanut butter is pretty low in sugar and *hint hint* chocolate is not nearly as bad as you might think. Good luck!
  • fitnezrox
    fitnezrox Posts: 41
    Options
    Yes, natural sugars are better than processed sugars. That being said, sugar is sugar, it will still store as fat in the body if not utilized as energy, and if you have too much of it in your system (too much is a toxin to the body and the body can only utilize very little) you are not then burning fat but burning just the sugars that are in your system.

Try maybe choosing lower sugar fruits (like berries) and low sugar vegetables(greens and non starchy), and really look at the serving sizes and how many servings per day you are consuming. Most everything has some sugar in it, make sure you are reading all your food labels, unless everything you are eating is raw real food. I know it is difficult to track all this stuff (and seeing the red numbers), but eventually making good healthy choices will become second nature to you and automatic. The red numbers are a signal to you that you might just need to make a few changes in your eating habits, in order to drop the weight, maintain weight, or just get healthier.
    I hope this helps better understand the importance of low sugar nutrition, I personally try and keep mine below 20 grams a day, and for the most part am very successful at it. Just like everyone I do have my off days where life gets in the way and I go over, lol.

Have a healthy and happy night
    Kim
  • fitnezrox
    fitnezrox Posts: 41
    Options
    Have you ever heard of *the belly fat cure* ? Its a book/program.... Sounds like another *fad* diet.... but the man who made this up, Jorge Cruise, teaches you how to keep your sugar UNDER 15 GRAMS a day..... I tried this diet for awhile, and did lose alot of wgt, but it really messed with my sugar levels.... anywaaays, my point is.... look into his books or even online.... you can maybe incorporate his tips on keeping sugar low into your own diet? I know when I was on this about a yr ago, I couldnt eat fruit!! Bananas are REALLY high in sugar..... Blackberry and blueberries have low sugar tho if you need that fruit fix.......
    Also look into buying Sugar-Free foods (syrup, dressings, snacks, etc)..... Pay attention to lables, when something says "Low-fat" or "reduced-fat" - they usually make up for taste with sugar :(
    Hope this helps... Good luck!!!!

Oh, and one of my FAV snacks are VitaTops: Sugar-Free Velvety Chocolate VitaTops
    90 calories, 2g of fat, 9g of FIBER! and they taste really good too!! :)

*wow I sound like an infomercial l* LOL

I love this book, and his methods really work. Can be difficult to follow for some though since it is such low sugar. lol
  • Anidorie
    Anidorie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    you are suppose to have 2-3 servings of fruit a day If you go over on your sugars but its just because you had fruit then its okay.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    you could drop the fruit you know...
    you dont "need" per se.

I never eat it (apart from on cheat days - even then its rare).

Just eat more fibrous vege's in its place. They are better anyway.
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I go over everyday because of my milk and fruit. 12 grams of sugar in each cup of skim milk, 14 grams in my banana, and 15 grams in my grapes! so i go over every day, but it isn't added sugar.