MAJOR carb cravings!! What is a girl to do?

Options
10 days into a ketogenic diet and my body, mind and soul are begging me to find the nearest bowl of ice cream, chocolate bar or rice krispie treat. I did not cave. Nearly in tears, I battled the urge to devour. It wasn't easy. What does everyone else do when one of the big ones hit?

Replies

• wecmom
    wecmom Posts: 11
    Options
    Indulge a little - you can't go completely without all the time or you will binge. When I'm craving chocolate, my hubby will buy a full candy bar, I'll take a bite, satisfies the craving and I don't eat the whole thing. Try a single serve something to meet the craving but not enough that you can hate yourself later.

Good luck!
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Idrink some hot tea, or a packet of diet hot chocolate haha
    also I find taking a cinamon supplement helps :]
  • halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    maybe eat a little spoonfull of peanut butter? that curbs my sweet tooth.
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Hey, if you are in a major carb fix.... get one of those single serving bags of popcorn, they are only 35 calories and low carb. Hope that helps. Also, you can find low carb ice cream in the grocery store. Might be a little on the pricey side, depending on the brand and the store, but it's just as tasty as regular ice cream but healthier.
  • Nataliethin81
    Options
    maybe eat a little spoonfull of peanut butter? that curbs my sweet tooth.

I agree! Peanut butter always does the trick for me!
  • fitoverfifty
    fitoverfifty Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I don't like the sound of that diet at all.............I hope you're only on it for a short period of time and that you will start eating HEALTHY carbs soon..
  • Kristen81
    Kristen81 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Atkins also sells really delicious chocolate bars. They are sort of expensive, but that's what I eat for me sweets/chocolate cravings.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'd just give in. Everytime I try to cover up and replace a craving with something else I always ended up binging. So just do yourself a favor and eat a carb. Plus if you are exercising, hmmm you need to be eatin carbs!
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'd just give in. Everytime I try to cover up and replace a craving with something else I always ended up binging. So just do yourself a favor and eat a carb. Plus if you are exercising, hmmm you need to be eatin carbs!
    \

agree!! I find that I binge If i dont eat what my body is saying i should!
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters, I'd give in a little whether it's low-fat cocoa or a single serving candy or a skinny cow ice cream. If you're under a doctor's care and he's prescribed this diet, than I would talk to him about your cravings, etc...
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I love cinnamon, I try to have a little bit everyday.
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with this also - help! These are great ideas. I do know that for me giving in often intensifies a craving. If I can get back on track, I've had success cleaning the junk out of my system. I don't want a DQ cone if I haven't had one in a month. If I had one yesterday, then today I find myself wanting one today too. A fresh apple on the seat next to me when I travel helps... Will be checking back for other great ideas.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I had major carb cravings today too - and I put cinnamon on my oatmeal every morning. I will try to put more on and maybe add it to yogurt or something else later in the day.

After work today I went on a small binge but thankfully nothing too awful - I ate some pumpkin nut clusters and the last 2 squares in my dark chocolate bar. And celery LOL. I was sooo full after dinner - thankfully still full since I am at work for another 2 hours. Sipping green tea now to keep myself full so nothing else tempts me.
  • bdgstone1
    bdgstone1 Posts: 18
    Options
    All of the above/below are right...

I'll tell you as someone how has/had a "fat tooth" that before anything was ever successful for me I had to make a point of retro fitting my diet. I had to get my portions in order and my appetite readjusted and the foods I was eating as my new meal program before any exercise regiment worked.

The good news is that that only took a few months. I did, as is suggested below, indulge now and a gain but I made a point of making a change in how much and how often and then what kind of food (or indulgence) I was partaking of.

...I think I got it in my head that this wasn't a diet but a life style change....once I was there it got easier.

...and like nmlruse says...ga head...eat a carb...its not going ot kill you and if your exercising and burning MORE than you;re consuming...you should be good. Don't worry TOO too much...although you shouldn't LIVE on ice cream and chocolate (or for me rid eye steak) nothing says you have to STOP eating those foods forever.

Its not about suffering ...its about being happy-ER.

CHEAT NOTE: I like sushi in all its forms and chips and salsa and guacamole with my Tecates...so I make sure to try and burn at least 1000 extra calories a day than what my daily requires from me. Then I;m always in the clear ...and its only an extra 30 or so minutes ...any way...thats what I do...

Good luck...
  • Anidorie
    Anidorie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    no sugar added icecream! it is 90 calories for half a cup. that is better then yogurt. and it is low in carbs and tasts wonderful! i like it bettter then sugary icecream
  • CougNurse2011
    Options
    I get the "peanut butter crisp" eating right bar for 100 cals. its Safeway's brand they are by the cliff bars and protein bars and stuff. They are only .75cents too!! But that always does the trick for me!
  • CougNurse2011
    Options
    And if your looking for a NON food way to get through the craving.. I either paint my nails, take a shower (that ALWAYS works for me), go in your closet and go through your old clothes you dont wear, sometimes I go curl my hair cuz it takes so long.... Just some weird things that work for me!
  • itzamos
    itzamos Posts: 24
    Options
    I like Stretch Island fruit leather strips. I get a big box of them at Costco. They're healthy, 45 calories, and are pretty satisfying to nibble on.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    May I ask why you're on such a diet? There are ways to burn fat and still feel good and energized. It doesn't have to self torture. If your mind and soul are crying, you might want to reevaluate why you're doing things this way.