1g-1.5g protein per pound of lean body mass?

Options
NOLAdy
NOLAdy Posts: 133 Member
I bought the weight lifting bible for women book. The part on protein intake says that a person on a weight lifting diet should be eating 1g-1.5g of protein per every pound of lean body mass that they have. So if my lean body mass is 116, than I should be eating 116g of protein a day? I suppose that's why everyone drinks the shakes.
Do those numbers sound right to those of you on a weight lifting diet? If so I need to up my numbers on MFP.

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    yes for very serious weight lifters, 1 gram per lb is acceptable. But for most of us, that's far more than needed. Most people only need about 20 to 25% protein if they are in catabolism (calorie deficit) and maybe up to about 30% for maintenance with a very heavy exercise schedule.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    They might be right, but while you are eating a ton of protein you may want to take a fiber supplement. I was eating like 135 grams a day for a while and ended up with really bad tummy problems. Too much protein can cause constipation.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I do 30%, which usually gets way up in to the 200's. But my calories are super high and I'm lifting, and gaining.
  • amydcarlson
    amydcarlson Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If you are doing serious body building, then yes. If you are just going for some definition, you don't need that much. (My BF used to be a Body Builder)
  • blittle40
    blittle40 Posts: 31
    Options
    your body only needs about 30-35 grams of protein a day...any more than that will only get wasted and flushed away...
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Most people only need about 20 to 25% protein if they are in catabolism (calorie deficit) and maybe up to about 30% for maintenance with a very heavy exercise schedule.

I thought catabolism was weight loss due to breaking down muscle mass (i.e., unhealthy weight loss), and not just calorie deficit...?
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I've set my ratios to 40/40/20. I usually get between 150 to 200 grams per day, depending on workouts.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    your body only needs about 30-35 grams of protein a day...any more than that will only get wasted and flushed away...

this is not necessarily true. I require far more than 30 grams, many people do. How much protein you need is in direct correlation to what your current situation and goals are. 30 grams for me (for instance) would be about 16 %, which is far lower than what I require to retain my existing muscle mass with moderate weight training.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Most people only need about 20 to 25% protein if they are in catabolism (calorie deficit) and maybe up to about 30% for maintenance with a very heavy exercise schedule.

I thought catabolism was weight loss due to breaking down muscle mass (i.e., unhealthy weight loss), and not just calorie deficit...?

nope, catabolism is simply one of the two states the metabolism can be in, the other being anabolism . Catabolism CAN correlate to unhealthy weight loss but it's not defined by it. Please note, if you're at a calorie deficit you ARE burning some amount of muscle, but that doesn't make it unhealthy, if you keep the deficit moderate, the body will keep homeostatic and not kick the hormones that trigger extra amino acid break down into overdrive. And while you really can't build new muscle in a catabolic state, your body will repair existing muscle mass, which requires extra protein, and also helps to keep that muscle from being broken down for energy.
  • amydcarlson
    amydcarlson Posts: 136 Member
    Options

I think you are actually referring to "ketosis". That is the muscle breakdown, and is hard on the kidneys and liver.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

I think you are actually referring to "ketosis". That is the muscle breakdown, and is hard on the kidneys and liver.

that's close. Ketosis is the state where the body doesn't have enough carbohydrates incoming and reverts to a ketone system rather than a glycogen system. It's usually only happening in a catabolic state, but that's not required (as far as I know). Ketosis is defined by very low carb intake (usually under 15% of dietary macronutrients coming from carbs.)
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options

it depends on the person. I feel that 0.8-1.2 g/kg of body weight is a better range to be in.
  • prot11
    prot11 Posts: 15
    Options

it depends on the person. I feel that 0.8-1.2 g/kg of body weight is a better range to be in.

This issue seems to be a controversial one, but to the best of my understanding this is indeed the best range. Note that that's per kg not per lb.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

This issue seems to be a controversial one, but to the best of my understanding this is indeed the best range. Note that that's per kg not per lb.

again, there's been a lot of research done on this, none of it is conclusive. Most studies agree that for active adults that ratio above (.8 grams per kilo) is about the minimum you should have, not the average, I've seen plenty of others that recommended 1.5 grams per kilo.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options

huh??? :noway: do u mean per meal?
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    the way I was taught was 1-1.5 G / KG. for you that is only 53.63 or 80.45. Far more reasonable amount to get in.