What you eat vs how much

Options
Do you think WHAT you eat makes a difference, or just HOW MUCH? I am still transitioning from the way I ate before and the way I eat now. I have added light yogurt, whole grains, fruit, etc. But the past 2 nights have been hectic and we have eaten fast food. Both nights I got a chicken sandwich (no mayo) and small fries. I am still within my calorie limit, with about 50 leftover each day.

Do you find when you eat 100 calories of fruit versus 100 calories of chips, it makes a difference?

Replies

• jenninsocal
    Options
    Do you think WHAT you eat makes a difference, or just HOW MUCH? I am still transitioning from the way I ate before and the way I eat now. I have added light yogurt, whole grains, fruit, etc. But the past 2 nights have been hectic and we have eaten fast food. Both nights I got a chicken sandwich (no mayo) and small fries. I am still within my calorie limit, with about 50 leftover each day.

Do you find when you eat 100 calories of fruit versus 100 calories of chips, it makes a difference?
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    with regards to weight loss? The answer is how much. you could eat nothing but broccoli and you'd still gain weight if your caloric intake was higher than your output. Now health is another issue. Its really important to have a proper balance of nutrients and food groups in your diet.
  • coolnaunny
    Options
    I eat 3 meals a day . I try not to eat between meals. When I eat fruit or veggies I don't feel as weighted down as I do when I eat junk.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I think weight loss wise 1200 cals is 1200 cals. For health purposes all calories are not created equal.

What it came down to over time for me at least was I like to be full. So I had a choice of a peice of fried chicken breast for say 600 cal of my day, or 4 oz chic breast, small baked potato, ear of corn and a roll with butter for the same calories.

So I think it is OK to eat the chix sandwhich *can you do apples instead of fries? if not, dont fret too much about it. It will come to you, give it time.

Your doing great :drinker:
  • lauraj828
    Options
    the only thing that matters when you're trying to lose weight is the number of calories that you intake. however, i think we all know from experience that when those calories come from healthy food, you feel so much better inside and out! eating the right calorie amounts of healthy foods will help you lose weight, make you feel full, nourish your body, and even boost your immune system.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    I'm encouraged to read all these replies. Our budget is so tight, the food we can afford is mostly "filling" foods, carb heavy, packaged, processed-- ugh. I usually opt for a bowl of cereal rather than what I serve the family. But, on the occasions where I have to eat the crap, it's comforting that a calorie is a calorie is a calorie.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

I think the quantity AND the quality of food we eat are both EXTREMELY important to a lifelong journey but then that's my opionion on how my body works. :drinker:

I think when you're in transition what you're doing sounds like a good plan, you're making a conscience effort to add in healthier foods and if the nights are crunch time sounds like you're making wiser decisions.

Best to you:drinker:
  • gmpearse
    Options
    Hey there,

The challenge is just changing how much you eat. The fact that you are even thinking about the types of calories and how healthy a food choice is tells me you will find success. Keep up the good work.
  • mtpage04
    mtpage04 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    All calories are not created equal, unfortunately. For example calories from carbohydrates are used first, usually. Then the calories from protein are used for rebuilding, usually. Finally, the ugly truth, the 9 calories from a gram of fat just gets stored away for a rainy day. Try to limit your intake of saturated fat calories in exchange for monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats because they are the good for you fats. Good Luck!!

92705.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • jenninsocal
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!

I definitely agree that I feel better both mentally and physically when I eat healthy. And I havent even been here a week but have made so many good changes.
  • Mely
    Mely Posts: 166 Member
    Options

There is a big difference. The fruit will give you much more quantity of food then the chips. How many chips can you have for 100 calories? Probably not too many but you can have 275 grams of honeydew melon for 100 calories. That is a lot more food and it will therefore fill you up much more. If you are going to eat fast food, you have to eat much less of it then you do of healthy food.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 meals a day . I try not to eat between meals. When I eat fruit or veggies I don't feel as weighted down as I do when I eat junk.

What works best for me I've found is 5-6 mini meals a day. This helps keep my metabolism keep boosted all day, my moods leveled out, my energy level MUCH higher through out the entire day...oh so many other wonderful changes since I began eating this way. I'm never hungry or craving like I used to, for me it just plain works better for workout purposes as I always do protein/carb before my workouts and after them to refuel!

I think we all find what works best for our bodies along the way...there is much out there now on how eating smaller meals through out the day is a healthier choice for most people. I'm D2 so I definitely can tell a HUGE difference in my glucose leveling out.....but even if a person isn't D1o r D2 our bodies all use glucose for energy...and it's not a pretty site if we peak and drop all day...

My thoughts on the matter:flowerforyou: