working out

Options
is it possible to work out too much? burned like 1500 cal. today, ate about the same amount. Can this be a bad thing?

Replies

• PonyTailedLoser
    PonyTailedLoser Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I was wondering that myself...
  • Tamiash
    Tamiash Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Are you guessing you burned that much or did you have a heart monitor on? I imagine your working out and your daily just up moving around you could burn that much, but doing that much in a workout session, well that seems like that's alot......
  • jimincanberra
    jimincanberra Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That's the goal for weight loss - to create a calorific defecit i.e. daily input is less than daily output.
  • dark21
    dark21 Posts: 18
    Options
    Well they say if you exercise for to long it can make your body do the opposite of what you want but they also say your supposed to move around 5min out of every hour.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's entirely possible to overtrain. You have to let your body regenerate or you can run into overuse injuries and be unable to work out. If you are doing 1500 calories through exercise a day, that seems excessive. What do you average per day?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,248 Member
    Options
    Yes you can work out too much, but it really depends on how fit you are, how long you worked out, and how often you work out over time. For resistance training it is very easy to over train which will stop muscle from growing. It is harder to over train with cardio, but it is still possible because you are working your muscles because exercise causes small amounts of damage to the muscles which when your body repairs it during recovery time makes them stronger. If you don't allow that recovery time, your muscles will be over trained. One workout won't do this, following it by another very strenuous workout without some recovery time, could lead to over training.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    if that is was you ate, and also what you burned through exercise....you are horribly under your calorie goal.
    avg daily burn is what...say 75ish cal's per hour * 24 = 1800 cals per day for maintaining weight, then you burnt 1500 on top. thats 3300 cals.

you'd need to eat that much to maintain your weight....come down say 400-500 to lose it. thats 2800. so IMO you would 1300 short mate.

*figures above guess's!!!! but i think i got my point accross :p
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I think it depends how conditioned you are to exercise. If you bust your gut straight up without working up to it, you could do yourself some damage. Having said that, I ride 1 hr at a fast clip several times a week and for 2 hrs on Saturday, MFP calculates that expends 1000 an hour, and I don't think that that sort of exercise is excessive, and I walk and go to the gym as well.

Whether you are eating enough for that sort of exercise, you should refer to all the threads about eating your exercise calories.

Julie