Eating Late at Night?

Options
So, I find that I work out mostly at night because of my schedule. I end up burning on average around 800-1000 cals at the gym through cardio... However, I have heard that eating late at night is really bad for you, but I feel like I should at least eat a little snack of protein or SOMETHING after I work out... Is eating at night really a bad idea?

Replies

• EZGruv
    EZGruv Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    When you eat doesn't matter! Not eating at night is a myth.
    You HAVE to eat after working out, or you won't properly recover.
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options

exactly! When you eat doesnt matter, it's just what you eat.
  • cem2168
    cem2168 Posts: 205 Member
    Options

what do you suggest I eat post-work out?
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    also if you know you are working out at night and will have the calories, build them into your daily calorie schedule...enter the exercise as an estimate and plan your meals around what you believe you will have....i would go a bit under in case you dont get as a great a burn as anticipated....that is what i have been doing and it has worked out better...well not today lol cause i just burned another 505 on the treadmill and i didnt eat enough early to balance that out...was only thinking i'd do 350-400...off for an apple and some peanut butter.....
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    If you burned 800 cals before bed, you can afford to eat something.
  • ladycallie
    Options
    I would personally eat a protein smoothie. With Matcha powder, Spirutein, and Soymilk. But that is just me. :) Nuts are really good after-workout snacks too.
  • dwinny
    dwinny Posts: 10
    Options
    Most definitely it doesn't count! My ABs Diet book says timing isn't the monster, it's what you eat...not when. Congrats on working out hard too! The body needs that fuel, plus I'm sure it burns it overnight since it's still working!!
  • soonpass
    soonpass Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    If its late and close to your bed time I would stick to protein shake/bar or even a piece of chicken breast, lean lunch meat. If you have 3 or more hours before bed then add a healthy carb.
  • erin6026
    erin6026 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    That's tricky. If you're burning that many calories, then I wouldn't worry about having some chicken and veggies, etc. so you're eating enough calories.

On the other hand, I notice my progress slows (or halts!) when I am eating more of my calories right before I go to bed. I don't know why, the "facts" probably don't support this, but it's what happens with me.

I like the advice an earlier poster gave, of eating more calories before your workout if you know you're going to work them off.