Healthy/Wholegrain/Organic Food Available Walmart

MrsChasteen
MrsChasteen Posts: 48 Member
edited September 24 in Food and Nutrition
Hello, I live in a very small town with only two grocery stores, Walmart and Brookshires. We have no local shops or health stores. I have never even stepped foot in a "Whole Foods" or "World Market." Specialty stores such as these are an hour away. Could you guys please help me find some healthy, wholeweat, OR organic foods at Walmart? I usually buy fresh and frozen fruit and vegetables and whole grain breads. I usually buy my lunchmeat from the deli....I am always looking for new ideas....please help!

Replies

• prot11
    prot11 Posts: 15
    I don't know specifically about organic, but I think that any store of this size has enough selection of better foods (as opposed to junk). Better would be in a way less processed. In addition to whole grain breads, fruits and veggies you mentioned. I'm sure they sell basics like brown rice, whole grain pasta, all sorts of beans, skimmed milk and yogurts.
  • Hsanders3961
    Hsanders3961 Posts: 245 Member
    bump...'cause I want to see the responses too! LOL I have never even seen a Whole Foods....dont even know where one is!
  • Hi Elizabeth,

I find that our local WalMart will have a few healthy, organic things but they are very hard to find. I, too, live in a small town and the nearest Whole Foods is 3 hours away. Luckily, I have a few more options in my town. I would recommend making your hour trip every couple of weeks, stock up and freeze it to make it last longer. An hour isn't too bad. Then you can just use WalMart as your back up for the quick fixes.
    I have found eating organic and as fresh as possible has made a ton of difference for me and I try to never compromise unless there aren't any other options. If you have access to a Costco in your "hour away shopping", they started carrying lots of organic, whole grain items as well.

Johanna
  • aneajo
    aneajo Posts: 287 Member
    I have 2 Walmarts that I go to and they are totally different. One has organic section (very small), but it is marked Gluten free, so look for that.
    The other store has them thru out the store but not alot. Actully every time I go it, I find more. I think they are expanding. I wish they would put it all in one place like other stores do, but you will just have to search.

My husband went in one day and walked all the aisles. So now he knows where all the stuff he buys for work is, doesn't help me when I do the shopping for home with 3 kids following me. But when I go to an area of stuff I want, I look thru them for the organic.

On a side note, I have looking at different stuff and you can find alot of stuff that says NATURAL and its just as good as organic. Alot of "Organics" have more calories. Just watch the ingrediatns. In our house if you can't say the words, then you don't want to eat it.

Good luck
  • aneajo
    Oh and I visited a Whole Foods one time and it wasn't all that.
  • darling_nickie
    darling_nickie Posts: 117 Member
    Unfortunately WalMart is not the ideal place to find organic...they do have some--SOME--organic produce, mostly veggies and salad mixes. As far as whole grain/whole wheat--check the back of packages! If the first ingredient isn't whole wheat, opt out and look for something else. Buy stuff that says 100% whole wheat or 100% whole grain. Whole wheat pasta and brown rice are great staples. I think they MAY have some organic dairy and some organic cereals. Kashi is awesome as far as organic/all natural/high fiber/high protein and they make cereal and granola bars and even frozen pizzas. General Mills is doing all their cereals with whole grain these days I believe. Fresh and frozen fruits and veggies are the best so kudos on that! Other ingredients I try to shy away from, high fructose corn syrup...I look for things made with cane juice, mollasses (sp?), and honey...I check for MSG (monosodium glutamate) ESPECIALLY in soups and snacks. Best advice, the fewer ingredients in the ingredient list the more natural it is and most likely the better it is for you! Hope that helps some!
  • aneajo
    Oh and one more thing. If you can get to a HyVee or Kroger, they have alot to offer for Organic/Natural foods
  • prot11
    prot11 Posts: 15
    Just one thing - "natural" is a meaningless label that used for marketing purposes. To use organic certain criteria have to be met, this is not so with "natural".
  • MrsChasteen
    MrsChasteen Posts: 48 Member
    Thanks for your help guys...I will have to see what I can do...I do enjoy Kashi products and I am glad to know that they have pizza. I was actually searching online earlier for a ready-made healthy pizza crust. Does anyone else know of good reputable brands?
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Alvarado Street Bakery. You can buy it online. They also have great bread and other healthy goodies.

Here are the ingredients:

Organic Sprouted Whole Wheat Berries
    Organic Unbleached Wheat Flour
    Filtered Water
    Cultured Wheat
    Wheat Gluten
    Safflower Oil
    Fresh Yeast
    Bread Crumbs
    Salt
    Honey
This discussion has been closed.