late night workouts

Options
i usually dont get to work out until around 9pm or so, those of you that work out that late do you eat something afterwards? i try to eat a bannana or a rice cake or have a smoothie, but didnt know if i was working against me or for me? tia

Replies

• calabrdm
    calabrdm Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I workout late. I never eat after. However, this works for me.
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    i try to eat something after, but if you're not hungry then i wouldn't bother :o)
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    You will have to figure out what works for you!

I work out late (9-10 PM sometimes), then eat (as late as 11PM sometimes)...but then I stay up another hour or two. I also base what I eat on how hungry I am and how many calories I have for the day.

If you look at my food journal, I have a meal scheduled for that late.

Hope this helps!!! Good luck!!!
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a 930 workout. I am not hungry, but I stared at fridge for a minute and just gave up! lol
    Usually just drink some H2O and hit the hay.
  • kms1981
    kms1981 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I try to eat a banana or protein bar before, like an hour before I work out when going late.
  • melanielockard
    melanielockard Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    thankya!! i had read somewhere not to eat late night, so i was freaked out!
  • ashleyk_xox
    ashleyk_xox Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I work out at 10 PM sometimes 11...I usually eat before and try not to eat again unless Im going to be up for a long time. If I do eat something I chose something like soup or veggies.
  • jab_mn
    jab_mn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yup I am a late night worker outer too. I've heard that eating something like fruit or a smoothie isn't good because of the sugar in fruit, but I don't really have any data to back that up. Still I am usually hungry after I work out so I usually have a little bit of cottage cheese or string cheese.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    As long as you don't go overboard in your eating. It really doesn't matter when you eat things, just if you are not getting too much to eat. I think you are fine with that. I use to save calories for ice cream after I would work out late and go to baskin robbins and have a scoop of ice cream and still lost weight. It is a common misconception that you shouldn't eat late. The only reasoning behind that is that most people tend to eat more at night or just add to the excess cals they already ate. Sorry I have done plenty of research on the subject, I am a personal trainer and have a dietitian for a sister. Just keep up the good work and as long as you are not going over in cals you are doing fine!!
  • Crystals422
    Crystals422 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't go overboard in your eating. It really doesn't matter when you eat things, just if you are not getting too much to eat. I think you are fine with that. I use to save calories for ice cream after I would work out late and go to baskin robbins and have a scoop of ice cream and still lost weight. It is a common misconception that you shouldn't eat late. The only reasoning behind that is that most people tend to eat more at night or just add to the excess cals they already ate. Sorry I have done plenty of research on the subject, I am a personal trainer and have a dietitian for a sister. Just keep up the good work and as long as you are not going over in cals you are doing fine!!

I agree. I think nuts or a banana would be a great idea. I have heard that you should eat within a hour of working out.
  • froggytank3
    froggytank3 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I usually don't get to workout till after 10pm, and generally its for about an hour and a half. An hour on the treadmill and 30 mins with wii active II, and inbetween them I make a make a shake with fruits, vegs, and so vitamins and it seems to really help.

2422753.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter