Does a single day off spell trouble for you too?

Options
I know where my weaknesses are, and that's a really good thing!!! For me to take just one day off of either eating well or exercise (or both) spells trouble. Today I did both.

My son turned 12 today so (yes, here come the excuses) I was running around getting things for his special day, one of which is of course was a cake, and didnt have time to exercise... I has a SLIVER of cake, probably a 1/4 of a regular slice, but guess where the remainder of the cake is, and guess where I work!? Yep, at home!

Maybe this post should be under a different category, but surely I am not the only one that struggles with life, right?

My point is, I know what can happen tomorrow, and my question is, how do you stay strong??

Do you ever feel like a little kid that just can't say no to a bag of candy? That's me. And one yes, turns into a hundred more. Just like one day off from SOME type of exercise means an easier way to make an excuse for tomorrow too...
:huh:

Replies

• ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Yep yep yep! I hear you and it used to be that if I had one bad day, I just figured I blew it and would just go back to the way I was. I stay with it now because I know that one bad day isn't going to kill it and ruin my weight loss so I just get back on track the next day. Life happens and it's easy to get too busy or fall into a snacking trap, but just remember that tomorrow, you get back to a good routine and try hard to have willpower!
  • LeslieRoyale
    LeslieRoyale Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    THROW...THE CAKE...AWAY...

I know it sounds simple, and frivolous, and selfish...I mean, you probably spent money on that cake, and why deny your son his birthday cake, right??

You are worth more than a birthday cake, and I'm sure your son is, too :smile:

Hoping you find the strength to resist, in whatever way that happens :flowerforyou:

Leslie
  • laney237
    laney237 Posts: 26
    Options
    Oh yes....I ate a chocolate bar this afternoon, which caused a domino affect for the rest of the day...even had a nap instead of going to the gym!!
  • Picky_nikki
    Picky_nikki Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Oh, I completely agree! One meal off can snowball even for me... Especially if I have been doing well, and on track, and feeling a little cocky! lol Bread IS my kryptonite! I try and avoid it as much as I can...

I am in a really good frame of mind right now, and actually craved kale today... so I guess I am just an extremist.

I try and eat as clean as I can for health, and hopefully the rest will come.

Chin up, and freeze the cake! Out of sight out of mind is a lot easier than on the counter, or in the fridge staring at you every time you are in the kitchen.
  • sunnygirlray1
    Options
    Hi There,
    I am reading a book called Body-for- life. In it you follow a program six days and you eat whatever you want on the seventh day. A lot of the trainers at the gym eat this way. They say planning a day off once a week leads to success and not feeling deprived. I have a friend who lives this way and she said it totally works. She is also in amazing shape so I believe her! I am just starting this week but thought I would share with you. Hope you have a great week!
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    BrownEyedG1rl Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm a lot like you describe as well. I had a day just like yours on my daughter's 2nd birthday back on 2/21. I didn't work out...didn't have time that day and I ate horribly. BUT, the next day you just have to get right back in the saddle. You have to TELL YOURSELF you WILL workout and you WILL NOT eat anymore cake. Do something with the cake. Either put it somewhere that you won't see it everytime you go into the kitchen, or throw it away. Or give it to somebody. That cake would be calling my name. I can't have stuff like that in the house because I feel like my willpower isn't strong enough yet.

So basically I'm saying, yes, life gets in the way. Somedays aren't as good as the day before, but you have to remind yourself WHY you want to lose weight and get healthy. If it helps, look at pictures of yourself that you think aren't flattering. Post them on your fridge if you have to as a reminder!

Good luck to you!!
  • MelHoneyRocks
    Options
    Throw the cake in the garbage.
  • ltowne
    ltowne Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling! I have typically been the very same way. Once I venture off the path, I can find a hundred reasons to continue. This time has been different though. I have made mistakes along the way (many in fact) but I look at each day and celebrate the things that I do accomplish. Exercise has been a big difference for me. When I eat poorly, I hit the gym extra hard and then I gain renewed energy to begin a new day. . Just remember...don't beat yourself up over one day. Tomorrow is a new day! Feel free to add me as a friend. Good luck to you!
  • missvics
    missvics Posts: 112
    Options
    I completely understand what you're saying. I also know what it's like to have something in the house that you shouldn't eat cause that's all you can think about right? It's also hard when other people in your house can and will eat those things. How do you find the compromise?

Well...like everyone always says, you just got to put the bad day behind you and move forward. I had a really bad day calorie wise a few days ago and the next day I just did better. Just make sure you work out tomorrow. I also reward myself every day that I do work out with one piece of REALLY GOOD chocolate. Then I'm less likely to binge on other chocolate if I know I can have a piece, plus since I only eat it after working out it gives me incentive to go to the gym. So tomorrow, if you're really eyeballing that cake, maybe make yourself workout then reward yourself with a small slice. But I always try to make sure that my reward food is really good and not something mediocre because I wouldn't want to waste my one piece of candy a day on something so so.

Another thought, when I have left over food in my house that I don't want to eat I will often give it away. Friends and family are always willing to help out.

Well...good luck and don't give up because of one bad day.
  • menchi
    menchi Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Cake needs to go, really. If you feel bad about wasting it, maybe donate it (homeless shelter or something like that)? As for the excersizing, you totally ran around and did lots of work burning calories. The MFP database has "housework" as a cardio exercise so you might want to add that in on days where you do more than the usual amount.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    freeze it in portions that can go in your son's lunchbox.
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you get back on track the next day, you're not a failure. Haha, like Scarlett O'Hara says, "Tomorrow is another day!"

I don't know if this is helpful, but it helps me. I actually allow myself one "no track" cheat day a week. It's either a Saturday or Sunday, depending on what social stuff I have going on that day, and it's only one day. I still try to eat healthier or mimic my eating habits from the rest of the week, but I allow myself to indulge a little if I want to. If I'm craving something all week, I'll allow myself to have it on my cheat day. This is by no means a binge day, but a day that I'll let myself have a little of what everyone else is having and not feel guilty, and I still get in my exercise. Then the next day, I'm back tracking and sticking to my calorie limit. It's a lot easier for me to get through the week, knowing that there IS a day I can have a treat if I'd like, and it stops me from doing it on normal days the rest of the time, because in the back of my mind, I know I have the opportunity coming up.
  • TORNATO1
    TORNATO1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I seriously threw out the remaining cake from my wife's bday party. It was a lot easier passing on a slice that's been in the garbage can hahaah
  • flaquitadelafrontera
    Options
    Hee hee, I fall off the wagon sometimes too...scratch that, I DIVE off head first sometimes! I do weird quirky little things to try to resist. I sometimes imagine the donut or whatever else directly attaching itself to my *kitten* lol. When I let myself get too ravenous (like eat my are hungry) I make sure that I stay very conscious. I take out what I plan to snack on and put the rest away in a way/place that makes me very conscious of the it, if I choose to eat more. When I know I have something coming up like a bday party or an outing that may involve some adult beverages I budget for it. I make sure that I eat light and exercise a little extra on or around that day so that if I add it up week wise, it balances out. Lets see, what other little things help me? Umm, I let myself feel a little snobby;) ex. if there are donuts at work that everyone is devouring I say to myself, "eww, I don't eat donuts because I am an athlete/too health conscious to eat something that's so bad for you." I know, I'm sorta lying to myself, but it helps to remind myself that I AM making healthy choices and I it's ok to pat myself on the back for it. If I'm tempted by something unhealthy I ask myself what flavor about that food it is I am craving. If it's salty/sweet/sour/etc., I think what little snack do I have that's a healthier choice, and just as satisfying. Ooh, another good one I've been using lately is thinking it's sooo easy to gain and SO hard to loose! Ugh, I'd much rather not gain than have to think...loosing the extra 5 pounds will take, at least, 5 WEEKS (of hard work and deprivation) to loose. These things don't always work for me, but I find that the more little safe guards and mental notes I add, the less I cheat! Maybe one day I'll find myself not even needing my little mental tricks. Good luck! Oh p.s. if you have bad things in your house, GET THEM OUT so you don't even have to think about resisting them!
  • flaquitadelafrontera
    Options
    Ha haa, I just remembered this! I was once watching some bad reality tv and this guy takes a couple bites of his cupcake then suddenly grabs the windex, and sprays whats left of it!!! When the rest of the room looked at him like he was a lunatic, he says, "WHAT? It's the only way I can get myself to stop eating it...here I'll do yours, *spray, spray*"! It made me laugh hysterically and it totally worked!
  • prot11
    prot11 Posts: 15
    Options
    I second the allowing yourself a "cheat" every now and then, and the throw the cake away notions.
  • suzhawken
    suzhawken Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Wow, you guys are so amazing!!! I am SO thankful I found this app and site!!

We have two drudges at our house one of which is in the garage. Out of sight, out of mind. My son (who is special needs) would be absolutely mortified if I trashed the cake. If it were my cake, no problem, out to the trash it goes, but not when it's his...

On another community post I saw a March Challenge to loose 10lbs this month, which motivated me and will keep me motivated by checking in each day. We have our very first family vacation at the end of the month - of course it is a cruise!!!- so I have 25 days to loose the 10lbs...

I do believe that we can, and really must, cheat once in a while, as to completely deny ourselves something that we love just spells disaster to me too. I figure I can have a treat once a week, and yesterday's 1/4 slice of cake was it!!

Thank you all!