PIcking yourself back up again?

Options
Hi Everyone,

I've had a couple days in a row over calorie goal, especially today with eating out and I was wondering what everyone does to pick themselves back up again to get back on track. Before coming to this site my few "bad" days turned into weeks and eventually months that led to the weight I'm trying to lose now, so I'm just trying to find ways of stopping the cycle before I start the downward spiral again.

Thanks!

Replies

• jaccismith
    Options
    You just did...by acknowledging it. So tomorrow is a new day:smile:
  • MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I agree. You are picking yourself back up again by acknowledging it. I'm right where you are :)
  • dlj1970
    dlj1970 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Exactly! I just send out the SOS to my MFP friends and they come to my rescue! As long as you keep picking yourself up, you're winning: ) Good luck!
  • p222
    p222 Posts: 20
    Options
    A good (thin) friend once asked me, "if you stumble on your stairs do you just pitch yourself down the rest of them? No! of course not, you regain your balance. So, why do you do that with your weight loss efforts?" Basically, I realized that one unhealthy meal does not equal an unhealthy day, and just because I go over my calorie goal for a day or two the week is not "ruined!" So, we acknowledge our mistakes, pick ourselves up as gracefully as possible, and intentionally walk down those stairs: tomorrow is a new step and a new day!
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    start tonight by planning your food for tomorrow...fill out your food log tonight...make all the tough decisions now (then stick to the plan)!
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    don't dwell on what you can't change and move forward.
  • erin6026
    erin6026 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    After multiple attempts at dieting, I finally noticed the obvious. I'm GREAT for 3 weeks, then when week 4 rolls around I lose motivation and start falling off the wagon. Now that I've recognized the trend, I prepare for that week. I tell myself that I don't have to lose, just maintain. This means there aren't cheat DAYS but I can sneak in a bit more pasta, or that slice of bread, or a second glass of wine...just to keep my sanity. I go easier on myself that week, and tell myself I need to get back on track after the week is up.

I think it's all about being gentle with yourself. I never strive for a PERFECT diet and workout routine, but I want to do my best. If I'm having an off day (or week!), I shift my goal from my goal calories/exercises/weight loss to "don't damage what you've worked so hard for".

Just because you had an off week doesn't mean your whole journey is over. You're just taking a breather!
  • naebear99
    naebear99 Posts: 73
    Options
    Mostly, I try to focus on keeping my week on track, and also on remembering that even if I go over my limit, the limit is set low to encourage weight loss. To gain, I'd have to exceed my goal by 1000 calories per day! Therefore, if I splurge by even 500, I'm still doing WELL, not poorly. I'm also doing well if it's a day I would previously have snacked on a burger, fries, soda, milkshake, and apple pies, and instead, I settle for the burger, diet soda, and apple pie. It's about doing BETTER, not being PERFECT.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I was just kicking myself for falling off the wagon yesterday. I binged on ice cream and honey buns. I typically don;t have a problem with overeating. I tend to undereat and then binge. All I can do is move forward and forgive myself.

I did better today and plan to do even better tomorrow.
  • britt_fit
    britt_fit Posts: 169
    Options
    i can't thank you all enough!! ALL of your tips and encouragement is really helpful! I've always struggled with all-or-nothing thinking, so this is where it changes I guess :smile:
  • maffydavison
    maffydavison Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I've had a couple days in a row over calorie goal, especially today with eating out and I was wondering what everyone does to pick themselves back up again to get back on track. Before coming to this site my few "bad" days turned into weeks and eventually months that led to the weight I'm trying to lose now, so I'm just trying to find ways of stopping the cycle before I start the downward spiral again.

Thanks!

ALL of us have the experience of a bad day turning into more than that. You are not alone. The thing to remember is that EVERY DAY is the re-start. Even if you had a good previous day. Each day is a new one for you -- the first one of its kind you've ever seen - it's just another step toward your goal. Some days are less 'progressive' than others. Like today. I made a new recipe, I had some wine with dinner, and made some additions to the recipe that made it more caloric than it should have been for a rabid dieter. Oh, well. So what? I will get back on track tomorrow, and did as best as I could do today. It's my journey. One day at a time, each day the best that I can do and no better. Each day its own creation...Just as I am my own, evolving creation -- as are you. So, get back on plan. No big. You have good days and bad ones - maybe some in a row that you wish were singular, so what? It's not for us. It's for you. Keep going. One step at a time. Keep going toward your goal and you will make it. I know you will!!
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Be kind to yourself, accept and move on, that's all anybody could do, nobody's perfect.

Julie
  • pdcarrell
    pdcarrell Posts: 101
    Options
    The Skinny way of thinking is to think Tomorrow is a New Day and despite that cake I had yesterday or that whole day I messed up overeating you have to think you can do it and wake up the next day wanting to prove to yourself and the world you can do it! Jump back on the Saddle and Steer! ;) It helps having friends to hold you somewhat accountable but it's something you have to want!