quorn - sucess?

Options
has anyone had any success by switching to quorn?
i really like the stuff, i prefer the quorn mince to normal mince. and i've just got the chicken pieces to try.

had anyone found that it works for them???

Replies

• Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to get past the fact that it is a fungus born product. So many other ways to get protein.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I use it occaisionally, I do prefer normal mince but it makes a nice change and means I can have it last minute as it's frozen, rather than going to shops and getting fresh mince.
    If you prefer it then go for it, it's lower in fat than even the really lean mince so can't be a bad thing :)
  • mummabee
    Options
    I do, I use it as a mince substitue, and also have Linda Macartney Vege Sausages instead of normal ones, they are lovely. I do find that a lot of the other quorn products are still quite high in calories though xx
  • lenwie
    lenwie Posts: 240
    Options
    sometimes when doing a big family meal like lasagne or spag bol I will use some beef mince with quorn, get flavour from the beef but drops fat and cals due to using the quorn.

I use the fillets (2 for under 100 cals) quite often, I usually cook them with chilli powder, Paprika, onion and garlic granules with water, cook right down and it creates a spicy sauce which at same time gets absorbed into the fillets, great with rice or in a tortilla:wink:
  • Pip_K_W
    Pip_K_W Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I love it!! My boyfriend and I switched about a month ago and wouldn't go back. We still have 'real' meat if we're going out but for home Quorn is the best!
    I used to hate preparing chicken and now I don't have to :0)
    I'm sure I wouldn't have lost as much if I was eating proper mince, it seems so greasy now. Their sausages are great in a casserole and I just use the mince and chicken in the same recipes I would usually.
    Have fun with it and experiment with all different flavours!
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I've been veggie for nearly 17 years, and I'd always recommend Quorn! Mind you, I don't know the difference! But I prefer Linda McCartney sausages to the Quorn ones. I find the Quorn ones bland and textureless. Linda McCartney mince pies are nice too, but high cal!
  • AnnaleisJ
    AnnaleisJ Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Well I don't see that it would do any harm..... I was a vegetarian for 13 years and ate a lot of Quorn products. I have started eating meat again but I still have Quorn every now and again mostly because it's healthier but also because it's just as good as meat most of the time (apart from those peppered steaks they do - NOTHING like the real thing lol) But anyways, I think it would probably be worth trying out as it is better for you that some meat products like mince. :o)
  • bobblebee77
    bobblebee77 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    has anyone had any success by switching to quorn?
    i really like the stuff, i prefer the quorn mince to normal mince. and i've just got the chicken pieces to try.

had anyone found that it works for them???

Hiya

I often use Quorn as a filler when I dont want to have meat - Im not vegetarian but was finding I was just getting too full so if Ive had a few red/white meaty days I will go for quorn... or sometimes I will say have one normal sausage and a Quorn sausage. (Tho' think that is just torture lol)

I do have a recipe for a Dairy Free Quorn Based Korma curry "Quorma" that I adapted from a traditional Korma recipe, I'll try to find the details as I find the Chicken pieces subsitute nicely for Chicken - even my anti-vege foods father enjoyed it.. LOL

My friend made a yummy spag bol with Quorn - I didnt think this was possible as I love a full beef mince bolagnaise more than most foods!

Quorn's not so bad, but depends how you season it etc as its vvvvvv bland - am still learning!

:)
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm clearly not from anywhere near any of you guys because I have no idea what quorn or mince is.
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'm clearly not from anywhere near any of you guys because I have no idea what quorn or mince is.
    hehe i only heard of quorn since coming on mfp! I still have never seen it around here
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    hehe i only heard of quorn since coming on mfp! I still have never seen it around here
    I've seen it advertised on the television but can never find it in any shops. It is a vegetarian meat substitute (it is basically a vegetarian meat substitute made from a fungus)
  • Aylilth
    Aylilth Posts: 125
    Options
    I can't seem to get past the fact that it is a fungus born product. So many other ways to get protein.

Same here.

And I can say have not tried it and most likely can't try as my other half is allergic to mushrooms.
  • kelda_shelton
    Options
    Quorn is a mostly UK europe thing. As is Linda McCartney.

You find it in the fresh aisles (often beside the cold meat quiches etc) and the frozen food aisles in the big supermarkets.

I'm a veggie and use it all the time. My husband is not a veggie and loves quorn too.