A Little Help/Advice, Please!

Options
Hey guys,

So although at the moment my appetite is way way down (see my other thread for why, lol), when it comes back and I'm actually able to eat proper solid food; I would like some help/advice/tips, etc...

I like to try and get a good amount of protein and fiber in my diet and I try to not have a lot of carb-based foods (aside from my morning cereal, which is generally a high-fiber one for obvious reasons...!)

What I'm finding hard is snacks.
I tend to keep fruit handy, whether it's fresh, tinned, whatever...but I do find that it doesn't really fill me up.
I've searched and searched and a the general consensus seems to be that things that involve dairy (string cheese, low-fat cottage cheese, low-fat fruit yogurts, etc...) are one of the better choices for filling, low-cal and low-fat snacks.

My problem here is that I'm lactose intolerant and the non-dairy alternatives to things like cheeses taste like feet.
I've tried to just eat a small amount of low-fat fruit yogurt or a single portion of string cheese anyway and the after-effect is really not worth the benefit of keeping me feeling fuller.

So my question for you guys is:
What can I eat that has a good amount of protein and fiber and that will keep me from reaching for something completely unhealthy?

Oh btw - I live in the UK and we don't have some of the brands/items that people in the US have.

Thank you!!

Replies

• hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    peanut butter on high-fiber bread
    celery with peanut butter
    apples with peanut butter

But also, have you tried lactase enzymes (sold in capsule or tablet form in the food supplement aisle)?
  • UmbraForzare
    Options
    peanut butter on high-fiber bread
    celery with peanut butter
    apples with peanut butter

But also, have you tried lactase enzymes (sold in capsule or tablet form in the food supplement aisle)?

PB I hadn't thought of - I always thought it was too high cal wise to be beneficial?
    I try to go easy on the bread as I don't digest it overly well (not sure if it's the wheat as I'm fine with things like weetabix, bran cereals, etc..) but I can work something out there, I think.
    I've seen a lot of people mention celery with PB and I admit it sounds weird! Does it taste good? My brain is just going "ew!" at the idea of it :laugh:

I did try a couple of different lactase enzyme tablets a few months back and found that they didn't really help too much.
    For me, it wasn't worth buying them; but I know they work for a lot of people.
  • labrat26
    labrat26 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    hummus with rice crackers
    a boiled egg
    peanut butter spread over a banana
    almonds
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I've only tried it today, and its great:
    marinated chicken mini fillets (mine was tikka), grilled and eaten cold. 3 fillets = 100 cals, and it will keep you full for hours. And its sooo yummy :bigsmile:
  • leikelaferris
    Options
    mixed nuts, low salt or unsalted. They are high in certain kinds of fat, but portion yourself out only a small palmful for snacks and they keep your stomach at bay for a long time because they take alot of work to digest. Don't open the container and sit it in front of you though, they can be addicting like any snack food, take only the smaller portion in your hand/bowl/snack bag etc.. and then munch until they are gone.
  • princesschikee
    Options
    Choose natural peanut butter. And have you tried greek yogurt.
    Kippered snacks are great.
    What I typically do is eat 5 small meals a day with each one consisting of carbs, protein and fat. That way there is no mid-day slump and my body stays energized and burns more calories.
    Homemade protein bars are great too.