My weightloss has stopped... Why?

Options
Okay, so I am thinking that my lack of motivation is probably because my weightloss seems to have plateau'ed.

I've gained 4 lb in the past week - but I've followed the plan, I've not gone over and I have excersised and eaten good stuff.

I have PCOS and I'm on Metformin - I know this will slow it down a bit, but surely not gain?

I weigh myself the same time (early morning). On the same scales. I lost about 4 kg in total since 1 Jan when I started (I was down to 75.9 (167.33 lb) one week ago but now I'm back to 77.7 (171.3 lb) - for some reason).

I never wanted a quick weight loss - i am happy with 1 lb per week so I'm on 1500 cal a day. But I didn't quite think it would go the other way this much in one week.

Anyone else had the same issues? I try not to eat too little either because that is also not good - and I do think my diet is balanced and I drink 2-3 litres of water a day too. My diet-diary is true to the gramme and everything that I eat goes in there.

Any suggestions or similar stories?

Thanks heaps

B

Replies

• lisablueeyes
    lisablueeyes Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain... Mine has stoped as well!! The scale does not want to move...
  • alisons7598
    alisons7598 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You may need to trick your metabolism into losing again. Maybe doing a different type of exercise every couple days or mixing your calories up a bit. some days higher, some days lower. I've heard this works great for some people because your body never knows what to expect. Whatever you decide good luck and keep pressing on! You will find something that works for you:)
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    what is your sodium intake? are you eating your exercise calories? Are you getting enough fiber? there are lots of factors that can contribute....
  • fitfocusedfamily
    fitfocusedfamily Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same trouble. It is easy to get discouraged. Here is what I have done.

Try changing your workout routine. Your body has gotten used to what you are doing. It needs to be confused so it will start working for you again. Try zig-zagging your calories. This is when you will have a couple of days with a lower calorie intake, a really high day, and the rest will be your average. Over the course of the week, your average daily calorie consumption will be the same. I use this website http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm. Just beneath the "results," you will see "7-day calorie zig-zag." This will give you the recommended calorie intake daily for the zig-zag. I follow the "fat loss" column.

Keeping your body confused with the number of calories you consume and your muscles with the workout will keep it guessing and always working for you to burn fat. The muscle confusion system is used through the home fitness programs offered through Beachbody. I've done it with Slim in 6, P90X & Insanity. It works. Their programs change the workout routine every 3-4 weeks. Try that and see if it helps.

Best wishes to you. I'm always happy to help! I'll send you a friend request.
  • laurabeth02
    Options
    You could try interval training in your workouts. I recently starting jogging for 1 min, sprinting for 3, walking for 1 (4 times). I've seen pretty consistent weight loss for the past couple weeks. Your body gets used to the same thing after awhile. I also lowered my caloric intake and only eat my excercise calories on occasion. I never let myself go hungry though. :) I understand that everyone is different, but this is what helped me. :smile: Good luck, hang in there!
  • BronteLondon
    Options
    Lower sodium because I have two small kids so we hardly use salt at all in our house - and we hardly eat out - everything is made from home (I'm a cook). We don't buy processed food or ready meals. The only "cheat" is using fat free yoghurt and sweetener because i have a sweet tooth, but I limit it.

What do you mean "eating my excersise calories?" I thought I could. Can't I? Did I misunderstand? I thought that if my daily allowance is 1500 cal and I burn off 400 more, then my daily allowance is 1900? Most days recently I'm under1500 anyway...

I vary my excersise from walking to swimming to cyclking.
  • mrsknotts
    mrsknotts Posts: 115
    Options
    I'm no expert, so take this for what it's worth. But I have heard that if you eat the same foods your body will begin to go into autopilot when it digests them. What I was told to do is maybe one day every couple of weeks have a food that isn't so good for you. This way your body has to work harder to digest and it restarts your metabolism. I don't know if this works, but I do know that when I've gotten into a good stride of eating well and exercising throwing in a "bad" food item does usually help me to lose an extra pound. Maybe you need to eat some different foods from what you have been?
  • fitfocusedfamily
    Options
    Lower sodium because I have two small kids so we hardly use salt at all in our house - and we hardly eat out - everything is made from home (I'm a cook). We don't buy processed food or ready meals. The only "cheat" is using fat free yoghurt and sweetener because i have a sweet tooth, but I limit it.

What do you mean "eating my excersise calories?" I thought I could. Can't I? Did I misunderstand? I thought that if my daily allowance is 1500 cal and I burn off 400 more, then my daily allowance is 1900? Most days recently I'm under1500 anyway...

I vary my excersise from walking to swimming to cyclking.

As long as you meet your daily allowance, after exercise, you will be fine. Some choose to this: Daily allowance 1500 - exercise 400 = 1100 at the end of the day. I, personally, do not recommend this. Your daily allowance is determine by your daily routine, before additional exercise. Therefore, if you do not consume more calories to burn off with exercise, you are not providing yourself with sufficient fuel, which can also lead to plateaus because the body goes into starvation mode. This can also cause weight gain. I recommend you keep doing what you are doing, just yo-yo your calorie intake each day.

All of your exercise is cardio. Try adding in some strength training with weights. Building muscle also burns fat and will help your cardio work better for you. You only need to add strength training 2-3 days per week, focusing on different muscle groups each day. Adding a small amount of weight helps. You can do this a little at a time, starting with none and building up. Doing simple things like lunges, push-ups, and pull-ups are strength training and engages the muscles.
  • fitfocusedfamily
    Options
    I just got this in my email! Great timing!

3 Reasons Why You're Not Losing Weight
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=1605
  • BronteLondon
    Options
    Thanks, everyone.

I just analysed my food diary and actually, it seems that without noticing, I have more bad days than good. Conviniently forgotten. Still, they are about 1000 cal less a day than they used to be, but still! One of the answers must lie there.

Will keep going...

thanks again