Ive read on here that...

Options
ive heard a few people on here say that when your muscles are sore after a work out they will retain water (or something like that?)
well after yesterday's work out (something new for me), that left my calves are SO ACHEY that it even hurts to walk this morning, i wanted to weigh myself to see how much my muscles were retaining.
but i still seen a loss on the scale.

so did i misunderstand? or what?

Replies

• shmarlyboo
    Options
    I have heard the same thing from other people. sore muscles = water retention.

on the other hand, a protein shake after a hard workout will help your muscles and actually reduce some of the soreness
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Muscles can retain water after new or increase in intensity of workout outs (more likely with weight lifting than cardio) but your muscles can be sore without retaining water for a variety of reasons.
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    That's all true, however you also lose water when you sweat. Here's a link for a better explanation. http://www.ehow.com/facts_5579501_do-retain-water-after-exercise_.html
  • Megthatgirl
    Megthatgirl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I started doing the 30 day shred, and my muscles werent very sore, but I gained 4 pounds in 3 days lol. Needless to say I freaked out and had a serious heart to heart with my scale. I let him know that If he didnt make me happy, I would throw him out the window.

But anyway, I finally dropped my water weight this week and no longer have homicidal thoughts about my scale.

But Ive done workouts and diets before and never had that happen, so I think its just hit or miss...
  • princesschikee
    Options
    I have heard the same thing from other people. sore muscles = water retention.

on the other hand, a protein shake after a hard workout will help your muscles and actually reduce some of the soreness

Yes, it is very important to repair your muscles after they've been broken down The best thing to do is to make sure you get protein and quick release carbs within 30 minutes of your workout. A protein shake with fruit would be a good choice. IMHO.
  • gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I just posted an article on sore muscles the other day. Take a ginger supplement and eat some fresh pinneapple, a natural help to sore muscles. the cause is lactic acid build up in your muscles. When you work out and you feel the burn, that is lactic acid. On day 2 if you are sore it is because you've ripped muscle tissue (a good thing) and your body will build it back into stronger muscles. make sure you are getting protein in your diet. Gael
  • LyonInLondon
    LyonInLondon Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It's called DOMS - Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness

Water retention can be due to lots of things. Drink lots of water - this also helps with the muscle soreness as it helps flush out the lactic acid build up after a workout.