For the ladies...

Options
(Warning: It's a T.O.M. question for you guys lurking :laugh: )

Ok, this is the thing: I take a mulitvitamin with iron and most days eat 2c of of dark leafy greens or fresh spinach for the extra iron... but I still feel sooo tired during T.O.M. My .'s are heavy and last on average a whole week. Normally I'm a 6-7 hours night sleeper, except on weekends I get 8. But this week I've been falling asleep sometimes without knowing it for any where from 10-12 hours! I've been doing the Shred even though I haven't quite "felt it" in the past couple days (and it does reflect in my HRM for calories burned) and even have gone on fast walks which I actually love. Unfortunately though, the boost of energy I get from working out hasn't been enough to keep me from feeling tired most of the day. Even if I do have a cup of coffee I lose steam after a few hours (I have only 1 cup a day, if any at all, even on normal days)

My calories for the day are set at 1460 and on the days I work out I eat any where from 1600-1900 depending on how much I worked out. Also I'm a mom of 2, so I have to keep up with them and the house, but it's nothing super strenuous and yet feel tired even on the days I workout only a bit. My son even said to last night when tucking him in "Mom I hope you have a good night and those things under your eyes go away" I looked at him and he added, innocently, "and you wake up not feeling cranky":blushing:

Does any one else get a drained/run down feeling during the T.O.M.? Does anyone have suggestions or things that work for them? Or do I need to just to suck it up for a few more days?:yawn:

(Edited twice to fix my numerous spelling errors as I'm sooo tired. OMG I even had misspelled "spelling")

Replies

• nickyevans
    nickyevans Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I feel exhausted during mine and mine aren't even that bad since I had a mirena coil fitted. I managed to avoid eating more but I did have to take a day or two off going to the gym - I work from home and feel asleep at my laptop :blushing:
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I hear ya on the TOM exhaustion. I personally just keep moving on day by day.. It's harder for me to exercise at that time, I don't have the muchies like alot of women fight with I just don't feel like doing anything. I don't know if you like Turnip Greens but they are 100% iron and when my daughters or me is there, that's what we eat at least every other day. It helps them tremendously..

I will say I personally don't eat my calories earned from working out, I found when I done that at the beginning of my course I didn't lose the weight. So I stopped and started dropping the pounds. But to each their own..

Good Luck and keep pushing to a better you....
  • Grace76
    Grace76 Posts: 34
    Options
    It sounds like you read my journal. I get really tired really easy a week before and then 3 days before I'm exhausted. It takes every ounce of power I can muster just to do the regular things each day, nevermind planning meals and exercise.

But I do have to say, that since I started regular work outs and proper eating, I feel better through that time. Not perfect by any means but better.

Hang in there and get the sleep that you need. If you can, maybe fit in an hour nap in the day?? when kids are in school or having a nap themselves??
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My doctor put me on a Vitamin D supplement (over the counter) and I go in once a month for B12 shots for anemia.
    It helps.
  • toni1011
    toni1011 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Have you tried taking a B12 supplement? They are awesome!
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I do get tired when my period comes. My bleedin' is not heavy - but I've noticed alot more cramps since I have been workin' out - these past 3 months. I don't crave in to JUNKfood anymore - ever since I started my new lifestyle Dec 6 2010.

I do 2 workouts a day regardless on how I feel. I get my Endorphins released back into my systems and feel 100% better than I did when I began my workout.

I guess its really up to each person durin' there Period time. Everyone is different. Are you able to sit in front of a window with the sun comin' through or go outside for a walk in the sun?

Vitamin D I boost it more in the winter time.

Best wishes
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I think you're eating good. If you don't want to eat all of your exercise calories back then you can just eat enough to stay above 1200. It is a general number but I figure it's still one to stick with. Most doctors also use this number as a baseline - for women at least.

Diet and exercise are stress to the body and our body treats all stress the same. TOM is tiring and stressful too with all those hormones freaking out. Combine all of that with the busy family life and it can wear you down.

You could always check with your doctor to see if there is anything else causing the tiredness.
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Try the B12 but if your exercising, eating right and are still tired and you have the time relax during this time and go ahead and take a nap if your feeling tired more during this timeand take a power nap your body is saying you need it more then so go ahead
  • skinimin
    skinimin Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I get how frustrating it can be to be so tired all the time as I know when I get tired it literally gets to the point where I'm like "I HAVE to sleep RIGHT NOW because I canNOT function any more." but I don't have any advice on how to combat it sorry :(. I am only good for solidarity. I think TOM is someone women are always trying to find a way around but at the end of the day it sucks and there isn't a lot we can do, some of us get lucky and TOM isn't so bad to them but for the rest of us we just have to accept that there is going to be that one week where everything is a little bit harder. My suggestion is red bull, sugar free for the health conscious. I know I know I know, it's bad for you blah blah but it always gives me an energy burst. It's naughty but whatever if I have to shed linings from my internal organs and deal with all the physical consequences of that then I am going to have a red bull or an extra cup of coffee or a block of chocolate even, if it's going to make me feel better about my cramps and cull the angry beast that is my moods swings haha.
  • frenchprairiegirl
    frenchprairiegirl Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Best to stay away from caffeine completely and yes, it includes chocolate! It could be a factor to your afternoon crashes.
    If you are not allergic to bees, try bee pollen as it increases your natural energy levels. Also, increasing your workouts (even incorporate the kids) and even reducing your sleep will greatly increase your energy levels. I find that the more I sleep, the more drained I feel.
  • time2runnn
    time2runnn Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Thank you all very much for the ideas, advice, and support :smile: