Time of Day & Zone Training

Options
When working out, I have been doing my best to keep my heart rate in the "Fat Burning Zone" in order to burn the maximum stored calories (fat) as opposed to fuel calories (food). I am relatively new to the concept of Zone Training (is that even the right name for it?). Does anyone out there know if there is added benefit to working out in the morning, after the body has had ample time to digest the most recent meal, versus at the end of the day, when there is more fuel in the system? I hope all that makes sense. Thanks!

Replies

• dracobaby82
    dracobaby82 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that it doesn't matter when you workout, as long as you do it... I'm a big one for working out at night, especailly when my hubby is working nights, so he's not upset I'm taking the tv lol But when he's on day's I workout during the day. I've heard that people who workout early mornings usually stick to it and it's part of their daily routine... it just depends on when is a good time for you...
  • dnndavie
    dnndavie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Your heart rate varies during different times of the day but the variance can be different for everyone. Experiment to find when your peak time is.

I find I burn more calories working out first thing in the morning, before breakfast, than I do any other part of the day. This is because my heart is working harder after being asleep all night. Between 4-630ish my heart doesn't have to work as hard so I can train harder but I don't burn as many calories. I can run harder and longer but taking a fitness class so I can treat myself to a glass of wine is more pointless in the evening :)

Generally you will find you burn less and exercise is easier in the early evening because your body is warmer and has been going without being close to sleeptime. If you're training for a race, train at this time of day. You will run faster and harder without feeling as much.

If you want to burn more calories, morning is best. Working out before breakfast (if you're body can handle it) burns more fat stores because there isn't any food fuel to burn. However, if you can't hack it, don't do it just because of that. If you do it and feel weak or faint or sick, stop. It's not for everyone.

At the end of the day, workout when it feels best for you, when you're the most motivated. I can get up at the crack of dawn everyday and feel motivated but when I get home from work, fitness is the last thing on my mind. Hence, why I work out in the morning.

Also, why the 'fat-burning zone'? I thought it was agreed that was a rubbish theory? Perhaps do some research on interval training. you'll burn more calories and therefore more fat, and increase you EPOC, which is the rate your body burns calories when you're NOT working out. This is a good thing.
  • fdgrafius
    fdgrafius Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input! Is the "Fat Burning Zone" out? Just goes to show how long I've been out of the loop! 8) And EPOC? I clearly need to do some more research! But that is exactly why I posted the topic... I KNOW I don't know what I'm talking about. haha! If you know of any resources that debunk Zone Training, please share them. Thanks.

Keep the comments coming!
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Is the "Fat Burning Zone" out?

Depends on what you mean by "out"? "Out" of fashion, modern fitness trends...maybe. But there's a lot of evidence out there to suggest it still has merit:
    http://exercise.about.com/cs/cardioworkouts/l/aa022601a.htm
    "The body does burn a higher percentage of calories from fat in the 'fat burning zone' or at lower intensities" but you have to do it for a long time to achieve a noticeable difference, which can get pretty monotonous (boring) after a while. You might want to consider road cycling or day hiking to break the monotony.

In practice, many serious and professional bodybuilders walk on inclined treadmills in the "fat burning zone" to minimize their body fat as well as to minimize potential catabolic reduction of muscle mass, which can occur from prolonged strenuous cardio exercise. But if you don't care about preserving muscle mass, then a high intensity workout that's above the fat burning zone would be much more efficient (time-wise) to burn calories and lose fat.