1100 Calories??

Options
Need help... (I think) I Started this journey on Monday 2/28 @ 159 lbs today now at 157.6lbs (yeah me) problem is I question my daily calorie intake. could the weight loss have been greater had I taken in more calories??? I know I lost weight and shouldn't question but I just want to be sure. I didn't know what to set myself at is 1100 too low - suggestions welcomed?:grumble:

Replies

• blahlemon
    blahlemon Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Let the system set that for you, it will automatically set you to a safe weight-loss rate.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Read the hundreds of other questions about this. Generally, it is not safe to go under 1,200 calories. So that also means that you should try to eat back as many exercise calories as it takes to get back to 1,200 Net calories.
  • sarahjrrr_
    Options
    That's what I was thinking, I lost 3lbs this week (my first week, and I usually lost a lot in the first week of diets) and my calories are set at 1200, but I don't even manage to eat them all, I'm always way under. This week I'm trying to get all my calories in and exercise everyday and I'm hoping that I'll make better progress.
  • TriumphNow
    TriumphNow Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    1100 is too low. It should be at least 1200 or your body will go into starvation mode and not lose weight. If you enter your weight, goals, etc., this site will give you your target calorie max for the day. Hope this helps. I've been using MFP since mid Jan and I think it's a great tool to keep me mindful of what I'm eating and how important exercise is. I hope all goes well for you! :smile:
  • Kathy4174
    Options
    Thank you!!! I went low because I want this 30lbs gone by 5/14!!! To be honest I didn't like seeing what they system said for total once I get to April???? Definatly not enough and not acceptable! I'll do the 1200 and see how it goes!!! Thanks again :love:

Oh one more question..... sorry I hit my target calorie intake typically by 7pm then hit the treadmill I input my exercise here on the system and my calorie intake goes back down, now I do not want to eat that late to get it back up to 1200...... To Eat or Not Eat that is question :noway:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    You want to lose 30 pounds in 10 weeks. I'm not at all sure that's a reasonable goal if that's all you have to lose. Did you want to keep them off once you get there? Because forcing that kind of loss (3 pounds a week) is not realistic or healthy, particularly if you are only 30 pounds from your goal.
  • blahlemon
    blahlemon Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    1200 calories may still be too little, I understand wanting to lose the weight quickly but are you losing it for yourself or because of others? You body can still go into starvation mode when eating more then 1200 calories. Pick good healthy foods, lots of fruits and vegetables and pick exercises that maximize burning fat and building lean muscle. Lean muscle will burn fat better, help you still fit in slimmer clothes and improve your general overall health. You might be surprised, it might go fast then you expect if you make good, calculated choices!

Oh, and drink lots of water!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,241 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to comment on the calories, but when you eat does not matter. I have read several articles in scientific journals that all conclude the same thing, your body does not care when you eat, just don't go over the number of calories you have budgeted for the day. If you need to eat just before going to bed it will not negatively effect your weight loss as long as you burn more calories than you eat. Even the number of meals you eat in a day doesn't make any significant difference. Multiple small meals may help psychologically to keep you from feeling hungry, but they don't help weight loss.