Would this help get me results? Whats a better idea?

Options
Okay so I already do cardio exercises for about 1 hour each day. But I am looking for a way to tone while shedding. And just some more interesting things to add in.

If I did (25x4) 25 squats, 25 pushups, 25 crunches and 25 jumping jacks each day would that be helpful?
OR what if I pushed to do 100 squats one day, 100 pushups another day, 100 crunches another day and 100 jumping jacks. But spread them out throughout the day....

What would be better? Or would that help at all?

*Just trying to add more to my routine, I feel like I am not doing enough.

Replies

• OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Strength trainin' - (weights)
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I agree. Lift weights.
  • blessedmommy2x
    Options
    Is there a guideline or link that can help me get started with doing that? I don't know anything about it, or where to start? Wont lifting weights build muscle=weight gain?
  • Michelelapointe
    Options
    While I totally recommend lifting weights as well, squats (jump squats) , jumping jacks, burpees, and push ups will definitly help. Plyometric exercies are awesome to train wour whole body rather than just isolate one area. By doing jumping squats, burpees etc. you will be targeting more than one area, and shedding more fat. Short bursts of high activity are how I have managed to shake up my cardio. It's hard at first...but at least it beats the same old routine on the elliptical. I learned these tips from my trainer. I usually do about 6 exercises in a circuit, then repeat them, and try to beat my number from the first time.

eg. 15 squats in 30 seconds, 20 second rest, 20 burpees, 20 second rest...next exercise.

Hope this helps!
  • jjclem07
    jjclem07 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    No lifting while losing weight is recommend!!! To cut muscle do lower weights at higher reps. Make sure you learn how to do it correctly...can hurt yourself. I would recommend a class if you've never lifted before.
  • sara_xo
    sara_xo Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    women can't build muscle like men can, we don't have the testosterone that causes this effect.

For every additional pound of muscle you have, you burn an additional 50 calories at RESTING HEART RATE!

more muscle = more burn = higher metabolism
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    No lifting while losing weight is recommend!!! To cut muscle do lower weights at higher reps. Make sure you learn how to do it correctly...can hurt yourself. I would recommend a class if you've never lifted before.

Not sure where you got this information, but it is misguided. Strength training via weight lifting, kettlebell training, bodyweight exercises is absolutely recommended not only for weight loss, but for overall health. You also need to lift heavy at lower reps to see results - not the other way around. The idea is to strengthen and build muscle, which increases your metabolism and burns more calories. As another poster correctly stated, as a woman, you can't 'bulk up' lifting weights - we simply don't have that ability naturally. I do agree, however, that if you haven't lifted weights before that you get some type of guidance. There are many good exercise DVDs that serve this purpose and many good books. The New Rules of Lifting for Women is an excellent resource and can probably be found in your local library.

Also, I note in the OPs note that you are thinking about doing this every day. The usual recommendation is to have a day of rest in between strength training sessions to allow your muscles time to recover and repair.

Good luck!