Best Time to Exercise?

Options
How long before/after eating is best to wait to exercise?

Thanks,
Erin

Replies

• frenchprairiegirl
    frenchprairiegirl Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Depends on the size of your meal, usually 1-2 hours.
  • klthomas59
    klthomas59 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I usually wait 30-60 minutes after eating - works for me. I don't have anything to back up why.
  • tungaiunwa
    tungaiunwa Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    anytime is a good time to exercise lol. seriously though ive heard more times than not that cardio in the morning befor you eat anything is the best. i dont have anything to back it up its just what ive heard
  • MAPHYSIQUEGUY
    MAPHYSIQUEGUY Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Its actually best to post exercise. Reason being your body will burn off the stored carbs and then onto the fat given the length of your work-out. Once you have completed your work out your body is going to try and store whatever Carbs and sugar you take in thats why its best to eat a high protein meal after a work out along with a slow acting carb ..like chicken and brown rice. Of course its all a matter of what works for you as well.

If you must eat before a work out make sure that it is something that can be used up during your work out and is small. working out on a full stomach can lead to cramping, weakness and general fatigue reason being is that your blood is pumped to your stomach to aid in the digestion therefore your blood supply to muscles is diminished.

Full Meal = 4 hours before exercise

High carb snack/drink = 2-3 hours before exercise

Fluid Replacement (sports drink/certain fresh fruit) = 1 hour before exercise
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    anytime is a good time to exercise lol. seriously though ive heard more times than not that cardio in the morning befor you eat anything is the best. i dont have anything to back it up its just what ive heard

That's what I understand too. But it should be light cardio (don't want to pant at all) so as not to catabolize muscles.
    I know of an article from a PhD who personally practices what he teaches, but it may violate the forum rules regarding competing websites. Here's the logic:

Body fat is vulnerable in a fasted state (e.g. early morning before you eat anything). Insulin levels are very low in the morning, leaving your fat particularly vulnerable. This is the ideal time to most effectively burn fat with light cardio, supposedly tripling fat oxidation over normal resting values.

Makes sense, but I can only do this on weekends since I'm usually in a rush in the mornings before major traffic builds up.
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I prefer early morning before I eat. Less chances of throwing up that way
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I have found 1st thing after waking up is best for me, I drink some water (before and during to stay hydrated) then shower then eat. Have found I have more energy during the day this way and I do get my exercise in. Some work days I do not get up earliy enough and have to try fit in exercise later ... I find this more difficult. Hope this helped.
    Mae :-)
  • waterbabeAD
    Options
    I usually have a banana 90mins - 2 hours before my main exercise, normally late afternoon. I have my evening meal within 30 mins of completing my exercise.

I am however wanting to switch my running to early morning as soon as I wake. CAn I ask if anyone does this? I hope to manage 50 /60 mins as training for a half marathon. is this too much exercise on an empty tummy? I dont want to flake out!

Thanks!