workout when you are sick

Options
Today I am not feeling well. What kind of exercise can I do? I need to do something because the only thing I did yesterday was walk.

Replies

• kk_stephens
    kk_stephens Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    If you are not feeling well you should rest. Your body is trying to tell you something. If you feel you have to -- get some fresh air and walk again today. But if you push it too hard, you wont feel better -- you will feel worse. Please take it easy.
  • skinimin
    skinimin Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    If you are sick then you should really only go for another walk, a leisurely stroll more than anything. You might feel like it's not enough but some exercise is better than no exercise and if you work too hard while you're sick then you'll just be sick for longer and won't be able to work as hard etc. Just relax, get over the sickness and get back into it when you're feeling better. And have an apple :) haha
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Depends how sick- but can I just point out there is NOTHING wrong with "just walking". You don't need to be a gym rat to be doing well by your body (not that there's anything wrong with being a gym rat either- I'm just saying, you don't need to push 200% all the time). If you aren't feeling well, chances are your body needs to recover in its own time- a bit of walking would probably be just perfect if you aren't up to whatever your normal work out is. Respect your body!
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    rest - it's probably the best thing you can do for your body when you are sick - eat the level of calories you would need to maintain, not lose today --- your body is working out without you trying to combat whatever is going on. The sooner you rest, the sooner you will feel better and be back on your workout schedule.
  • Emoore81
    Emoore81 Posts: 3
    Options
    Depends on your symptoms. If you're having symptoms below the neck-- body aches, chills, nausea, fever, cough that rattles in your chest-- you need to stay in bed and not work out. If it's just sniffles, sneezes, headache, etc, go ahead and do a lighter, shorter version of whatever you usually do.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    If it's only a head cold you should be okay to exercise but if it's in your chest or stomach then take a rest day and enjoy bc I've pushed thru havin chest colds and ended up taken a week off from the gym. So it's all up to what type of sickness you have.
  • MandaLee8908
    MandaLee8908 Posts: 1,353 Member
    Options
    Depends on how ill you are feeling. I try to stick to strength exercises when I'm not well, like light yoga or pilates. Don't do anything too strenuous...your body is under enough stress trying to fight whatever is making you ill. If you are sick to your stomach, NO CARDIO! If you're stuffy, you may want to lay off the hardcore cardio (depending on how well you're able to breathe). Maybe try some light biking or a walk. If you have a fever, go back to bed and rest! Most people don't rest enough when they are sick and that leaves your body exhausted from trying to fight the infection on top of your normal activity. Take it easy and let your body heal.
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I had a chest cold for 2 weeks back in January. Yet I pushed myself to do my Power90 workout each day.

Just depends on how you feel...We really can't tell you - YES you must, or NO take a rest.

Get better soon xo
  • liz_bolin
    liz_bolin Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    it is in my stomach... I hope I get better this afternoon so then I can workout then I guess. Maybe a nap will help. Thanks everybody!
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I find that just doing my chores around the house but with exaggerated movements is great exercise a little more low key but still exercise... and you are getting house work done. Its a win win.

But if you are truely feeling crappy its your body's way of telling you to just CHILL THE FRICK OUT! hahah cus it needs rest!

so do your body good and rest.. its just as important as working out.
  • KelliH729
    KelliH729 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    If I just have a "cold", like runny nose, coughing, etc. I will still work out, it does not really bother me.

If I have an upset stomach, like I got that stomach virus on Feb 16th and I took time off the gym until I felt 100%, which took quite a few days.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I got really sick starting Thursday of last week. I'm usually over a common cold in a day or 2, but this really messed me up. Felt like I was going to die most of the weekend.

Back at work today for the first time since Thursday and not feeling so hot, so will probably chill out until Friday and pick up on Week 6 of P90X where I left off and hopefully get back on track. I'm pretty sure if I tried to work out today it would be pretty pittiful.