The Gracious Dreya Roll - P90X

Options
I have recently started the P90X - Lean program and I am finding the "The Dreya Roll" very difficult and a little discouraging. :grumble: Did anyone else struggle with this move and when did it become easier for you? What is a reasonable expectation?? Any advice is welcome! Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• kinsellae
    kinsellae Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Ugh!! I hate those too! I am getting better though. I'm on my 5th week and I still can't get all the way up without pushing myself with my hands but I am getting better.
  • jmecale72
    jmecale72 Posts: 214
    Options
    Ya know...I've been doing the Cardio X for about a month now and I STILL can't do a dreya roll. My gut gets in the way. LOL What I do in that time is check my heart rate, get some water if I need it, or just run in place. Like Tony says...just keep moving. Ohh...and do your best and forget the rest. i know at some point I'll be able to do them...but until then I just modify.

Good luck!
  • jram70
    jram70 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I finished P90X classic this weekend and still struggle with it. I can do it now, but it is hard. Just keep at it and use your hands if you need to. Dreya is a superfreak so I don't feel bad!
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I will start P90X Lean - next Monday

This weekend I become a Power90 Graduate...

I did a P90X Lean last summer for 3 weeks....The Dreya roll - will become easier, dependin' how well your body can move. I have Rheumatoid Arthersis - and I did my best.

Keep workin' at it :wink:
  • laaranda
    laaranda Posts: 4
    Options
    I could NOT do it!! The first time I did P90 I found that the Dreya Roll aggravated my already bad knees. This time around I've decided to forego it altogether, just didn't seem worth it to me. I really don't get the point of that move and figure I'd rather be able to do the remainder of the workout without any pain. I just do a modified rolling back and coming forward into a sitting position. If someone can give me a good reason why I need to make that extra effort, and sacrifice my knees, then I may be willing to EVENTUALLY get there. Until then, I'm perfectly happy doing the rest of the moves in the program. Good luck!
  • arobertson22
    Options
    I am right there with ya! I have only been doing this workout for 2 days (day 3 later) and this Dreya roll makes me sweat! Keep up the good work to all who is doing this workout!
  • Melisha82
    Melisha82 Posts: 243
    Options
    I still have trouble with it LOL
  • CombatVet_Armywife
    CombatVet_Armywife Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I am well into Phase 3....that blasted Dreya Roll is a killer....I'm with some other posts I've noticed, the tummy gets in the way!!

My 1st time, I thought, oh hell nah....I'll never be able to do this!! But it did get easier....and I can DO the roll, but the tummy makes me look rediculous when I go down & back up. It will come....I can't wait to try this move once the tummy is gone! Do your best....and......you know!! ;)
  • aimstein
    aimstein Posts: 94
    Options
    Don't be discouraged. Among other things, Dreya is an accomplished dancer and trapeze artist. We can't expect ourselves to be able to perform moves as well as she can when she has been incorporating them into her workouts and practicing them her entire life. I've done P90X twice and I couldn't do the Dreya roll without pushing off with my hands for a long time. Like Tony says, "do your best and forget the rest"...."Rome was not built in a day and neither is your body". You'll get there!!
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    There is so much stuff on P90x I can't do, it's not even funny. And they have the nerve to have a 1 legged man on there just to taunt me! I do modified versions of what I need modified and some things I skip all together. There is one yoga move that I know I can't do from experience. I will get asphyxiated. And I don't want the police and ME to find me like that!
  • candymwilliams
    Options
    Hi my name is Candy and i've been doing P90X for about 2 months but not straight i hurt my knee about 2 weeks ago. The Dreya roll is a hard move BUT use ur hand and it will come... I had trouble with it as well. How are u putting ur workout on this web site are you listing them one by one? I have not been putting mine on.. Thanks Candy
  • lonnellj
    lonnellj Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I recommend you modify and just do squats or a previous exercise in the routine. But ultimately keep moving!!!!
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    It becomes easier, I always use my hands to help myself, a couple of things I do is I extend one leg to the front while the other one is bended so I create a balance, and then I use my hands to push myself up, but just a little push, enough for me to stand up. Remember, the tough exercises are the ones who will make you work harder :)
  • bheimbrock
    bheimbrock Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I cross my legs as I come up which gives you a bit more leverage and balance. Still have to push with my hands and can only do about 5 before my knees start to give. But, I'm only in week 4 so I expect to get better.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Is it just me or does Dreya herself drive you nuts? She seems so arrogant and rude in the videos, a total know it all? I'm sure she is a professional and very good at what she does, but she just comes across as she really does think she is perfect and we all need to be just like her.

OK - off my soap box :)

I love that exercise, but my body tells me I'm going to hurt myself in doing it. I modify it to make it work for me, but I don't see a lot of benefit in it, it almost seems poorly demonstrated and had I not done stuff like that as a HS cheerleader, I wouldn't know just how to do it. it's in how you position your feet to shoot back up, and the roll has to be from the abs to get your feet under you correctly. I'm not sure someone my age should be doing those things with previous injuries.
    You're definitely not alone.
  • mmellor
    mmellor Posts: 146
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the positive comments and advice!:flowerforyou: It's nice to know that others have struggled with this move and have been able to adapt it. I will keep trying! Good Luck to all of you!!
  • mmellor
    mmellor Posts: 146
    Options
    Hi my name is Candy and i've been doing P90X for about 2 months but not straight i hurt my knee about 2 weeks ago. The Dreya roll is a hard move BUT use ur hand and it will come... I had trouble with it as well. How are u putting ur workout on this web site are you listing them one by one? I have not been putting mine on.. Thanks Candy

Everyone has recommended using a HRM so you can log an exact calorie burn for you, but I've been logging what I can with what is in the list...ex. core synergy I use Calisthetics and so on! I hope that helps!