Coffee and calories

Options
SunLove8
SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
Is there really calories in coffee without anything added-just straight up black coffee? I've been on a site recently that is sort of like this one and it said coffee had 5 calories even just plain. I'm curious as whether this is really true...

Replies

• neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I count mine as 2 calories per cup. Better to add 5 or less rather than nothing. In my opinion, every calorie counts.
  • Kristie18
    Kristie18 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I never knew that. I usually just count what I put in it. HMM~
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Im not sure but I can tell you one thing...I will NEVER give up my morning coffee!!!!! I dont think it will hurt us that much. we need to enjoy the simple pleasures of life!! A cup of coffee is better than the donut that used to go with it LOL
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Yes, there are calories in coffee. Depending on the brand and such. Some as low as two calories. But I have heard some black coffee has none. But again, I guess it depends on the brand you get and what they add to it.
    :)
  • SunLove8
    Options
    Im not sure but I can tell you one thing...I will NEVER give up my morning coffee!!!!! I dont think it will hurt us that much. we need to enjoy the simple pleasures of life!! A cup of coffee is better than the donut that used to go with it LOL

Heehehehheee, me too!!!
  • shezza737
    shezza737 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'vealways wondered this. And depending on which coffee i click on here, i get different amounts of calories. I have skimmed milk in mine ( no sugar or sweetener) but the coffee i select on here - one cup of nescafe coffee with skimmed milk - comes up at 30 calories.
    I just go with that now, but i have no idea if it is actually correct (does seem a lot to me) but like others have said, i would rather allow more than not enough.

But no way will i give up coffee either - i have about 4 cups a day too so that amounts to 120 of my daily calories.
  • Drea1713
    Drea1713 Posts: 13
    Options
    I also heard 5 cals but that's really not that much to enjoy heaven in a cup IMO. It's the stuff you put in it that has calories. I still use ful, fat and sugar in my cup lol I hate artificial sweetners. But I count my coffee into my cals. And I will gladly intake them that way
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options
    while i believe it is important to be diligent with logging everything you put into your body. I still feel that 5 calories is neglegible. don't sweat in. count it as 5 or 0, whichever youre more comfortable with.
  • SunLove8
    Options
    I count mine as 2 calories per cup. Better to add 5 or less rather than nothing. In my opinion, every calorie counts.

I agree as well. Just NEVER heard of black coffee (unflavored without anything added) having calories. Even MFP's database doesn't count the calories on plain black coffee. I think I'll def start doing it.
  • ChelseaRW
    ChelseaRW Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    This is my only vice...I cannot nor will not(lol) EVER give it up. Jillian Michaels gives herself chocolate daily and I give myself my coffee with creamer every day. Black coffee is minimal calories but I have to have it with creamer(its my sweet fix for most of the day) and I keep my total intake under 200 calories. For some reason 1TBSP just isn't enough per cup. Fellow coffee lovers unite!
  • surra
    surra Posts: 33
    Options
    I could see flavored coffee being a little more calories than non flavored. When they make flavored coffee, they take a blend of beans and soak them in flavored oils.
  • milehighcritic
    Options
    I log about 7 calories for a standard tumbler of black coffee. I am forced to use a French Press at the office. The coffee at work is horrible. You can taste the last three years of coffee in every pot. :(
  • EvilMomma
    EvilMomma Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I drink 1-2 cups each morning and its my vice. I drink it with real sugar (3 cubes) and real, heavy cream (2 tblsp, about). I make allowance for it in my total calories (1400) because I am in this for life and I won't give up the real pleasures. I don't do chocolate, I don't eat potato chips. Most mornings I have a single cup. This morning---2. Such is life. It means that I eat less at lunch.
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's accurate or not but better to have eaten fewer calories. I use the Coffee - Brewed from grounds option and enter it by size cup I make (as I change the amount of added coffee) I don't know what they base it on - tablespoon, teaspoon of grounds or what, but my 20 oz cup (black) usually runs about 6 calories. I don't use sugar and only add 1oz of 2% milk (16 cals) so my coffee is only 22 calories. I don't know if it makes a difference either but I mix mine 50/50 regular and decaf so it might even actually be less.
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big coffee drinker, but I do like my cappuccino's. My version anyway... I measured everything out & comes in under 70 cals. And that includes the caramel drizzle! (or skip the drizzle & it's about 45 cals) When I need a treat, that's what I make!
    Can you count black coffee or tea as water? WW used to be if it was decaf, you could count 1-2 a day, the rest they preferred you to drink water, but that was a long time ago, don't know about that now.
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I agree as well. Just NEVER heard of black coffee (unflavored without anything added) having calories. Even MFP's database doesn't count the calories on plain black coffee. I think I'll def start doing it.
    I don't know if you're using their standard entry or another one but the brewed from grounds I use has about 6 cals without anything (20 oz)
  • jessalice66
    jessalice66 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    you're brave to even have coffee straight up. it depends on the brand to how many calories it has but it wont be extremely high cal. personally i like green tea... now thats definitely a no cal treat!!
  • 3ur3ka
    3ur3ka Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I have 2-3 cups of coffee every single day. If I don't, I'm mean to everyone. It is better this way. I still stay under my goals most of the time. The way I look at it, at least it isn't cheesecake.
  • 3ur3ka
    3ur3ka Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big coffee drinker, but I do like my cappuccino's. My version anyway... I measured everything out & comes in under 70 cals. And that includes the caramel drizzle! (or skip the drizzle & it's about 45 cals) When I need a treat, that's what I make!
    Can you count black coffee or tea as water? WW used to be if it was decaf, you could count 1-2 a day, the rest they preferred you to drink water, but that was a long time ago, don't know about that now.

I've read articles that have said that tea hydrates you just as well as water so I count it. I'm not sure about Coffee.. if I make iced coffee I count it.
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    Maybe, but it's so low that I just consider it 'free'. Some people log every calorie (and everyone has to do what is right for them), but I know I didn't gain my weight by drinking too much black coffee. Or from putting too much salsa on my food. Or from eating too many steamed veggies.

Charmagne