Tuna

Options
Gwooh
Gwooh Posts: 80 Member
Is packet Tuna better for you than can tuna? I usually pick up can tuna in water...I noticed the sodium is pretty high. I thought I was doing a good thing by added the Tuna...now I have 5 cans sitting in my pantry...I'm afraid to eat them because of the sodium. Should I switch to packet tuna?:huh:

Replies

• swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Starkist has a low-sodium tuna that I have been eating recently!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I also get the pack of low sodium starkist tuna. It is the perfect size for a single serving.
  • xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx
    xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this - I love tuna but it seems everyway u can eat it is wrong except a tuna steak (which I love but cant afford) xxx
  • Geminieve24
    Geminieve24 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Yea you probably need to monitor your sodium intake, and from what I have heard, consuming to much tuna can increase your exposure to Mercury. Here's an article I have found:

http://www.edf.org/article.cfm?contentID=7682

Of course there are good and bads to anything so make the best judgement for you! But yea, watch the sodium.

I try to not consume any fish/meat products, so for me I usually have a soy protein shake. Low cal, and good source of protein!
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    1/2 can of tuna isn't goin' to kill you - or the sodium is not goin' to make you gain 10 lbs over night...We do need some sodium in our diet each day.

I normally have 1/2 can of tuna per week. I guess its really up to you.

Just be easy on the mayo - I don't use any mayo or dressin' - Plain tuna ontop of some field greens is pretty good - some may think the taste is plain - but it has worked for me...

Best wishes xo
  • strawberryromper
    strawberryromper Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It's already canned in water, so I suggest rinsing those off and eating them anyway. I'm not sure about packet tuna but I can't imagine it being much different. Hopefully someone knows otherwise. If you don't want to eat them, though, you could try exchanging them for low-sodium or donating them to a food bank.
  • Gwooh
    Gwooh Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Never thought about rinsing it off! Good idea. I try to rotate my lunches between chicken, tuna and Lean Cusinie if I must. Every now and then I will do a soup thats homemade for lower sodium.
  • marmite230
    Options
    I eat canned Tuna in Brine probably 3-4 times a week.
    1. Im not crazy from consuming too much Mercury
    2. The sodium isnt a problem if you're eating healthy, excersizing and drinking the required water.