Anyone Done the Master Cleanse?

Options
My boyfriend and I are going to do it come Sunday, any tips, or just words about what it was like?

please note that this is not really about the weight loss (although that wont be an unwelcome side effect) It's about re alkalizing my body and flushing out the toxins that I have accrued over the years and also becoming more in tune with my body/hunger symptoms etc.

Replies

• Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I've done it a few times. But I'm a faster.

I don't particularly like it that much. It is very harsh to the body compared to my other fasts. The salt water flushes gave me palpitations. Not saying don't do it, or that I won't ever do it again. But only on a very necessary basis. Too much detox too quickly
  • skinimin
    skinimin Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    What is the master cleanse? You can explain it in a message to me if you want. I'd google it but I try not to google diets/fasts/cleanses as they're mostly fads/wrong/unhealthy.
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I did with a friend & we made it through 7 days. We will not do it again, once was enough for both of us. It was difficult.
  • KaitKaz
    KaitKaz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I did it and lasted about 5 days. I had lots of energy, but couldn't do anything with it because of the intense headaches, which they warn you about. If I ever did it again I would probably incorporate some raw foods in to it. It wouldn't be the "master cleanse" anymore, but I think I'd get the same benefits (minus the migrains). Good luck, and don't push your self too hard :smile:
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You really don't need to do a cleanse. Your liver and kidneys cleanse your body, that's their job, they flush toxins out. It's true there can be toxins stored in your fat, but a cleanse won't get rid of them, only burning fat will. Once they've been released by burning fat your liver and kidneys will take care of them. And if you're eating properly, no processed foods, only fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean meats and low fat dairy, and drinking enough water, you won't be putting any toxins into your body.
  • mercedes160
    Options
    When I did it I did it for 17 days, the hardest part for me was drinking the sea salt, everyday, the taste was just awful, sometime I would feel queezy to the stomach, but I was determined to go as long as I could, my goal was to do it for 30 days, but the sea salt just would not allow me to meet my goal , yes it does cleanse you very well, my advise would be to drink the sea salt water in the evenings or when you are at home. the first few days you will feel hungry because you are not eating, but after that you will be okay. I am going to do it again, just not sure when. GOOD LUCK !!!!!!
  • kelligonzales
    Options
    You really don't need to do a cleanse. Your liver and kidneys cleanse your body, that's their job, they flush toxins out. It's true there can be toxins stored in your fat, but a cleanse won't get rid of them, only burning fat will. Once they've been released by burning fat your liver and kidneys will take care of them. And if you're eating properly, no processed foods, only fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean meats and low fat dairy, and drinking enough water, you won't be putting any toxins into your body.

Thank you i was thinking about doing a cleanse and now i will not. Go info along with everyone else thank you i don't want to do something that is harsh for body and it seems like this isn't the way to go.
  • Caprirenee925
    Options
    if you can get past the sea salt diarrheal effects the first 3 days and the starvation of the rest of them, knock it out... but I didn't .last and wouldn't recommend it.
  • Lexieberry
    Lexieberry Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Sounds like torture ;( i really don't think that would be the best thing for your body. Our bodies need food, just not hideously over-processed foods. Water is a miracle substance really, oh and your liver and kidneys for pumping out bad stuff! but if you choose to, good luck ;)
  • tsgaddy
    tsgaddy Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I tried it last year and couldn't get past day 3. When my cat starting looking yummy, I knew that it was time to stop. Also, only do the salt water flushes when you're at home for a few hours and if you and the boyfriend have at least 2 bathrooms in the house.
  • ourhearts4home
    Options
    I agree with the post that said you don't need to do cleanses. There are gentler ways to purify your system. Use caution when doing such hard cleanses. If your body is in a weakened state, doing a cleanse can actually make you more ill. Many of us need to build ourselves more than cleanse. But that's a whole other topic... Just use great caution.
  • BrianJLamb
    BrianJLamb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I dont know about the master cleanse. I did the salt water for one day. When I almost pooped my pants I was done with it.

I have done other cleanses. You need to eat food. You are going to lose a good amount of muscle mass not eating anything, which will ultimately make it harder to lose weight.

Our livers and kidneys do filter things out, but I have heard that toxins get store in fat and in fatty organs. Your body tries to hide them away to make them less toxic to us. I have also heard that part of what makes the last 5 to 10 lbs so hard to lose is that your body knows that bad stuff is being stored in there and it doesnt want to release it into your blood. I heard that detoxing releases that stuff into your blood, high fiber and water consumption will help move it out, and then the last couple of pounds will free up and be easier to lose. That is all just hearsay, btw.
  • hpygirl64ColleenLinder
    Options
    Many cleanses are not healthy so be careful. Many also leave you with headaches and weak. If you are wanting to do a cleanse I recommend doing one that is nutrient packed and not starving your body otherwise most of your weight loss will be in water and
    you'll gain it back after wards. It is good however to clean out the pipes once in a while if not for the weight loss but to give your
    body a break and rid it from the toxins. This usually has most loosing a minimum of 4 #'s of real weight loss (not water) and not leaving you starving at all. This is the cleanse I do every once in awhile and if your interested in learning more feel free to friend me and I'll be glad to help you in any way that I can.

3 day cleanse:

Water (large amounts)
    Green tea (at least 2 cups per day)
    No seasonings, salt or pepper
    2 fruits (only recommended if still hungry)
    1 large green salad with 4 oz of white protein (on or off the salad)
    3 Shakeology drinks per day

This equates to aprox. 950 calories (so your not starving your body, your getting healthy nutrients & vitamins), you WILL
    have lots of energy from this cleanse and you will reset your stomach, clean out your system, and be ready to take on the
    workouts never like before!!!

Happy & HEALTHY cleansing...... Colleen in Seattle (Friend me for daily inspirational "food for thought"