Options
    bump! :)
  • sheilabennett
    Options
    bump!
  • klininger
    klininger Posts: 44
    Options
    I'm bumping here to save this for easy finding later. Looks yummy!!
  • iinnocence11
    Options
    BUMP! :)
  • Purplegal
    Purplegal Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I do this with Sweet Potatoes all the time...tossed with some cinnamon. YUM!!

I want one of those slicer things...that's the worst part is cutting up the Sweet Potatoes..its hard!
  • mjames13
    mjames13 Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi i'm really excited to try this, but I'm curious about the calories, a regular baked potato on average has approx. 278 calories in it, ..would you say a portion of these fries that equals the amount of cals you wrote for one portion is about the size of a baked potato then? Just wondering because your calorie content for the portion size was pretty close to a baked potato. Sorry I can't remember what the exact number of calories you wrote per serving size. I might try this next week, so I'm just curious lol. Thanks in advance!
  • reander
    reander Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I hadn't even thought about freezing my own. What a great idea, thanks!
  • Diem30
    Diem30 Posts: 92
    Options
    Awesome I'm going to try this I've been missing french fries

Thank You!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Hi i'm really excited to try this, but I'm curious about the calories, a regular baked potato on average has approx. 278 calories in it, ..would you say a portion of these fries that equals the amount of cals you wrote for one portion is about the size of a baked potato then? Just wondering because your calorie content for the portion size was pretty close to a baked potato. Sorry I can't remember what the exact number of calories you wrote per serving size. I might try this next week, so I'm just curious lol. Thanks in advance!

Sounds like its about the same....that must be a big potato though. lol I get russet potatoes and they vary from 150 calories to 250 calories each (that's why I weigh them).
  • mjames13
    mjames13 Posts: 10
    Options
    i just punched in baked potato on here, and that was the calorie content, was pretty surprised that it was so high in a potato so i googled and sure enough, the same answer came up. Surprised me as i love those sliced canned white potatoes and a cup of them is only 80 cals?? so i guess i will stick with those over baked potatoes lol
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I love making baked french fries (because I really really missed fries when I started watching my calories)....but sometimes I wish I could just throw them in the oven and go from there (like you can when you get frozen fries from the store!), instead of having to peel, cut them up, etc etc....

I just found this on how to freeze the fries, and wanted to share. It still takes prep time, but I could sit down on a Sunday night and put together 3-4 family sized meal bags of frozen fries, that way during the week, I just throw them in the oven for a quick yummy tasty side. :)

Make ready-to-cook frozen French fries:

* Peel and cut the potatoes you want to freeze into "french fry lengths."
    * Boil cut potatoes in water until partially cooked.
    * Drain and place in a single layer on a sprayed sheet pan.
    * Freeze until solid; transfer to freezer bags or containers and put in freezer.

To cook the frozen French fries: toss frozen potatoes with 1-2 tbsp. of oil, add seasonings, place them in a single layer on a sheet pan and bake at 425 degrees until nicely browned. Turn occasionally. Serve.

I know a lot of MFP users know how to make baked french fries, but just in case you don't (and would like too) here are some directions.

My cheapy mandolin from Walmart, probably one of the best investments I made I think it was only around $12. But I use it all the time now For fries, or to slice up veggies etc.

img1353r.jpg

Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees - Then slice up the potatoes (you can peel first, or wash and leave skin on)
    I use regular russet potatoes, because that's what I usually have on hand. Sweet potatoes are good too (I know a lot of people who actually like them better)

This is about 1000 grams of potato I started weighing them because even though the serving size is on the bag I noticed half the potatoes are actually double the serving size. This will make enough for 4 people. (big servings)

img1354l.jpg

Put potatoes in a bag. Add 1 tbsp of oil. Mix well in bag.

img1357h.jpg

Then add seasonings, whatever you want. I like to use substitute salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika. Mix in bag again. Then put on baking pan. I like using a pizza pan because of the holes on the bottom, so it seems like it cooks both sides.

img1359v.jpg

Bake for 20 min, flip fries, then bake another 10 min. Broil briefly at the end for extra crispiness.

This comes out to around 299 calories per serving (and the servings are big, you could probably cut back, or make this so it serves 6 lol)....and it has under 10 grams of sodium per serving.
    Thank you!:flowerforyou: :wink:
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    You welcome :)