Measuring Pasta?

Options
just about to make some Catelli whole wheat pasta for lunch but im not sure whether to measure the past from the box or cooked?

Replies

• rebecca_goss0
    Options
    cooked!
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    definitely cooked! Pasta expands
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    The nutritional information on some boxes are for dry pasta. If it doesn't state cooked or dry on the box you can always low ball it and measure the pasta after it's been cooked.
  • mapnerd2005
    mapnerd2005 Posts: 363
    Options
    I measure by weight when it is dry
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Dry.
  • rebecca_goss0
    Options
    Most Pasta boxes tell you cooked.
  • booboocraig
    Options
    always measure it dry thats what i have been told :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    To the best of my knowledge the measure is dry not cooked. The easiest way to find out is look at the nutrition label, if it is anything like the ones here in Canada the measurement is given as a portion of the total box, (1/4, 1/5 of the box or the like), and in a weight measure (here it is in grams) look at the weight measure, multiply by the number of portions the box it supposed to contain, and the number should be close to the weight the box is supposed to contain which is calculated dry.
  • pkd1
    pkd1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    A 2oz serving of dry pasta relates to 1 cup cooked
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have to go with dry for my pasta, there's too much potential for variation weighing it cooked, like what do they call it al dente? where the noodles are just lightly cooked? they haven't absorbed as much water and you'd get less weight than pasta cooked almost to the point of falling apart into mush.
    So dry weight is all that will give consistent weights across the board that everyone can use from the same package of pasta
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    measure dry. The box will normally say. Pasta about doubles in size when cooked. So 1 cup dry = 2 cups cooked.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    2oz dry is usually 1/2 cup- 3/4 cup cooked depending on the kind of pasta. elbows, penne, rigatoni, etc expand more than spighetti and fettucini.