Calorie intake??

Options
Okay so I have a question... Due to my starting weight it put my calorie goal pretty high and I am having a hard time first of all consuming all of those calories and being okay with it. But with what I have been eating and how I have been eating 5-6 small meals a day I am not hungry.. But at the end of the day when I log the diary it is still telling me I am not eating enough calories... What to do??

Replies

• charlene77
    charlene77 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie goal?
  • bryantraymond
    Options
  • HellzBells
    HellzBells Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm getting the same message here. My goal is 1900 and I'm eating 1000-1400 on average and then I'm losing roughly 500 cal from my daily workout. I'm not hungry at all during the day, but MFP is telling me to be over 1200 a day.
  • maz00
    maz00 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    As long as you're above the minimum of 1200, I think you should be fine :) If your body is telling you to stop eating and you don't think it could be related to anything other than satiety, then stop eating!
  • joannrn01
    Options
    That sounds like a very high caloric intake!:smile:
  • sharonuk10
    sharonuk10 Posts: 277
    Options
    Eat higher calorie items.. such as nuts and nut butters. Other than that I cannot help.
  • eshogg
    eshogg Posts: 2
    Options
    That seems like a high amount. Isn't the recommended amount for maintaining weight for men only 2400? For women I think it's 2000. I'm a woman trying to lose 1.5 lbs. a week and I'm at 1200 calories per day.
  • Eng8791
    Eng8791 Posts: 3
    Options
    2610 sounds really high, unless you are working out a lot or training for something. You are able to change your calorie settings if you click under the "settings" tab.

You should probably aim for around 1500-1600 per day.
  • jtaliaferro
    Options
    I can tell you my calorie intake was pretty high when I started. I never really worried about making sure I met the calories they suggested. I stayed around 1500-1800 and I still lost weight, your millage may very though. Every one is different. FYI I think my starting calorie goal was about the same as you 2500 which is now 1900, I still to this day lose about two pounds a week taking in between 1500 - 1800 calories.
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I figured out that occasionally you have to reset your calories as you lose. Just go to settings, and enter your current weight, then hit the update button (or whatever it is called). Also, I think if your body is telling you to stop eating, then don't eat. MFP is using guidelines that are healthy and current according to national standards, however, as long as you eat enough to sustain your resting metabolic rate, I think you are ok. Especially if you are eating a well balanced diet. At least that's my opinion. I am struggling to eat all my calories to, but I feel very energetic, and better than i have in years. So I really just do the best I can!
  • mandalu292
    mandalu292 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    That sounds really high to me too... I would say to take it down to what you're comfortable with. As long as you're eating at least 1500 calories a day. Maybe some days you hit the higher number, but other days you only need say 1800. Go with what you're body is telling you... if you're not hungry, don't eat! =)

When I put my weight in the calorie intake suggested was higher than I'd like as well... so I just adjusted it down to 1500 calories and that's what I go with. Some days I eat more, some I eat less. Good luck!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Since you have a lot of weight to lose, you have much more flexibility in how big your calorie deficit (how many calories more you burn in the day than you eat) can be. Try to eat at least 1200 or better yet 1400 calories a day of good quality food, knowing you could eat more and still lose weight. Because you have a lot to lose, you can afford a big deficit, but if you find yourself running out of energy or getting lethargic, eat more by incorporating some higher calorie healthy foods like unsalted almonds, avocado, and the like.

As you lose weight, you will have to be more careful with your calorie deficit. And as you approach your goal, you will have to raise your calories closer to what you need to maintain your weight and have less of a deficit each day.
  • charlene77
    charlene77 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    The calorie goal is probabley high (sounds really high) because of the amount of weight you have to lose, you are male and I'm guessing a bit tall? If you go onto my friends list, I have a friend named REman. Look at his food diary. Add him as a friend and talk to him. He just reached his goal and has a great diet that works for him. I believe his calorie goal was 1700-1900. Pick his brain :) I would say if you are eating 5-6 small meals a day, getting your nutrients, fiber ect. you are just fine. My goal is 1500 and 8 glasses of water, I'm usually under or just over. The more I workout, the more energy I need. 2600 just seems way too high. You will find that if you are eating say 1700, you'll lose alot of weight at first and as you get smaller it'll slow down.

How many calories are you actually eating now?
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    My partner's weight loss diet is 2000 calories a day. He burns 3000. He's a bigger guy and pretty active (on his feet) all day. So, your goal is not unreasonably high.

My suggestion is to double check all your numbers (height/weight/activity level) and try what MFP suggests for at least 3 weeks. If you arent' losing or are gaining, then adjust your calories at that time.

Added: In order to meet your calorie goals, eat more nutrient dense foods. ALmonds, 2% milk, olive oil, cheese, lean beef, etc.
  • bryantraymond
    Options
    Thanks everyone... I will take a look at it and see what adjustments I can make.. have i mentioned how amazing this site is..
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I love what you are doing as far as the 5-6 meals a day, that has been key for me. You need to listen to your body most importantly. Don't force calories in you that you dont think you need. Just make sure you are getting enough without going into starvation.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    my base is about 2000 and my workout is allowing me another 900.for a total of 2900
    i eat low cal good home made food when i am hungry and log accurately about 1500 per day

I'm down 16 pounds in 5 weeks and rarely feel hungry.
    That's a bit faster than I want but I expect it to slow down as the weight goes down.
    I'm trying to get used to lifetime healthy eating and exercise, not diet.
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation as you.

6`3", 282lbs starting weight. My average calorie burn (BMR +life style+ Exercise) is about 3900 calories/day. So I could eat 3900 calories and maintain my weight theoretically.

I aim for 2400 calories per day, which would mean a 1500 calories deficit and 3lbs/week fat loss. In reality i lost 15lbs in 2months, a perfect rate in my opinion.

I eat 5-6 meals per day. 3 times 500 calorie meals + 3 times 300 calorie snacks makes up my 2400 calories.

All these woman are reinforcing your idea that 2600 calories is way to big, but for guys our size, 2600 calories is still creating a large deficit. That being said, if eating 2200 calories fills you up in a day, make that your objective. I have a feeling bigger guys can handle larger deficits. We need more calories becasue we are bigger, i don`t think it would be smart to go under 2000 calories.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options

All these woman are reinforcing your idea that 2600 calories is way to big, but for guys our size, 2600 calories is still creating a large deficit.

Hey not all!! I said it was probably fine (if his numbers are accurate)