Depressed, need support :(

Options
It's so hard to loose weight when you are depressed. It's been a bad week and it's only Wednesday..I just found out that I failed my final exam for my master's degree and have to take it over again. I haven't felt this low in a very long time! I hate holding back tears while I'm at work. I got straight A's the entire program and now this!

Replies

• beachbumdoug
    beachbumdoug Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hang in there, you can do it.. you can add me if you like.. we are all in this for the same goal..
  • nickyevans
    nickyevans Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    *hug*
  • ashleynicoleh04
    ashleynicoleh04 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I was always taught -in ten years is this even going to matter to you? Like in ten years you are going to be so over this failing the Exam. I have learned about life in three words. It goes on. You can do it! Just study study study and take it again!!! Everything happens for a reason and if you work at it you will pass it :)
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your exam. I have two suggestions: 1) go to God with your disappointment and depression, and 2) exericse--when you exercise it releases endorphines, and they help you to feel better. Exercise is medicinal...at least, it is for me.
  • LFern
    LFern Posts: 141
    Options
    Hang in there sunshine - you got straight A's so maybe it's a matter of having a really difficult test. Or distractions during the test? :bigsmile:

Can you retake the test? :huh:

What area's did you get wrong, study those even more next time.:grumble:

All is not lost just because of ONE test!! You regroup. Refocus and get back in the saddle and CHARGE it full force! Never accept defeat as an option! :noway:

P.s. I love your profile picture. I used to have a Yorkie named Crickette -I miss her SO much! I now have a shakey nervous chihuahua named Snickerz Diezel Doodlez - she needed a big name cause she's only 3 1/2 lbs! LOL!

Brush yourself off and give yourself credit for getting all those A's!!! :happy:

Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Depression is rough and icky. I've been going in and out of it for years. Im so so sorry about your Masters class.

Just remember (I know it's easier said that done), you're going to achieve your goal of that Masters Degree! You will re-take the class, no matter how annoying it is, and you will walk down that giant aisle proudly when the time is right. Things happen for the most strange reasons that sometimes, we never find the answers to.

When I've been in your position (well, mental state, I guess I should say), I take my anger, sadness, and frustrations out on jogs, kick boxing, and punching bags. Also, I began writing a novel, because it was a safe outlet for my feelings, no matter what kinds they were.

Stay strong, not just in weight loss, but in your life situation. This is just a little baby road block.
  • Munchiemooka
    Munchiemooka Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel as I have battled with depresion years and had both the scales go up and down drastically. I now see using MFP as my way of telling it that it is not going to control my weight and this site and the people on it help me achive this. Keep healty snacks to hand for when you feel low and just need to eat and my way of not letting those chocolate cravings get to me is have single wrapped ones so that I can have the chocolate if I need/want it and dont have a whole bar :)

You have done so well on getting A's on you masters degree dont let one fail let you slip, you can take it again and you will succeed :)
  • usmcpatience
    Options
    I'm so very sorry that you're having to deal with depression in addition to your weight loss goals.

Having anxiety disorder myself, I am rather prone to depression. I've had some pretty bad times myself, and I am so sorry you're having to deal with it. It is not fun. The two times in my life I struggled with depression where: The first time my husband deployed to Iraq, and when my little brother (17 years old) passed away in a car accident in July of 2009...A month later my husband had to leave for his third deployment.

I write to help with my depression, but during one of my major depressions, I've also taken some medication. Have you spoken with your doctor? There are lots of places that can help, and medication isn't always the answer.

Also, until you get a handle on the emotional aspect of things, you might find you need to take a bit of a break from your diet/exercise routine. That's not to say I think you should sit on your butt and pig out, I'm just saying perhaps counting the calories and stepping on the scale is adding to your stress...and thus your depression. It's just a thought. I'm sure you'll do the right thing for you.

Just know that all of your fellow MFPers are here for support, whatever you decide. I pray that you will get over this sad time with flying colors. I pray that you'll do great on your next test. Now you know what to expect, so perhaps you can re-arrange how you study for the test. Good luck, knovello.

Hang in there...
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    when i was at uni i failed and had to repeat at least 4 or 5 whole subjects, let alone just a single exam.

you will nail the resit no dramas and if you dont, well, you just do it all over again. there is plenty of worse things out there than having to redo some uni work.

can you get recordings of some lectures? if so get them and listen to them while you are working out., that way you can lose one stone with 2 birds (see what i did there?)
  • usmcpatience
    Options
    Wow...please forgive all of my grammatical mistakes. Apparently brain does not function before 9am.
  • knovello82
    knovello82 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the words of encouragement. Yes I can retake it but the hard part is, I don't even know what I did wrong. It's an online program and the exam is all written. I tutored writing when I went for my BA so I guess that's why it is so hard to accept the failure. I don't think I'll even be able to see what I did wrong in order to correct myself. Part of the reason it's so hard is that I have to face everyone asking me "so did you pass your exam???" and having to admit the failure. In the beginning of the week I found out that this scam site has been taking money out of my account too, so I was already depressed.

I know I will get through this and hopefully will pass the next time. Life is tough sometimes. I have already been considering going back on medication and going back to therapy...I guess it's no time like the present!!
  • Munchiemooka
    Options

I know I will get through this and hopefully will pass the next time. Life is tough sometimes. I have already been considering going back on medication and going back to therapy...I guess it's no time like the present!!

Has to be done sometimes and there is no shame in it, I belive it is the first step in getting back to where you want to be, chin up you can do it :)
  • donsch
    donsch Posts: 40
    Options
    Hang in there. I had to take my praxis two times; a lady who was at the test site thed day I was taking it said it was her 7th time taking it. This too shall pass.
  • knovello82
    knovello82 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hmm...they said I can either re-take this weekend or wait another month. It's not something I can study for. Not sure what I should do.
  • Munchiemooka
    Options
    I would be tempted to just get it out of the way so you can put it behind you and enjoy the rest of the weekend.... Unless of course you really dont feel upto it, in that case you can prepar yourself for the expeience even if you cant revise for it.. Either way good luck :)