Question on Cardio calories

Options
Is the calorie calculator right as far as cardio exercise is concerned? For example if I do 45 minutes on the eliptical it tells me I burned around 400 cal, but MFP claims I had burned over 800 cal. Who do I believe?

Replies

• chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    MFP is quite generous and since it is not taking your pulse or HR measurements it is definitly not accurate. Before I got my HRM I went by what the elliptical said (as long as it has you put weight, age, etc and has the grips to read your HR). Defintly more on target than the websites generic.

For example: MFP doesn't know if you did 45 minutes a 1 mph or 5 mph so there is no way to gauge accuracy.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    DOnt believe MFP! its wrong. go with what the machine is saying. and the best option is to get a heart rate moniter... that is the most accurate option.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    MFP is quite generous and since it is not taking your pulse or HR measurements it is definitly not accurate. Before I got my HRM I went by what the elliptical said (as long as it has you put weight, age, etc and has the grips to read your HR). Defintly more on target than the websites generic.

For example: MFP doesn't know if you did 45 minutes a 1 mph or 5 mph so there is no way to gauge accuracy.

Just make sure you enter your age and weight into the machine.
  • bbonney
    bbonney Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you have an app phone get the cardio trainer app...it's normally really close. When in doubt go with the lowest.
  • ROBYNBADOR
    ROBYNBADOR Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You will also want to take into consideration that the machines at a gym have a set weight that they default to. I go to Planet Fitness and the weight programmed into the machines is 155.... but I weight less than that, so in order for me to get an accurate reading of how many calories I burned, I had to manually put my weight in at the beginning of my workout. I didn't know about this until I questioned why MFP and the gym machines always said something different too! And, unfortunately, the gym machines were saying I burned more than I really was (because my weight was less than the 155 the machine was set for).
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Is the calorie calculator right as far as cardio exercise is concerned? For example if I do 45 minutes on the eliptical it tells me I burned around 400 cal, but MFP claims I had burned over 800 cal. Who do I believe?

and this is pretty close anyways. If I push myself really hard I can do 12 calories a miinute. SO 8-10 calories is about average in my opinion! just make sure you enter your information either way. your weight and age!
  • mgalley
    mgalley Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome thanks for the quick response. That makes more sense. 800 calories in 45 minutes sounded way to good to be true.