Smoking and Exercise

Options
Anyone have any tips to quit smoking? I know I could work out harder if I didnt smoke. I changed brand to ones with a lower amount of tar (I know - an addicts logic is kinda skewed). Alot of people say exercise makes people want to smoke less, if at all. I find myself killing myself while exercising because I know when I am done I can reward myself with a smoke. In the past I have been addicted to many things, all bad for my health and have been able to quit. Cigarettes are a different beast. The last 2 unhealthy vices or addictions I have are cigarettes and food (mostly under control - well, 90% of the time). Help me, please and thank you.

Replies

• catysthename
    catysthename Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Watch out, when you quit smoking you might end up gaining a little weight back. Smoking decreases the urge to eat.
    Do not take the medication that helps you quit. It causes SEVERE night terrors that seem real. >.<
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    We have tried putting a dollar in a jar every time you have a cigarette. That way it sorta makes you think about whether you really want it or not, and it also puts money aside for clothes when you go down a size :)
  • cheangela
    cheangela Posts: 173
    Options
    I am having pretty good success with Wellbutrin. Month 2!!

My quit story was pretty much parallel to yours. I actually trained for and completed a marathon without quitting. Heck, afterwards I had a cigarette with my race bib still pinned on. When I got a trophy in the mail 6 weeks later, I was shocked to learn that I took first place in the chub runners (bonnydale/Athena) field.

I've tried everything. Now I just stuff carrots, snow peas, and other veggies in my piehole all day to take care of the mild oral fixation that I still have despite the Wellbutrin. That kind of took care of the food issue too.
  • kioga86
    kioga86 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Watch out, when you quit smoking you might end up gaining a little weight back. Smoking decreases the urge to eat.
    Do not take the medication that helps you quit. It causes SEVERE night terrors that seem real. >.<

The night terrors of which you speak is a side effect that does not effect all people. My father used Chantix, had the night terrors, ended up stopping the medication, and is still smoking. I used Chantix, did not have night terrors, kept using the medication, and have been smoke free for over 6 months.

Really, you just need to be ready and find what's right for you. When you're ready, you'll be successful. If you're not ready, it won't work.
  • jenwrath
    jenwrath Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Go to smokefree dot gov to get tons of free information, phone numbers to call and ask a professional for tips on quiting, etc. There are a lot of resources for people in your position and that website is a great place to start. It can even help you find resources in your local area for quitting. It is a beast, but you can do it! Find some support, be patient with yourself, and stay strong. Good luck!
  • Fat2Flawless
    Options
    I just quit smoking about three weeks ago. I used the electric cigarettes. You can choose different strengths from regular, menthol, light, or no nicotine for just the habit. I got the NJoy and I love them. After only three days I couldn't even stand the taste of a smoke and I have already weaned myself to the light nicotine levels. I am very confidant and know that this is a great method for me. It was an initial investment of 70.00 but has only cost me 20.00 since. A cartridge lasts me about three days and I get five in a pack for 20.00. I hope this helps, if you have any questions get ahold of me! Oh and the 70.00 kit was for a two person kit so it would be cheaper if just you!
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I quit 4 years ago after 37 years of heavy smoking. I used Wellbutrin (from my Dr) and the patch. In Colorado, smokers pay through taxes for people to quit. It is called the Colorado Quit line. They provide the patches of gum for free along with counseling. It worked for me. I can now out walk my hubbie who never smoked :bigsmile:
  • cheangela
    cheangela Posts: 173
    Options
    Oh, and that "gaining weight" malarky is a weak excuse. I lost 15 pounds so far WHILE QUITTING. Like I said...

Your Piehole + Veggies = Too full to care about fried goodness or cigarettes :-D
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Wed 03/02/11 11:02 AMWe have tried putting a dollar in a jar every time you have a cigarette. That way it sorta makes you think about whether you really want it or not, and it also puts money aside for clothes when you go down a size :)

I have refurnished my house, new flooring and vacations with the money I save.
  • sadiddy_barbiee
    Options
    i have the same problem. after and before i work out i "need" a cigarette. i didnt have the time to get some last week and i continued my exercise routine and i noticed that i felt a whole lot better. not out of breath as much, and just overall ...better. i have asthma and i noticed my chest wasnt as tight. BUT of course i still went out to buy a pack and i dont feel that "better" feeling after i work out..so i know that i need to stop, i just need to find the will power. i would consider for you to go without smoking for like a week or 5 days, just to see what a difference it makes. WE BOTH NEED TO QUIT LOL. HELP !
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Personally, I use a PV [personal vaporizer], AKA an e-cig. It's gotten me off of smoking cigarettes, but I still get my nicotine fix. It hasn't hindered my weight loss or my breathing for workouts. In fact, I breathe so much better, I can outlast my brother who is a non-smoker and works out with me. If you would like more information regarding e-cigs, I suggest starting off here:

www.e-cigarette-forum.com for any questions you may have about looking into investing in one.
  • LindsayChick
    LindsayChick Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend going to see your doctor about ways to quit. Wellbutrin and Chantix have helped thousands of people. It could help you too! Keep up the good work! ;)
  • thegirl68
    thegirl68 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Lozenges worked for me - 568 days quit so far.

Here is some information on a study that says that the Nicotine Patch Plus Lozenge Appears Best For Smoking Cessation - maybe this would help you too.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/11/091102171407.htm