What are the reasons behind a private food diary?

Options
I am wondering why some people choose to keep their food diaries private? The only reason I can think of is that when you have a day you "overindulged" it may feel embarrassing to tell the whole world, yes, I ate 5 pieces of pizza and went over my calorie goal. We are all human and have "bad eating days" but aren't we here to support each other? If you can't be honest and open with those who are in the same boat and trying to help you achieve your goals, I highly doubt you are being honest with yourself. I love having mine to share with my friends so that I can get advice or just to keep me thinking during the day, "do I really want to put that I ate a huge bag of M&M's for dinner?". I also enjoy reading others for ideas to help my own meals and ways to keep my calories down. So, maybe it comes down to each individual person, and I respect that, I just feel it would do more good to make the food diaries public to keep you in check but maybe I'm missing something!? :)

Replies

• erikblock
    erikblock Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Agreed.
  • eyt2003
    eyt2003 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Amen!! Now let me check my profile to be sure mine isn't private. LOL
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I dont care if anyone sees my bad days,but when I get unsolicited advice thats I didnt want or ask for it gets on my nerves so I keep mine viewable to friends only
  • alingle77
    alingle77 Posts: 24
    Options
    I totally agree ! I love seeing what food ideas I can use too...
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I keep mine viewable to friends only. I just feel more comfortable doing it this way. If I'm looking for meal ideas I just head to Recipes on the Message Boards.
  • ItsOn130
    ItsOn130 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Maybe some people aren't aware that it is set to private?
  • MamaReebs
    MamaReebs Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I don't keep mine public, but I do allow my friends to see it. I think that it is way more encouraging that way. I like to be able to comment on specific stuff my friends ate that was good and I like my friends to do the same for me. I don't think I need all of MFP seeing my eating habits though.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Mine is open :]

but some people do not liked to be judged for what they eat and when. Its their own business :]
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Not in my case. I eat relatively few calories and i don't want going on about "starvation mode". I think the "reasons" given in the opening post say more about the OPs mindset than about those who keep their food diary private.
  • WanabeHotMama
    WanabeHotMama Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Amen!! Now let me check my profile to be sure mine isn't private. LOL

LOL!!! ;)
  • PrincessLacey
    Options
    yeah it's embarassment -shrugs-
    or at least it is for me.
    i don't even tell my mom what i eat,i sneak just about everything :/
    awful i know but i feel ashamed to eat especially junk.
  • MamaReebs
    MamaReebs Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Maybe some people aren't aware that it is set to private?
    That is true. I did not know that was the default until someone pointed it out to me so I could change it.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    You make a point, but... I too do not like unsolicited advice and it was like yesterday that I saw someone copy and past the calorie totals froma friend's diary into a post to get folks to try to help her with her "eating disorder." There are days I don't log, days I go over, and sometimes I eat a cookie or something. I'm not interested in hearing other people talk about it unless I ask them to and invite them to see it.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I think some people just want to track their calories to track their calories. Some folks are just here for information and support. To each their own :)
  • qtwells82
    qtwells82 Posts: 352
    Options
    There was a topic floating around yesterday about someone bashing another girls food diary. This is why i want mine private. I'm not ashamed of what I eat...just too many trolls out there looking for drama
  • melleyd
    melleyd Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I had mine open but now I'm trying the calorie zig zagging and when you change your goals, it changes everything and looks like you went over, etc. I don't have time to explain it to everyone! They see if I stayed under on the newsfeed. I eat very healthy though, maybe I should open it to my friends to give them some good ideas.
  • CalorieNinja
    CalorieNinja Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I dont care if anyone sees my bad days,but when I get unsolicited advice thats I didnt want or ask for it gets on my nerves so I keep mine viewable to friends only

My sentiments exactly
  • WanabeHotMama
    WanabeHotMama Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I guess I should've also stated that I mean people that are strictly private, not even allowing their friends to view. So far I haven't received any negative comments about my diary (although comments could definitely be made!) I'm in no way claiming that I eat perfectly or that I am where I should be by any means, I just think it helps to keep us all on track & be really honest with yourself! :)
  • Maztastic
    Maztastic Posts: 43
    Options
    I'm using my phone primarily to access the site. I'm not sure whether my diary is private or not.
  • rebecky27
    rebecky27 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    agree with this! there are some people who do great with whole foods and like to lecture those of us who do turn to packaged foods for healthy eating while super busy (my daily lunch at work is usually a lean cuisine meal). It's my choice. My diary is open to friends only.