Having problems eating enough calories.

Options
I am having a problem eating the minimum number of calories. I just started tracking and by the end of today I still need to eat 360 calories. I know we should eat the minimum amount which is 1208 for me but I am having a hard time getting it in. What do I do? Eat more?

Replies

• jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Are you eating any healthy fats? Avocado? Almonds? Olive Oil? Salmon? Almond Butter? Peanut Butter?

Those things can be added in small quantities to add extra calories and good fat to your diet.
  • thebomb4
    thebomb4 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Try adding some mixed nuts to your daily intake.....they're high in calories (and fat but good fats) and are good for you, I had 10 macadamia nuts today as a snack and they added a staggering 203 calories to my diary. Did I mention they were yummy too!? :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat more food, just eat food that is more calorie dense.
    Eat nuts or seeds as a snack, switch from skim to 1% milk (or 1% to 2%) eat full fat versions of things (sour cream, yogurt, cottage cheese, salad dressings) Add olive oil to soups and sauces, add avocado to salads and sandwiches. Have a glass of juice instead of 1 glass of water.

Again you don't have to eat more food just make different food choices if you are having trouble eating enough calories
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I WISH I had this problem! I could eat fats all day long! :bigsmile:
  • debcoug
    debcoug Posts: 12
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the advice, this does help.
  • kimwig
    kimwig Posts: 164
    Options
    I am having a problem eating the minimum number of calories. I just started tracking and by the end of today I still need to eat 360 calories. I know we should eat the minimum amount which is 1208 for me but I am having a hard time getting it in. What do I do? Eat more?
    If you are overweight and the food you have consumed today has the nutrition needed ( ie vitamins, protein) and you are not hungry you do not need to eat more ( ie do not eat if you are not hungry).

Trust me there will be days when you have eaten your calories and are still hungry.

Calories have become a proxy for nutrition - they are not. You can be under your "calories" when you are overweight, whilst still having the vital things you need.

Remember you are trying to get your body to go to your fat store to give you energy (that you would have taken from food being eaten). You are not going to die if you are under your calories, not hungry and chose not to eat.
  • debcoug
    debcoug Posts: 12
    Options
    Thank you so much for the advice. I am eating all the necessary food groups, but they are low in calories and I am not hungry nor do I have cravings. I am 60 pounds over weight.
  • kimlausan
    kimlausan Posts: 39
    Options
    I'm having this issue lately.