Embarassing....question.

Options
2»

Replies

• wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Fiber, can do 2 things. It can harden the poo, or if too much, can make it runny. Maybe try to find a better balance of fiber. A couple of days try less and see if that helps. If it doesn't, then try more....it's hard to find the right balance.
  • jitterbug89
    jitterbug89 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've been suffering from this same thing for the past few weeks. Nothing was happening so unfortunately I had to take a dose of laxatives as an emergency source because I felt so awful on Sunday. Something that I've noticed is that sometimes fiber isn't enough. For me, I have to eat VOLUME to get anything going.

I would suggest eating oatmeal/ cheerios in the morning for breakfast (these are both great sources of insoluble fiber and soluble fiber) and then eat some whole grain pasta for dinner. Not only will you get high quality fiber, but you will also create that bulk that you need. Sometimes it's just a problem of not having enough food to pass. If all else fails, I would suggest one dose of a laxative (just to get something going and to relieve symptoms) and then try to drink a lot of fluid, whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. And try to stay away from too much meat or high protein items, seeing as these can constipate you as well. I hope that helps!! Get better! :)
  • nikkinikki113
    nikkinikki113 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I agree with all previous posters - I also wanted to share a smiliar story. When my daughter was born, she stopped having BM's for about 4 weeks, when she did go, it was very little. This lasted until I introduced cereal and formula. No pain, no hard belly, no straining to "try". I took her for x-rays, ultrasounds, gave her juice to "help". After all that, it turns out that she was prefectly healthy. I was breastfeeding, so she literally had no "waste". When you only put in your body good things, it uses everything, and has less to get rid of.
  • slimnik129
    Options
    excercise can really help that, and so can water! Drink more than the 8 cups a day if you are having that problem, it really helps the fiber do its work! Good Luck
  • MrsSanthoff
    MrsSanthoff Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I drink a Lot of water and I have the same problem! I suggest either drink coffee or hot green tea to keep you regulated....or ACT-I-VI-A!!!
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Wonderful article on Fiber (both kinds) complete with guidelines for men and women both under and over 50 (it makes a difference) is available at the Mayo Clinic web site.

Here's a link: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fiber/NU00033
  • Badger1201
    Options
    Beware water toxicity. Water is nice, but don't overdo it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    I had this issue as well. As long as you are feeling ok, no pain/cramping/excessive bloating i wouldnt worry about it too much. After a few weeks things leveled back out for me although i don't "go" as much as i used to. I agree that the healthy eating produces less waste.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I agree with all previous posters - I also wanted to share a smiliar story. When my daughter was born, she stopped having BM's for about 4 weeks, when she did go, it was very little. This lasted until I introduced cereal and formula. No pain, no hard belly, no straining to "try". I took her for x-rays, ultrasounds, gave her juice to "help". After all that, it turns out that she was prefectly healthy. I was breastfeeding, so she literally had no "waste". When you only put in your body good things, it uses everything, and has less to get rid of.

This is a great point, I have noticed I have to 'go' much less often than when I was eating crap food. I guess there is a reason they call it 'crap' :laugh: Also I have found that when I have the rabbit turd problem that drinking a bunch of water helps free things up. I wish you the best of luck.
  • becca32887
    Options
    This is funny cause I have the same problem... I wanted to ask on here today but I did some research about it. THere are all sorts of things to get the pooping going again...like today i drank some coffee( which I never do) and I went twice!!! But I definitlt agree with the others about the increase in fiber takes time to adjust....I wish it would adjust faster..haahaha

but I am pumping the waater and everything......just do that and maybe try some coffee or they also say juice or a tablespoon of olive oil.
    Good luck and I am right here with you.. I hope we get better soon and start pooping more...hahaha don't worry its a natural thing!!

:D
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    For me, water is really the key. I slack off on my water drinking on the weekends a bit and I always end up a little uncomfortable!
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    Most likely because you are eating less waste that needs to be passed out......You eat a masive carb meal like a pizza and hell u will go the next day !
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I have heard, and I may be wrong here, that if you're eating better your body has less (pardon the unintentional pun) crap foods to process, and more good foods, so your body soaks up the good. And you just have smaller 'turds'. But also drink more water, increase your fiber and yada yada

This is true. In addition, when people start eating healthy, there are alot of changes to thier diet. Some eat less carbs, or just less altogether which ultimately causes you to consume less carbs. Carbs create the bulk for your stool. If you eat less, then there is less produced.

I wouldn't worry about the smaller amount, unless ofcourse you feel bloated from it or its causing pain/discomfort. I work in healthcare, most often with elderly individuals... and alot of them are seriously obsessed with thier bowels. They eat less than they did when they were younger as thier body needs less but they still feel the need to go as often as they used to which really isn't necessary.

If you are getting your fibre, water and exercise in, then you are doing everything right and it shouldn't be a concern unless, as I stated earlier you feel bloated or experience pain/discomfort.
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I use the box of Benefiber's fiber mix drink that comes with 16 shake packets. I have only tried the Kiwi Strawberry and it is my favorite!!!!! It keeps everything moving...and it might just be me (I tell everyone this) but I feel like it makes my stomach flatter...lol Good luck :-) It also helps that I am an avid coffee drinker.
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    i tried the non-thickening benefiber mix, and i didn't notice much of a difference. so i tried 1/3 cup of prune juice before bed, this has definetly helped for me. not nearly as much as when i was eating fast food all the time, but i think i am ok with that :P
  • milehighcritic
    Options
    Prune Juice ---- Nature's Broom. :)
  • FILLE
    FILLE Posts: 45
    Options
    I agree with all the above posts,LOTS OF WATER!
    I would add that I use beano to help with the excess gas becasue of eating more veggies and fiber... Here in Canada (Northern Ontario to be more specific) we have it in tablettes. You chew 2-3 with your first bite of food... It helps break down the enzymes that produces gas.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I don't poo, but if I did, it would look like daisies and smell like orange blossoms.
  • lwillenborg
    Options
    I have the same problem a lot of time and the less harsh route is miralax. It's tasteless and you can add it to your coffee or green tea. Drinking tea on a regular basis will help as well because tea of any kind is a natural diuretic. Hope your rabbit turds turn big soon! lol!