For those of you that use Whey protein

izzys1mom
izzys1mom Posts: 51
edited September 24 in Food and Nutrition
Can you tell me why you use it? What are the benifits?? Sorry if this is an ignorant question, I just have no idea...I get a lot of good lean protein in my meals.

Replies

• I don't know...cuz Jillian Michaels has her name on it?
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    I have a protein shake immediately after exercising. The protein goes straight to my muscles (because it just has to be absorbed, not digested) to help them recover and repair themselves faster.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    My daily protein goal is 240g. Whey protein helps me get to that level without too much additional fat or carbs. I typically ingest about an hour after exercise.

Tim
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Whey protein is the most biologically available protein. Basically, that means that it is the easiest for the body to use to help with muscle repair and growth. So, I use a whey protein when I'm lifting heavy in order to repair the muscle damage and provide the building blocks for muscle growth. And as I'm currently learning in my Advanced Nutritional Therapy class, its also important for people who have been ill or had surgery to also have a good biologically available protein to help them heal faster.

I use a private label brand. It's one I tested out for a gym a few years ago and can order with my name on it if I want. But as I haven't gone into supplement sales for my clients, I just buy the version they have with their generic label and use it personally because I liked it. There are several different brands out there though. Most of them are good quality. The difference is the taste for most of them because the different companies use different flavoring methods and products. My best suggestion is that if you want to add a protein supplement, get small quantities of several and try them. Then pick the one that you like the taste of best.
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    post workout you body craves protein. It builds your muscles up.

A protein shake is the best way to get protein to your muscles. I have a high protein requirement, 190grams out of my 2400 daily calories, so a shake with 25-30 grams of protei nhelps me get there.

The shakes you can make with it are delicious too.
  • kimlausan
    kimlausan Posts: 39
    Does too much protein make you gain weight?
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Does too much protein make you gain weight?

Your body will store it as fat what it doesn't use. Read it last night in Oxygen magazine. :)
  • kimlausan
    kimlausan Posts: 39
    YIke!!!! So I guess the question is HOW much should you have in a day? Protein that is?
  • I struggle to eat in the mornings, and find a protein smoothie to be simple enough for me to put together whilst half-asleep, and drink while getting ready in the morning. I have two recipes I use

Chocolate Raspberry
    1 scoop Designer Whey chocolate protein powder
    1 cup unsweetened chocolate almond milk
    1/2 cup frozen raspberries

Vanilla Sunshine

1 scoop Designer Whey vanilla protein powder
    1/2 cup frozen mixed fruit (current blend has peach, mango, strawberry)
    1/2 banana
    1cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk

I have one of these around 8am, although they'd also be tasty as a desert.
  • kevanos
    i think too much anything will make you gain weight.

Not 100% sure about protein. Their is a limit of about 30g/hour I think that your body can process protein. I think that excess protein goes through your kidneys though and that can lead to complications.

I read that if much more than 30% of your calories come from protein it can be bad.
  • kevanos
    YIke!!!! So I guess the question is HOW much should you have in a day? Protein that is?

there are 4 calories per gram of protein

take you daily calories, divide by 4, then multiple by 0.3 (for 30% of your daily calories to come from protein)

example

2000cal / 4 X 0.3 = 150g
  • tsgaddy
    tsgaddy Posts: 96 Member
    I'm a vegetarian (well technically a "pescatarian") and on days that I don't want fish, I supplement my protein with a shake
  • As everyone else said I drink it right after a work out to restore nutrients and rebuild muscle tissue. I actually drink it daily -normally for breakfast- even on days I don't work out because it almost serves as a meal replacement as it is very filling. There is a measuring cup and directions on the packaging saying how much you should take a day. I normally add fruits and milk to make it taste better, but it's not too bad with just milk because mine is vanilla flavoured. If you are really concerned about calories try it with skim milk or even water.
  • izzys1mom
    izzys1mom Posts: 51
    Thanks everyone!!! I think a protein/fruit shake for breakfast sounds great :)
  • Whey Protein has the largest number of BCAAs (branch chain amino acids) of any natural food. Someone already explained about how well it gets aborbed/used by the body post-workout.

For me, I'm lactose-intolerant. There are whey protein powders that are lactose-free, which is awesome. I mix mine with soy milk and now I get plenty of calcium (from the soy milk and the powder) on a regular basis. I drink a shake every morning for breakfast and toss in some ground flax seeds and a liquid multivitamin. It's better than coffee at waking me up!

I also use a shake as a meal-replacement if I'm super-busy. I will also drink one before and after a workout if I know the workout is going to be pretty intense.

If you can find one sweetened with Stevia, it's a great way of getting protein and calcium without a lot of fat or carbs. The vast majority of carbs in my protein smoothies come from the fruit I put in them.
This discussion has been closed.